Did everyone quit the game?

Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
game?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
    > game?

    Maybe we're playing instead of writing about playing. :)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:25:44 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
    >game?

    Group tends to go quiet from time to time. :p I think part if it is
    the forums are actually far more pleasant to post on than most MMOs'
    forums, so they don't fall back to Usenet as much.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Not only are the forums better behaved but this group is too. Some of
    those other ones...

    Ick.
    --
    As I learn the innermost secrets of those around me, they reward me in
    many ways to keep me quiet.

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:25:44 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    > Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
    > game?

    Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
    issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs, all for the purpose of adding
    a half-hearted PvP option.

    That, and there's really not much to write about that we haven't done
    already.

    But we haven't even had the usual political slugfests lately, so perhaps
    the regulars have all been occupied by their exams. ^_^

    good sign." -G
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:19:01 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
    wrote:

    >Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
    >issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs

    What slowdown and instability? As for the nerfs, nevermind the fact
    that there were more than 4x as many buffs, eh?

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:25:44 -0000, Shenanigunner
    ><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
    >
    >> Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
    >> game?
    >
    >Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
    >issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs, all for the purpose of adding
    >a half-hearted PvP option.

    Ayep. About a month before issue4 I was ready to quit since the game
    just wasn't seeming as fun as it had been.
    Then I got on test and saw the new costumes and body sliders and that
    sparked a bit more interest.
    Wait wait, finally I4 hits and there's still bugs, and problems that
    didn't get touched while it was on test.

    While the new costume bits and body sliders were nice and finally let me
    make some of my characters look the way they were supposed to, it wasn't
    enough. It wasn't a replacement for real new content, and any new
    content got diverted to paste in that bloody stupid arena.

    Hitting the 30s with the new character and running into the same bugged
    missions i'd hit 6 months before was just too much - the same bugs, the
    same duplicated missions/arcs, untouched so useless pvp could get bolted
    onto CoH like a battleship turret on a 747.

    So I let the account lapse when the current card expired in early june,
    though by that time I hadn't played in a couple weeks already.

    I sometimes miss it a bit, and when issue 5 rolls around I may come
    back, assuming of course there's some actual REAL new content and not
    just another coat of paint over the rusty bits.

    Should they happen to add in the next "epic" AT and it's interesting
    then that will most likely draw me back - guaranteed if it's the winged
    AT (assuming they don't make it super gimp as is their wont.)

    >That, and there's really not much to write about that we haven't done
    >already.

    That is so very true. After a year+ you've seen and done everything
    (usually) so there's not much left to chat about except how the latest
    changes or nerfs are positively/negatively affecting you.

    Funnily enough, even though I don't currently have an active account, I
    got issue2 (july) of the new comic today.
    They must be trying to lure me back.

    Xocyll
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:55:17 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:19:01 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
    >>issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs
    >
    >What slowdown and instability? As for the nerfs, nevermind the fact
    >that there were more than 4x as many buffs, eh?

    Since Issue 4 was released, I had an issue with unpredictable crashing
    upon opening any window. I was advised to try using the newest graphics
    drivers and disabling shadows. This fixed the first problem, but brought
    a new one instead, occasional system freezes that I eventually traced to
    interaction between my sound driver and the new ATI graphics driver.
    Disabling all DirectX sound acceleration seems to have fixed this
    problem for now. But Issue 4 definitely introduced instability into a
    game that was running perfectly for me before.
    --
    Greg Johnson
    Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

    wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:19:01 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
    >> issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs
    >
    > What slowdown and instability? As for the nerfs, nevermind the fact
    > that there were more than 4x as many buffs, eh?

    Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.
    Ironically, if you buff some and nerf others, some of the nerfed people
    will cancel their account, but none of the buffed people will buy a second
    account...

    Yes, the game is slightly slower (or rather I had to turn down detail) on
    my GeForce 3. It runs fine on the newer GeForce (5500). Then again, I
    haven't quit. I hear quite a bit of whining from people with ATI cards
    (again), and some of the US servers seem to go down at strange times. Some
    of my LJ friends also said there was more rubberbanding just after I4
    release, although I have no logical explanation for that.

    I am not surprised if there is some slowdown since the character graphics
    are massively expanded. (Pretty much any new character will have is own
    unique face, for instance.) Actually I think it's pretty good that it is
    keeping up this well. But I can see how people on marginal systems may
    feel that it wasn't worth it.

    good sign." -G
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:25:44 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

    >Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
    >game?

