Might have killed a 5500

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Update: Fixed. Feel free to expound your thoughts anyway. :p

I was fooling around with my old computer, an old Dell I had bought years ago before building my current one, and I decided to OC the video card. My 8800 OC'd nicely for the benchmarks (and is now happily running at stock :p), so I figured I'd try to get a little more juice out of the old compy. It ran perfectly stable at 300/450 (stock is 270/400), which is well under any heavy OC. The HS was a bit hot, but not so much that it burns your finger. I was OCing using AtiTool by the way.

Anyway I shut it down, let it sit for a day, and then booted it and promptly noticed that once Windows loads, both the mouse and keyboard die instantly. The keyboard works fine when looking through the mobo BIOS, etc., but once Windows is up it's dead. Although the computer has been known for being finicky with one particular mouse, having both input methods dead seemed awfully similar to when I had told AtiTool check for my maximum core speed on my 8800GTS 640 and it promptly shot the core up to 721MHz and the system crashed.

When the card is out and the system runs off the integrated graphics, everything runs perfectly. When the card is in, the system is effectively unresponsive. Unfortunately with AtiTool I can only change the settings when the card is in the machine. I've tried uninstalling it and revoking all the settings, but the card still runs plenty hot and the system is still down. Does AtiTool flash the settings to the BIOS or something? If so, could I possibly plug it into a PCI slot in my new machine (significantly better cooling) and use something to clock it back down (assuming that the 8800 overrides the 5500 in display priority).

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Old Dell Specs:
Northwood Celeron @ 2.40GHz
512MB RAM 333MHz
3DFuzion Geforce FX5500 256MB (PCI)

Cooling:
120MM fan with a tunnel going directly to the CPU HS.
40MM fan and a heatsink hardly worth the name on the card.

Edit:
I switched the card into PCI slot 2 and now the system runs responsively. On the first boot the card reported some pretty bizarre numbers. We're talking like a 32 character string for its core speed, which although certainly a notable OC, probably isn't perfectly accurate.

On the second boot everything reset itself to stock like it should. I've since moved the card back to slot 1 where it should be and everything is running happily. :)

cybergunkoo81

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
is there any FX5500 with pci slot?I never knew it. Try going into windows safe mode and uninstall every graphic driver and then restart. If it doesnt work try format your hard drive and install a fresh copy of the windows :D