Did everyone quit the game?

Last response: in Video Games
June 14, 2005 7:25:44 AM

Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
game?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

More about : quit game

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:25:45 AM

Shenanigunner wrote:
> Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
> game?

Maybe we're playing instead of writing about playing. :)
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:25:45 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:25:44 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
>game?

Group tends to go quiet from time to time. :p  I think part if it is
the forums are actually far more pleasant to post on than most MMOs'
forums, so they don't fall back to Usenet as much.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Related resources
June 14, 2005 5:10:40 PM

Not only are the forums better behaved but this group is too. Some of
those other ones...

Ick.
--
As I learn the innermost secrets of those around me, they reward me in
many ways to keep me quiet.

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:25:44 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
> game?

Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs, all for the purpose of adding
a half-hearted PvP option.

That, and there's really not much to write about that we haven't done
already.

But we haven't even had the usual political slugfests lately, so perhaps
the regulars have all been occupied by their exams. ^_^

good sign." -G
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:19:02 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:19:01 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
wrote:

>Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
>issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs

What slowdown and instability? As for the nerfs, nevermind the fact
that there were more than 4x as many buffs, eh?

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:08:43 PM

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of

>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:25:44 -0000, Shenanigunner
><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
>
>> Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
>> game?
>
>Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
>issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs, all for the purpose of adding
>a half-hearted PvP option.

Ayep. About a month before issue4 I was ready to quit since the game
just wasn't seeming as fun as it had been.
Then I got on test and saw the new costumes and body sliders and that
sparked a bit more interest.
Wait wait, finally I4 hits and there's still bugs, and problems that
didn't get touched while it was on test.

While the new costume bits and body sliders were nice and finally let me
make some of my characters look the way they were supposed to, it wasn't
enough. It wasn't a replacement for real new content, and any new
content got diverted to paste in that bloody stupid arena.

Hitting the 30s with the new character and running into the same bugged
missions i'd hit 6 months before was just too much - the same bugs, the
same duplicated missions/arcs, untouched so useless pvp could get bolted
onto CoH like a battleship turret on a 747.

So I let the account lapse when the current card expired in early june,
though by that time I hadn't played in a couple weeks already.

I sometimes miss it a bit, and when issue 5 rolls around I may come
back, assuming of course there's some actual REAL new content and not
just another coat of paint over the rusty bits.

Should they happen to add in the next "epic" AT and it's interesting
then that will most likely draw me back - guaranteed if it's the winged
AT (assuming they don't make it super gimp as is their wont.)

>That, and there's really not much to write about that we haven't done
>already.

That is so very true. After a year+ you've seen and done everything
(usually) so there's not much left to chat about except how the latest
changes or nerfs are positively/negatively affecting you.

Funnily enough, even though I don't currently have an active account, I
got issue2 (july) of the new comic today.
They must be trying to lure me back.

Xocyll
June 15, 2005 11:10:14 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:55:17 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:19:01 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
>wrote:
>
>>Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
>>issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs
>
>What slowdown and instability? As for the nerfs, nevermind the fact
>that there were more than 4x as many buffs, eh?

Since Issue 4 was released, I had an issue with unpredictable crashing
upon opening any window. I was advised to try using the newest graphics
drivers and disabling shadows. This fixed the first problem, but brought
a new one instead, occasional system freezes that I eventually traced to
interaction between my sound driver and the new ATI graphics driver.
Disabling all DirectX sound acceleration seems to have fixed this
problem for now. But Issue 4 definitely introduced instability into a
game that was running perfectly for me before.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:19:01 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
> wrote:
>
>> Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
>> issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs
>
> What slowdown and instability? As for the nerfs, nevermind the fact
> that there were more than 4x as many buffs, eh?

Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.
Ironically, if you buff some and nerf others, some of the nerfed people
will cancel their account, but none of the buffed people will buy a second
account...

Yes, the game is slightly slower (or rather I had to turn down detail) on
my GeForce 3. It runs fine on the newer GeForce (5500). Then again, I
haven't quit. I hear quite a bit of whining from people with ATI cards
(again), and some of the US servers seem to go down at strange times. Some
of my LJ friends also said there was more rubberbanding just after I4
release, although I have no logical explanation for that.