    CoH has the most well behaved official forums I've ever seen in an MMOG, so
    a lot of people who typically avoid "Whineplay" and would come to usenet
    stay there instead.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
    | On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:55:17 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
    | wrote:
    |
    | > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:19:01 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
    | > wrote:
    | >
    | >> Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
    | >> issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs
    | >
    | > What slowdown and instability? As for the nerfs, nevermind the fact
    | > that there were more than 4x as many buffs, eh?
    |
    | Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.
    | Ironically, if you buff some and nerf others, some of the nerfed people
    | will cancel their account, but none of the buffed people will buy a second
    | account...
    |
    | Yes, the game is slightly slower (or rather I had to turn down detail) on
    | my GeForce 3. It runs fine on the newer GeForce (5500). Then again, I
    | haven't quit. I hear quite a bit of whining from people with ATI cards
    | (again), and some of the US servers seem to go down at strange times. Some
    | of my LJ friends also said there was more rubberbanding just after I4
    | release, although I have no logical explanation for that.
    |
    | I am not surprised if there is some slowdown since the character graphics
    | are massively expanded. (Pretty much any new character will have is own
    | unique face, for instance.) Actually I think it's pretty good that it is
    | keeping up this well. But I can see how people on marginal systems may
    | feel that it wasn't worth it.
    |
    | --
    | "When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not a
    | good sign." -G

    Ah, but the LOD Code (Level of Detail) does not actually draw up the
    unique faces or body slider details unless the player is close enough (set
    by the "Character Detail" slider) otherwise they see the generic body type
    "Female", "Male", "Huge" and the assigned color palette information.

    Once in range those details are drawn, but out of range there is no lag
    caused by these new details.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Magnus Itland wrote:
    > Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.

    Or ennui. Once you get tired of beating up bad guys, CoH
    has very little left to offer.

    --
    Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
    nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

    Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
    > Or ennui. Once you get tired of beating up bad guys, CoH
    > has very little left to offer.

    I suppose. But the same thing hasn't affected any pro sport, yet. But
    nothing new has happened on a football, baseball, basketball or hockey
    field in a very, very long time.

    As long as you keep tackling difficult bad guys, missions and situations,
    the puzzle-solving aspect never gets dull. This is why I pity the PLers and
    those who have never played except in tough teams. And those who bitch
    about why everything isn't just handed to them with no subsidiary efforts.

    Skill. Analysis. Management of resources. Fun. Oh, and pounding bad guys.
    Even more fun.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:46:23 -0500, Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu>
    wrote:
    > Magnus Itland wrote:
    >> Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.
    >
    > Or ennui. Once you get tired of beating up bad guys, CoH
    > has very little left to offer.

    Well, you can always set them on fire. I found this to be very
    satisfying. ^_^

    There are also those who particularly enjoy the aspect of helping others,
    while some just enjoy hanging out with people of the roughly same
    personality as themselves. I guess some of us just grew up wanting to
    live in a comic book. Occasionally I will log on just to fly among the
    skyscrapers before I go to bed. ^_^

    good sign." -G
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:46:23 -0500, Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu>
    > wrote:
    >> Magnus Itland wrote:
    >>> Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.
    >>
    >> Or ennui. Once you get tired of beating up bad guys, CoH
    >> has very little left to offer.
    >
    > Well, you can always set them on fire. I found this to be very
    > satisfying. ^_^
    >
    > There are also those who particularly enjoy the aspect of helping others,
    > while some just enjoy hanging out with people of the roughly same
    > personality as themselves. I guess some of us just grew up wanting to
    > live in a comic book. Occasionally I will log on just to fly among the
    > skyscrapers before I go to bed. ^_^

    I fit into that second group but just don't feel like spending 14.95 a month
    to just hang out. Therefore I am one of those people that just quit.
    Perhaps I will come back someday when more content is added but I'm not
    sure.

    > --
    > "When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not a
    > good sign." -G
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> once tried to test me
    with:

    > Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or
    > another game?

    You didn't get the memo?

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> once tried to test me
    > with:
    >
    >> Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or
    >> another game?
    >
    > You didn't get the memo?

    Is that a Batman: Begins quote? ;p Or just a coincidence?

    > --
    >
    > Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    >
    > Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:24:46 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> once tried to test me
    >> with:
    >>
    >>> Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or
    >>> another game?
    >>
    >> You didn't get the memo?
    >>

    >Is that a Batman: Begins quote? ;p Or just a coincidence?

    ....that line was around LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNGGG before Batman Begins.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    I'm just waiting for CoV to play again, left the game about 8 months
    ago when EQ2 started, then moved to WoW and now I would go back to CoH
    but everybody is probably in their 5th alt at max level by now.
    I like to play games when they're fresh (yes, even with the bugs and
    all). I hate it when everybody knows more about the game than I do and
    start spilling all the beans about quests and what not.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 2005-06-27, wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I'm just waiting for CoV to play again, left the game about 8 months
    > ago when EQ2 started, then moved to WoW and now I would go back to CoH
    > but everybody is probably in their 5th alt at max level by now.
    > I like to play games when they're fresh (yes, even with the bugs and
    > all). I hate it when everybody knows more about the game than I do and
    > start spilling all the beans about quests and what not.

    The game's been plenty busy every time I've played, and subscription
    seems to have stabilized after the Great Warcraft Exodus.

    You needn't fear that everyone's more experienced, though. While plenty
    of experienced people are still around, there are still many, many
    "noobs" at all levels. You'll occasionally run into people who spoil
    surprises, but what can you do?

    Of course, if what you really crave is that "new game smell"... mmm...
    CoV...

    --
    --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

    On 27 Jun 2005 13:32:00 -0700, wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I'm just waiting for CoV to play again, left the game about 8 months
    > ago when EQ2 started, then moved to WoW and now I would go back to CoH
    > but everybody is probably in their 5th alt at max level by now.
    > I like to play games when they're fresh (yes, even with the bugs and
    > all). I hate it when everybody knows more about the game than I do and
    > start spilling all the beans about quests and what not.

    Well, the free 14-day trial has drawn in some newbies, although I'm not
    sure how long they will last. This is not a bad time to get back, but CoV
    will definitely be a big shake-up even for us pure PvE heroes. What with
    user-defined HQs, new supergroup content and all.

    good sign." -G
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "sw" <sw@eyrie.org> wrote in message
    > On 2005-06-27, wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> I'm just waiting for CoV to play again, left the game about 8 months
    >> ago when EQ2 started, then moved to WoW and now I would go back to CoH
    >> but everybody is probably in their 5th alt at max level by now.
    >> I like to play games when they're fresh (yes, even with the bugs and
    >> all). I hate it when everybody knows more about the game than I do and
    >> start spilling all the beans about quests and what not.
    >
    > The game's been plenty busy every time I've played, and subscription
    > seems to have stabilized after the Great Warcraft Exodus.
    >
    > You needn't fear that everyone's more experienced, though. While plenty
    > of experienced people are still around, there are still many, many
    > "noobs" at all levels. You'll occasionally run into people who spoil
    > surprises, but what can you do?
    >
    > Of course, if what you really crave is that "new game smell"... mmm...
    > CoV...

    Guild wars looks promising, plus no monthly fee, I havn't tried it out yet
    myself.

    > --
    > --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    > "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of
    > scholars remain for an eternity." - Ulughbek

  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Actually, CoV is not PvP. I want to play CoV PvE, although wouldn't
    mind kicking some goodies' pink butts once in a while with all their
    weaknesses like 'honor' and 'compassion' BAH! I'd rather put them in
    a deathly trap, utter a maniacal laugh and leave the room to their
    'death' (which we all know they'll find a way to escape from, but
    that's another thing)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Actually, CoV is not PvP.

    Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
    some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Actually, CoV is not PvP.
    >
    >Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
    >some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

    I thought the point was inter-villain rivalries and fights against
    generic good citizens.

    Joker vs Penguin and such.

    Xocyll
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:52:42 -0000, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    > "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > > Actually, CoV is not PvP.

    > Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
    > some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

    Part of the point is.

    But you can also play versus computer-automated "heroes" just as
    against player-operated ones in certain zones.

    --
    Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
    Robotech_Master |
    | http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    which is perfectly fine, as I don't care about PvP
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Actually, CoV is not PvP.
    >
    > Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
    > some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

    There's going to be a lot more PvE content in CoV than PvP content, I
    believe.