I am not surprised if there is some slowdown since the character graphics
are massively expanded. (Pretty much any new character will have is own
unique face, for instance.) Actually I think it's pretty good that it is
keeping up this well. But I can see how people on marginal systems may
feel that it wasn't worth it.

good sign." -G
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:54:38 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:25:44 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

>Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or another
>game?

CoH has the most well behaved official forums I've ever seen in an MMOG, so
a lot of people who typically avoid "Whineplay" and would come to usenet
stay there instead.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:29:33 AM

"Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
news:o pssfdhiibb52ai9@news.online.no...
| On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:55:17 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
| wrote:
|
| > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:19:01 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
| > wrote:
| >
| >> Not everyone. But some probably quit in frustration over yet another
| >> issue with slowdown, instability and nerfs
| >
| > What slowdown and instability? As for the nerfs, nevermind the fact
| > that there were more than 4x as many buffs, eh?
|
| Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.
| Ironically, if you buff some and nerf others, some of the nerfed people
| will cancel their account, but none of the buffed people will buy a second
| account...
|
| Yes, the game is slightly slower (or rather I had to turn down detail) on
| my GeForce 3. It runs fine on the newer GeForce (5500). Then again, I
| haven't quit. I hear quite a bit of whining from people with ATI cards
| (again), and some of the US servers seem to go down at strange times. Some
| of my LJ friends also said there was more rubberbanding just after I4
| release, although I have no logical explanation for that.
|
| I am not surprised if there is some slowdown since the character graphics
| are massively expanded. (Pretty much any new character will have is own
| unique face, for instance.) Actually I think it's pretty good that it is
| keeping up this well. But I can see how people on marginal systems may
| feel that it wasn't worth it.
|
| --
| "When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not a
| good sign." -G

Ah, but the LOD Code (Level of Detail) does not actually draw up the
unique faces or body slider details unless the player is close enough (set
by the "Character Detail" slider) otherwise they see the generic body type
"Female", "Male", "Huge" and the assigned color palette information.

Once in range those details are drawn, but out of range there is no lag
caused by these new details.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:46:23 PM

Magnus Itland wrote:
> Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.

Or ennui. Once you get tired of beating up bad guys, CoH
has very little left to offer.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
> Or ennui. Once you get tired of beating up bad guys, CoH
> has very little left to offer.

I suppose. But the same thing hasn't affected any pro sport, yet. But
nothing new has happened on a football, baseball, basketball or hockey
field in a very, very long time.

As long as you keep tackling difficult bad guys, missions and situations,
the puzzle-solving aspect never gets dull. This is why I pity the PLers and
those who have never played except in tough teams. And those who bitch
about why everything isn't just handed to them with no subsidiary efforts.

Skill. Analysis. Management of resources. Fun. Oh, and pounding bad guys.
Even more fun.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:06:49 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:46:23 -0500, Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu>
wrote:
> Magnus Itland wrote:
>> Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.
>
> Or ennui. Once you get tired of beating up bad guys, CoH
> has very little left to offer.

Well, you can always set them on fire. I found this to be very
satisfying. ^_^

There are also those who particularly enjoy the aspect of helping others,
while some just enjoy hanging out with people of the roughly same
personality as themselves. I guess some of us just grew up wanting to
live in a comic book. Occasionally I will log on just to fly among the
skyscrapers before I go to bed. ^_^

good sign." -G
June 19, 2005 3:06:50 PM

"Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
news:o pssl0xnpwb52ai9@news.online.no...
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:46:23 -0500, Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu>
> wrote:
>> Magnus Itland wrote:
>>> Nobody quits over buffs, only over nerfs, or so it seems to me.
>>
>> Or ennui. Once you get tired of beating up bad guys, CoH
>> has very little left to offer.
>
> Well, you can always set them on fire. I found this to be very
> satisfying. ^_^
>
> There are also those who particularly enjoy the aspect of helping others,
> while some just enjoy hanging out with people of the roughly same
> personality as themselves. I guess some of us just grew up wanting to
> live in a comic book. Occasionally I will log on just to fly among the
> skyscrapers before I go to bed. ^_^

I fit into that second group but just don't feel like spending 14.95 a month
to just hang out. Therefore I am one of those people that just quit.
Perhaps I will come back someday when more content is added but I'm not
sure.

> --
> "When someone starts bragging about how much debt they have, it's not a
> good sign." -G
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:36:01 AM

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> once tried to test me
with:

> Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or
> another game?