    --
    John Parkinson
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:52:42 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    > "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Actually, CoV is not PvP.
    >
    > Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
    > some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

    No. PvP will be optional for both sides, last I heard. In order to engage
    in PvP as a villain, you will have to either enter certain contested
    zones, or build a lair with certain objects that invite raids. I believe
    you won't even have inter-villain ganking on the streets, much less random
    hero patrols.

    good sign." -G
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > which is perfectly fine, as I don't care about PvP

    Apparently, no one outside the Dev's lair does. I thought PvP was the main
    gist of CoV.

    So WTF is the Arena thing all about, then, Alfie?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 2005-07-01, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
    > "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> which is perfectly fine, as I don't care about PvP
    >
    > Apparently, no one outside the Dev's lair does. I thought PvP was the main
    > gist of CoV.
    >
    > So WTF is the Arena thing all about, then, Alfie?

    1) Test data on how powers fare in PvP
    2) Tournament events and badges and such... er... eventually
    3) Testing strategies for CoV PvP

    So... er... pretty much useless except in a "since we're adding PvP code
    anyway, hell, let's make arenas" sense.

    CoV adds PvP with a point ('Reputation' for various in-game perks,
    temporary powers that can be gained in the Versus Zones, boosts from
    'Items of Power')... but it's probably going to have just as much PvE
    content as CoH.

    PvP is most of what gets talked about, because... I mean... of course
    it's going to have PvE content. That's pretty much taken for granted.
    PvP gets talked up because that's the "woo, cool" aspect for people who
    aren't already playing the game.

    They did just release a video of one of the new PvE missions in CoV,
    though. It looked pretty impressive - cutscenes, physics effects, and
    lighting a catgirl on fire.

    --
    --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of
    scholars remain for an eternity." - Ulughbek
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:
    > PvP is most of what gets talked about, because... I mean... of course
    > it's going to have PvE content. That's pretty much taken for granted.
    > PvP gets talked up because that's the "woo, cool" aspect for people
    > who aren't already playing the game.

    All of which seems to be coming at the expense of those who ARE playing the
    game. There's metric buttloads of PvP games out there - let 'em play those.
    Expand in the new ground that CoH created, not back into the mainstream.
    Don't cripple a great alternative game, and another potentially great game
    out of the usual mold, by trying to make it City of Half-Life.

    Fork. I'm preaching to the choir here, and no one else is listening.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:31:00 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    > All of which seems to be coming at the expense of those who ARE
    > playing the game. There's metric buttloads of PvP games out there -
    > let 'em play those. Expand in the new ground that CoH created, not
    > back into the mainstream. Don't cripple a great alternative game,
    > and another potentially great game out of the usual mold, by trying
    > to make it City of Half-Life.

    The problem is, the City of Heroes developers aren't making the game
    out of the goodness of their hearts. They gotta eat, too. And to eat
    takes money. And to get money takes more players. And to get more
    players takes doing some things that some players may not like.

    Sad, but that's the way the world works.

    --
    Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
    Robotech_Master |
    robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free Mac Mini!
    | http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Robotech_Master wrote:
    > Shenanigunner wrote:
    >> All of which seems to be coming at the expense of those who ARE
    >> playing the game. There's metric buttloads of PvP games out there -
    >> let 'em play those. Expand in the new ground that CoH created, not
    >> back into the mainstream. Don't cripple a great alternative game,
    >> and another potentially great game out of the usual mold, by trying
    >> to make it City of Half-Life.

    > The problem is, the City of Heroes developers aren't making the game
    > out of the goodness of their hearts. They gotta eat, too. And to eat
    > takes money. And to get money takes more players. And to get more
    > players takes doing some things that some players may not like.

    CoH experienced a great roll-out and months of surging player
    enrollment without any PvP at all. The earliest people to
    enroll, and even the ones who are starting today, didn't/aren't
    doing it because CoH was some uber PvP game. They did it
    because it was a streamlined online PvE game without much
    loot or any crafting in a comic book literary genre.

    But heaven forbid they capitalize on their strengths, oh no.
    They began to tweak with the goal of adding a PvP "feature"
    to their elegant PvE framework. And they did things to the
    PvE game that pissed some people off. I left over the stupid
    boss difficulty fiasco in January, with the expectation that
    I'd stay away for a few weeks. Played some World of Warcraft
    in the meanwhile. And in the process I discovered that I
    really HATED experience debt in CoH (no XP debt in WoW). I
    also found that I hated having a 3 item mission roster without
    the ability to abandon ones I didn't want (20 item drop-able
    list in WoW).