You didn't get the memo?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
June 23, 2005 12:24:46 PM

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> once tried to test me
> with:
>
>> Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or
>> another game?
>
> You didn't get the memo?

Is that a Batman: Begins quote? ;p Or just a coincidence?

> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:50:43 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:24:46 -0400, "Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> once tried to test me
>> with:
>>
>>> Man, it's quiet in here. Did everyone move on to beach parties or
>>> another game?
>>
>> You didn't get the memo?
>>

>Is that a Batman: Begins quote? ;p Or just a coincidence?

....that line was around LOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNGGG before Batman Begins.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 5:32:00 PM

I'm just waiting for CoV to play again, left the game about 8 months
ago when EQ2 started, then moved to WoW and now I would go back to CoH
but everybody is probably in their 5th alt at max level by now.
I like to play games when they're fresh (yes, even with the bugs and
all). I hate it when everybody knows more about the game than I do and
start spilling all the beans about quests and what not.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:05:29 PM

On 2005-06-27, wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm just waiting for CoV to play again, left the game about 8 months
> ago when EQ2 started, then moved to WoW and now I would go back to CoH
> but everybody is probably in their 5th alt at max level by now.
> I like to play games when they're fresh (yes, even with the bugs and
> all). I hate it when everybody knows more about the game than I do and
> start spilling all the beans about quests and what not.

The game's been plenty busy every time I've played, and subscription
seems to have stabilized after the Great Warcraft Exodus.

You needn't fear that everyone's more experienced, though. While plenty
of experienced people are still around, there are still many, many
"noobs" at all levels. You'll occasionally run into people who spoil
surprises, but what can you do?

Of course, if what you really crave is that "new game smell"... mmm...
CoV...

--
--- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
"Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

On 27 Jun 2005 13:32:00 -0700, wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm just waiting for CoV to play again, left the game about 8 months
> ago when EQ2 started, then moved to WoW and now I would go back to CoH
> but everybody is probably in their 5th alt at max level by now.
> I like to play games when they're fresh (yes, even with the bugs and
> all). I hate it when everybody knows more about the game than I do and
> start spilling all the beans about quests and what not.

Well, the free 14-day trial has drawn in some newbies, although I'm not
sure how long they will last. This is not a bad time to get back, but CoV
will definitely be a big shake-up even for us pure PvE heroes. What with
user-defined HQs, new supergroup content and all.

good sign." -G
June 29, 2005 1:38:41 PM

"sw" <sw@eyrie.org> wrote in message
> On 2005-06-27, wolfing <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm just waiting for CoV to play again, left the game about 8 months
>> ago when EQ2 started, then moved to WoW and now I would go back to CoH
>> but everybody is probably in their 5th alt at max level by now.
>> I like to play games when they're fresh (yes, even with the bugs and
>> all). I hate it when everybody knows more about the game than I do and
>> start spilling all the beans about quests and what not.
>
> The game's been plenty busy every time I've played, and subscription
> seems to have stabilized after the Great Warcraft Exodus.
>
> You needn't fear that everyone's more experienced, though. While plenty
> of experienced people are still around, there are still many, many
> "noobs" at all levels. You'll occasionally run into people who spoil
> surprises, but what can you do?
>
> Of course, if what you really crave is that "new game smell"... mmm...
> CoV...

Guild wars looks promising, plus no monthly fee, I havn't tried it out yet
myself.

> --
> --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
> "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of
> scholars remain for an eternity." - Ulughbek

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 4:33:52 PM

Actually, CoV is not PvP. I want to play CoV PvE, although wouldn't
mind kicking some goodies' pink butts once in a while with all their
weaknesses like 'honor' and 'compassion' BAH! I'd rather put them in
a deathly trap, utter a maniacal laugh and leave the room to their
'death' (which we all know they'll find a way to escape from, but
that's another thing)
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 2:52:42 AM

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, CoV is not PvP.

Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 2:52:43 AM

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Actually, CoV is not PvP.
>
>Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
>some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

I thought the point was inter-villain rivalries and fights against
generic good citizens.

Joker vs Penguin and such.

Xocyll
July 1, 2005 6:29:14 AM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:52:42 -0000, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Actually, CoV is not PvP.

> Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
> some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

Part of the point is.

But you can also play versus computer-automated "heroes" just as
against player-operated ones in certain zones.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 10:00:06 AM

which is perfectly fine, as I don't care about PvP
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:43:12 AM

Shenanigunner wrote:
> "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Actually, CoV is not PvP.
>
> Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
> some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

There's going to be a lot more PvE content in CoV than PvP content, I
believe.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:52:42 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Actually, CoV is not PvP.
>
> Uh... isn't the point that you play a villain who defends against heroes,
> some of whom can be real players ported over from CoH?

No. PvP will be optional for both sides, last I heard. In order to engage
in PvP as a villain, you will have to either enter certain contested
zones, or build a lair with certain objects that invite raids. I believe
you won't even have inter-villain ganking on the streets, much less random
hero patrols.

good sign." -G
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 7:52:02 PM

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> which is perfectly fine, as I don't care about PvP

Apparently, no one outside the Dev's lair does. I thought PvP was the main
gist of CoV.

So WTF is the Arena thing all about, then, Alfie?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:17:11 PM

On 2005-07-01, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
> "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> which is perfectly fine, as I don't care about PvP
>
> Apparently, no one outside the Dev's lair does. I thought PvP was the main
> gist of CoV.
>
> So WTF is the Arena thing all about, then, Alfie?

1) Test data on how powers fare in PvP
2) Tournament events and badges and such... er... eventually
3) Testing strategies for CoV PvP

So... er... pretty much useless except in a "since we're adding PvP code
anyway, hell, let's make arenas" sense.

CoV adds PvP with a point ('Reputation' for various in-game perks,
temporary powers that can be gained in the Versus Zones, boosts from
'Items of Power')... but it's probably going to have just as much PvE
content as CoH.

PvP is most of what gets talked about, because... I mean... of course
it's going to have PvE content. That's pretty much taken for granted.
PvP gets talked up because that's the "woo, cool" aspect for people who
aren't already playing the game.

They did just release a video of one of the new PvE missions in CoV,
though. It looked pretty impressive - cutscenes, physics effects, and
lighting a catgirl on fire.

--
--- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
"Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of
scholars remain for an eternity." - Ulughbek
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:31:00 PM

sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:
> PvP is most of what gets talked about, because... I mean... of course
> it's going to have PvE content. That's pretty much taken for granted.
> PvP gets talked up because that's the "woo, cool" aspect for people
> who aren't already playing the game.

All of which seems to be coming at the expense of those who ARE playing the
game. There's metric buttloads of PvP games out there - let 'em play those.
Expand in the new ground that CoH created, not back into the mainstream.
Don't cripple a great alternative game, and another potentially great game
out of the usual mold, by trying to make it City of Half-Life.

Fork. I'm preaching to the choir here, and no one else is listening.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:56:54 PM

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:31:00 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> All of which seems to be coming at the expense of those who ARE
> playing the game. There's metric buttloads of PvP games out there -
> let 'em play those. Expand in the new ground that CoH created, not
> back into the mainstream. Don't cripple a great alternative game,
> and another potentially great game out of the usual mold, by trying
> to make it City of Half-Life.

The problem is, the City of Heroes developers aren't making the game
out of the goodness of their hearts. They gotta eat, too. And to eat
takes money. And to get money takes more players. And to get more
players takes doing some things that some players may not like.

Sad, but that's the way the world works.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free Mac Mini!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:56:55 PM

Robotech_Master wrote:
> Shenanigunner wrote:
>> All of which seems to be coming at the expense of those who ARE
>> playing the game. There's metric buttloads of PvP games out there -
>> let 'em play those. Expand in the new ground that CoH created, not
>> back into the mainstream. Don't cripple a great alternative game,
>> and another potentially great game out of the usual mold, by trying
>> to make it City of Half-Life.

> The problem is, the City of Heroes developers aren't making the game
> out of the goodness of their hearts. They gotta eat, too. And to eat
> takes money. And to get money takes more players. And to get more
> players takes doing some things that some players may not like.

CoH experienced a great roll-out and months of surging player
enrollment without any PvP at all. The earliest people to
enroll, and even the ones who are starting today, didn't/aren't
doing it because CoH was some uber PvP game. They did it
because it was a streamlined online PvE game without much
loot or any crafting in a comic book literary genre.

But heaven forbid they capitalize on their strengths, oh no.
They began to tweak with the goal of adding a PvP "feature"
to their elegant PvE framework. And they did things to the
PvE game that pissed some people off. I left over the stupid
boss difficulty fiasco in January, with the expectation that
I'd stay away for a few weeks. Played some World of Warcraft
in the meanwhile. And in the process I discovered that I
really HATED experience debt in CoH (no XP debt in WoW). I
also found that I hated having a 3 item mission roster without
the ability to abandon ones I didn't want (20 item drop-able
list in WoW).