    The combat in CoH is neat, and the character creation is
    superb, and then once you get into the game there are these
    fundamental design decisions that irked the hell out of me.
    WoW isn't the be-all and end-all of game designs, and it has
    its problems too, but it fits better what I want in a game.
    When I get killed by a monster when my network connection
    drops or because I have some stupid lunatic teammate, I don't
    "owe" anybody a stinking penalty for something that wasn't
    my fault.

    I reactivated my account a few days after Issue 4 went live -
    wanted to see what it was like. Then I got reminded of those
    things that poison the experience for me, and I've turned it
    back off again. I'm sure there's probably someone out there
    for whom PvP was the thing they really wanted to see added
    to CoH, but it wasn't me. And given that their user base
    was mainly pulled in with no PvP at all, I find it weird to
    claim that the addition of PvP at the expense of "balancing"
    (nerfing) a bunch of PvE powers is something that was done
    to increase the user base. The bottom line is that they're
    going to have to recruit at least one PvPer to replace every
    PvEer who gets bored with their confounded nerfs.

    > Sad, but that's the way the world works.

    If your existing user base is enthusiastically happy with
    the game, then their word of mouth will bring in more players,
    but piss them off at your peril because if you can't get the
    present players to speak up and say "Yeah, it's worth the
    time to play" then at that point you're in big big trouble.
    It took WAY too long to add a stinking difficulty slider,
    and there was no effort at all to improve the un-drop-able
    mission situation, and there was plenty of warning that
    changing bosses in I3 was going to effectively break the
    play balance in their post-25th level task forces.

    It would be really cool if I5 came out with something that
    might change my mind on any of the above because there are
    some things about CoH I still like. But I ain't holding
    my breath.

    --
    Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
    nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle
    "Some Assembly Required"
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    | On 2005-07-01, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
    | > "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    | >> which is perfectly fine, as I don't care about PvP
    | >
    | > Apparently, no one outside the Dev's lair does. I thought PvP was the
    main
    | > gist of CoV.
    | >
    | > So WTF is the Arena thing all about, then, Alfie?
    |
    | 1) Test data on how powers fare in PvP
    | 2) Tournament events and badges and such... er... eventually
    | 3) Testing strategies for CoV PvP
    |
    | So... er... pretty much useless except in a "since we're adding PvP code
    | anyway, hell, let's make arenas" sense.

    And hopefully the Arena areas will be updated with "Mario Party" (team
    against team in obstacle courses or a variety of skill challanges) code to
    make the fights more randomized and fit for group play as well. That way
    there'd be less direct bashing versus "interference play" game conflict in
    the Arena.

    | CoV adds PvP with a point ('Reputation' for various in-game perks,
    | temporary powers that can be gained in the Versus Zones, boosts from
    | 'Items of Power')... but it's probably going to have just as much PvE
    | content as CoH.
    |
    | PvP is most of what gets talked about, because... I mean... of course
    | it's going to have PvE content. That's pretty much taken for granted.
    | PvP gets talked up because that's the "woo, cool" aspect for people who
    | aren't already playing the game.
    |
    | They did just release a video of one of the new PvE missions in CoV,
    | though. It looked pretty impressive - cutscenes, physics effects, and
    | lighting a catgirl on fire.
    |
    | --
    | --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    | "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of
    | scholars remain for an eternity." - Ulughbek
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "George Johnson" <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote in message

    > And hopefully the Arena areas will be updated with "Mario Party" (team
    > against team in obstacle courses or a variety of skill challanges) code to
    > make the fights more randomized and fit for group play as well. That way
    > there'd be less direct bashing versus "interference play" game conflict in
    > the Arena.

    Point taken.

    I might be up for a game or two of capture the flag or somesuch.

    But PvP JUST for PvP's sake? Sorry.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 28 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 24 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
    > CoH experienced a great roll-out and months of surging player
    > enrollment without any PvP at all. The earliest people to
    > enroll, and even the ones who are starting today, didn't/aren't
    > doing it because CoH was some uber PvP game. They did it
    > because it was a streamlined online PvE game without much
    > loot or any crafting in a comic book literary genre.

    Okay, I asked this once but don't recall a clear answer. What in the FORK
    is crafting?

    Okay, I'm playing EverSoBoringQuest III. I find a nice spot in the woods,
    free from stobor. I sit down to craft. I...

    ???

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
    -= Justice Server =-
    -= Jazz-Man: Level 7 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
    > It would be really cool if I5 came out with something that
    > might change my mind on any of the above because there are
    > some things about CoH I still like. But I ain't holding
    > my breath.