The combat in CoH is neat, and the character creation is
superb, and then once you get into the game there are these
fundamental design decisions that irked the hell out of me.
WoW isn't the be-all and end-all of game designs, and it has
its problems too, but it fits better what I want in a game.
When I get killed by a monster when my network connection
drops or because I have some stupid lunatic teammate, I don't
"owe" anybody a stinking penalty for something that wasn't
my fault.

I reactivated my account a few days after Issue 4 went live -
wanted to see what it was like. Then I got reminded of those
things that poison the experience for me, and I've turned it
back off again. I'm sure there's probably someone out there
for whom PvP was the thing they really wanted to see added
to CoH, but it wasn't me. And given that their user base
was mainly pulled in with no PvP at all, I find it weird to
claim that the addition of PvP at the expense of "balancing"
(nerfing) a bunch of PvE powers is something that was done
to increase the user base. The bottom line is that they're
going to have to recruit at least one PvPer to replace every
PvEer who gets bored with their confounded nerfs.

> Sad, but that's the way the world works.

If your existing user base is enthusiastically happy with
the game, then their word of mouth will bring in more players,
but piss them off at your peril because if you can't get the
present players to speak up and say "Yeah, it's worth the
time to play" then at that point you're in big big trouble.
It took WAY too long to add a stinking difficulty slider,
and there was no effort at all to improve the un-drop-able
mission situation, and there was plenty of warning that
changing bosses in I3 was going to effectively break the
play balance in their post-25th level task forces.

It would be really cool if I5 came out with something that
might change my mind on any of the above because there are
some things about CoH I still like. But I ain't holding
my breath.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle
"Some Assembly Required"
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 1:43:22 PM

| On 2005-07-01, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
| > "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
| >> which is perfectly fine, as I don't care about PvP
| >
| > Apparently, no one outside the Dev's lair does. I thought PvP was the
main
| > gist of CoV.
| >
| > So WTF is the Arena thing all about, then, Alfie?
|
| 1) Test data on how powers fare in PvP
| 2) Tournament events and badges and such... er... eventually
| 3) Testing strategies for CoV PvP
|
| So... er... pretty much useless except in a "since we're adding PvP code
| anyway, hell, let's make arenas" sense.

And hopefully the Arena areas will be updated with "Mario Party" (team
against team in obstacle courses or a variety of skill challanges) code to
make the fights more randomized and fit for group play as well. That way
there'd be less direct bashing versus "interference play" game conflict in
the Arena.

| CoV adds PvP with a point ('Reputation' for various in-game perks,
| temporary powers that can be gained in the Versus Zones, boosts from
| 'Items of Power')... but it's probably going to have just as much PvE
| content as CoH.
|
| PvP is most of what gets talked about, because... I mean... of course
| it's going to have PvE content. That's pretty much taken for granted.
| PvP gets talked up because that's the "woo, cool" aspect for people who
| aren't already playing the game.
|
| They did just release a video of one of the new PvE missions in CoV,
| though. It looked pretty impressive - cutscenes, physics effects, and
| lighting a catgirl on fire.
|
| --
| --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
| "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of
| scholars remain for an eternity." - Ulughbek
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:06:01 PM

"George Johnson" <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote in message

> And hopefully the Arena areas will be updated with "Mario Party" (team
> against team in obstacle courses or a variety of skill challanges) code to
> make the fights more randomized and fit for group play as well. That way
> there'd be less direct bashing versus "interference play" game conflict in
> the Arena.

Point taken.

I might be up for a game or two of capture the flag or somesuch.

But PvP JUST for PvP's sake? Sorry.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 28 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 24 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:39:06 AM

Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
> CoH experienced a great roll-out and months of surging player
> enrollment without any PvP at all. The earliest people to
> enroll, and even the ones who are starting today, didn't/aren't
> doing it because CoH was some uber PvP game. They did it
> because it was a streamlined online PvE game without much
> loot or any crafting in a comic book literary genre.

Okay, I asked this once but don't recall a clear answer. What in the FORK
is crafting?

Okay, I'm playing EverSoBoringQuest III. I find a nice spot in the woods,
free from stobor. I sit down to craft. I...