    How about... Arachno arch-villains who come in and stomp the Arenas to
    rubble... and heroes *get to help*?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

    > How about... Arachno arch-villains who come in and stomp the Arenas to
    > rubble... and heroes *get to help*?

    I'll come out and watch.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "J Anlee" <JanLee@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    > Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in
    >
    >> How about... Arachno arch-villains who come in and stomp the Arenas to
    >> rubble... and heroes *get to help*?
    >>

    > I'll come out and watch.

    I'll bring popcorn.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 28 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 24 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 06:39:06 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >Okay, I asked this once but don't recall a clear answer. What in the FORK
    >is crafting?
    >
    >Okay, I'm playing EverSoBoringQuest III. I find a nice spot in the woods,
    >free from stobor. I sit down to craft. I...
    >
    >???

    Use a 'craft skill', such as cooking, smithing, leatherwork, alchemy,
    etc.(exact skills varying from rpg to rpg) to assemble parts collected
    from the wilderness into new items that I can hopefully either use or
    sell for more than the separate parts.
    --
    Greg Johnson
    Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Use a 'craft skill', such as cooking, smithing, leatherwork, alchemy,
    > etc.(exact skills varying from rpg to rpg) to assemble parts collected
    > from the wilderness into new items that I can hopefully either use or
    > sell for more than the separate parts.

    Ah. So if I collected pieces from the foes I "arrest" and spent time on the
    grass in High Park assembling them into new foes, I'd either be crafting or
    a Mortificator?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
    -= Justice Server =-
    -= Jazz-Man: Level 7 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <Xns968B6A7BB65Dnitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    > Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > Use a 'craft skill', such as cooking, smithing, leatherwork, alchemy,
    > > etc.(exact skills varying from rpg to rpg) to assemble parts collected
    > > from the wilderness into new items that I can hopefully either use or
    > > sell for more than the separate parts.
    >
    > Ah. So if I collected pieces from the foes I "arrest" and spent time on the
    > grass in High Park assembling them into new foes, I'd either be crafting or
    > a Mortificator?

    Combining enhancements is a type of crafting, albeit rather gimped.

    The main differences between CoH crafting and traditional crafting are
    (i) you can't sell/trade the output (though you can use it yourself)
    and (ii) everyone has exactly the same base crafting ability (speed,
    success rate, quality of output), based solely on the materials
    involved.

    Nathan

    --
    Nathan Sanders
    The Startling Xipa, Justice Server
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
    >> CoH experienced a great roll-out and months of surging player
    >> enrollment without any PvP at all. The earliest people to
    >> enroll, and even the ones who are starting today, didn't/aren't
    >> doing it because CoH was some uber PvP game. They did it
    >> because it was a streamlined online PvE game without much
    >> loot or any crafting in a comic book literary genre.
    >
    >Okay, I asked this once but don't recall a clear answer. What in the FORK
    >is crafting?
    >
    >Okay, I'm playing EverSoBoringQuest III. I find a nice spot in the woods,
    >free from stobor. I sit down to craft. I...

    Maybe it's because it's early, i'm still half-asleep and haven't had a
    coffee yet but.

    The combination of "crafting" plus EverQuest type name came out as...

    EverQuilt.

    Sometimes I scare myself.

    Xocyll
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    | Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    | entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
    | say:
    |
    | >Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
    | >> CoH experienced a great roll-out and months of surging player
    | >> enrollment without any PvP at all. The earliest people to
    | >> enroll, and even the ones who are starting today, didn't/aren't
    | >> doing it because CoH was some uber PvP game. They did it
    | >> because it was a streamlined online PvE game without much
    | >> loot or any crafting in a comic book literary genre.
    | >
    | >Okay, I asked this once but don't recall a clear answer. What in the FORK
    | >is crafting?
    | >
    | >Okay, I'm playing EverSoBoringQuest III. I find a nice spot in the woods,
    | >free from stobor. I sit down to craft. I...
    |
    | Maybe it's because it's early, i'm still half-asleep and haven't had a
    | coffee yet but.
    |
    | The combination of "crafting" plus EverQuest type name came out as...
    |
    | EverQuilt.
    |
    | Sometimes I scare myself.
    |
    | Xocyll
    | --

    Stand back or face the terror of my doilies of regret.

    Beware the forces of the tea cozy action force!

Games Video Games