???

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 7 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:41:01 AM

Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
> It would be really cool if I5 came out with something that
> might change my mind on any of the above because there are
> some things about CoH I still like. But I ain't holding
> my breath.

How about... Arachno arch-villains who come in and stomp the Arenas to
rubble... and heroes *get to help*?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:31:18 PM

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

> How about... Arachno arch-villains who come in and stomp the Arenas to
> rubble... and heroes *get to help*?

I'll come out and watch.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:43:42 PM

"J Anlee" <JanLee@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in
>
>> How about... Arachno arch-villains who come in and stomp the Arenas to
>> rubble... and heroes *get to help*?
>>

> I'll come out and watch.

I'll bring popcorn.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 28 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 24 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:26:44 PM

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 06:39:06 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Okay, I asked this once but don't recall a clear answer. What in the FORK
>is crafting?
>
>Okay, I'm playing EverSoBoringQuest III. I find a nice spot in the woods,
>free from stobor. I sit down to craft. I...
>
>???

Use a 'craft skill', such as cooking, smithing, leatherwork, alchemy,
etc.(exact skills varying from rpg to rpg) to assemble parts collected
from the wilderness into new items that I can hopefully either use or
sell for more than the separate parts.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:26:45 PM

Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Use a 'craft skill', such as cooking, smithing, leatherwork, alchemy,
> etc.(exact skills varying from rpg to rpg) to assemble parts collected
> from the wilderness into new items that I can hopefully either use or
> sell for more than the separate parts.

Ah. So if I collected pieces from the foes I "arrest" and spent time on the
grass in High Park assembling them into new foes, I'd either be crafting or
a Mortificator?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 30 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 7 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:26:46 PM

In article <Xns968B6A7BB65Dnitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Use a 'craft skill', such as cooking, smithing, leatherwork, alchemy,
> > etc.(exact skills varying from rpg to rpg) to assemble parts collected
> > from the wilderness into new items that I can hopefully either use or
> > sell for more than the separate parts.
>
> Ah. So if I collected pieces from the foes I "arrest" and spent time on the
> grass in High Park assembling them into new foes, I'd either be crafting or
> a Mortificator?

Combining enhancements is a type of crafting, albeit rather gimped.

The main differences between CoH crafting and traditional crafting are
(i) you can't sell/trade the output (though you can use it yourself)
and (ii) everyone has exactly the same base crafting ability (speed,
success rate, quality of output), based solely on the materials
involved.

Nathan

--
Nathan Sanders
The Startling Xipa, Justice Server

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
>> CoH experienced a great roll-out and months of surging player
>> enrollment without any PvP at all. The earliest people to
>> enroll, and even the ones who are starting today, didn't/aren't
>> doing it because CoH was some uber PvP game. They did it
>> because it was a streamlined online PvE game without much
>> loot or any crafting in a comic book literary genre.
>
>Okay, I asked this once but don't recall a clear answer. What in the FORK
>is crafting?
>
>Okay, I'm playing EverSoBoringQuest III. I find a nice spot in the woods,
>free from stobor. I sit down to craft. I...

Maybe it's because it's early, i'm still half-asleep and haven't had a
coffee yet but.

The combination of "crafting" plus EverQuest type name came out as...

EverQuilt.

Sometimes I scare myself.

Xocyll
July 6, 2005 11:14:43 PM

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
| Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
| entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
| say:
|
| >Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:
| >> CoH experienced a great roll-out and months of surging player
| >> enrollment without any PvP at all. The earliest people to
| >> enroll, and even the ones who are starting today, didn't/aren't
| >> doing it because CoH was some uber PvP game. They did it
| >> because it was a streamlined online PvE game without much
| >> loot or any crafting in a comic book literary genre.
| >
| >Okay, I asked this once but don't recall a clear answer. What in the FORK
| >is crafting?
| >
| >Okay, I'm playing EverSoBoringQuest III. I find a nice spot in the woods,
| >free from stobor. I sit down to craft. I...
|
| Maybe it's because it's early, i'm still half-asleep and haven't had a
| coffee yet but.
|
| The combination of "crafting" plus EverQuest type name came out as...
|
| EverQuilt.
|
| Sometimes I scare myself.
|
| Xocyll
| --

Stand back or face the terror of my doilies of regret.

Beware the forces of the tea cozy action force!
!