Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on new 8800GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2008 3:41:15 PM

Hey guys. I got a BFG 8800GT OC2 GPU for Christmas, but It was flawed so I had to RMA. I will be getting my money back today, so I am wondering what I should do for round 2. I have 3 Ideas floating around in my head, and I need you guys to help me decide. So this is what I have in mind:

Option 1: Just get the same old GPU and hope this one works.
Option 2: Get the same GPU, and also get an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 to hopefully keep it cool, and not void the warranty.
Option 3: Get one of those new ASUS EN8800GT's with the new cooling.

If you guys know of any other ideas please let me know, thanks.
APIOQM is offline Report Post Edit/Delete Message

More about : opinions 8800gt

January 4, 2008 3:58:00 PM

APIOQM said:
Hey guys. I got a BFG 8800GT OC2 GPU for Christmas, but It was flawed so I had to RMA. I will be getting my money back today, so I am wondering what I should do for round 2. I have 3 Ideas floating around in my head, and I need you guys to help me decide. So this is what I have in mind:

Option 1: Just get the same old GPU and hope this one works.
Option 2: Get the same GPU, and also get an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 to hopefully keep it cool, and not void the warranty.
Option 3: Get one of those new ASUS EN8800GT's with the new cooling.

If you guys know of any other ideas please let me know, thanks.
APIOQM is offline Report Post Edit/Delete Message

If i have heard correctly, there will be a driver fix that will fix the fan speed issue, keeping the GPU temps in line.

But I would go for the ASUS version if you are concerned about both the temps, and warranty.
January 4, 2008 4:04:05 PM

I would say option 2 because it's the most fun and safe. Not only that but its exactly what I did!

I would say the asus chip but I noticed it does not have any cooling for the memory even though it comes with a nice gpu cooler. that could put a damper on OC potential. With the S1(or S2, I personally picked the S2) it comes with some RAM sinks. I would also recommend the turbo module fans because 1) It's $8 + ship 2) It literally still sounds like its being passivly cooled 3) Makes a massive difference on load temps w/turbo modules 4) It's nerve smashing and fun at the same time!

Not only that, once you rip off the stock HSF you will have a VERY good laugh at their vein attempt to cool it, and a nice pretty decoration. My personal setup I have my BFG 88GT OC, OC @ 700/1000 And I've used rivatuner to record temps during heavy max detailed gaming and it barly touchs 50C if ever. Compared to the high 80's it used to hit w/stock. I'm sure it would easily hit 90's with the ati tool artifact scan w/stock. Also I idle at about 40C w/stock hsf 60C ambient being 20C. So as you can see option 2 seems the best imo.
Related resources
January 4, 2008 4:59:37 PM

I agree with bildo. I have the Accelero S1 with turbo modules on my BFG 8800GT OC and now see idle temps of 34C and load temps of 45C. I cannot hear it at all with my ear next to the case. It also allowed an overclock of 740 on the core, which I couldn't touch with the stock cooler.
January 4, 2008 5:05:25 PM

APIOQM said:
The ASUS Module has RAM sinks: http://img.directcanada.com/images/ASUS/EN8800GT_HTDP_2...
You must be mistaken with this one :p  http://img.directcanada.com/images/Galaxy_Techology/88Y...

I'm sorry my friend but that heatsink is cooling the Voltage regulators located on the far right of the card. If you take a closer look at the fan, and look towards the bottom right where the fins are, you'll see about 3/4 of the actual RAM module, the small square one. There are 8 of this modules that surround the core in a rainbow fashion. From the picture you can see they dont have the RAMsinks, even on that nice version. I'm assuming their reasoning is because the fan is blowing directly down on the ram modules. The asus 8800GT's layout is a little different from the normal 8800GT's. Personally I dont have anything on the VR's but the airflow generated from my turbo modules is enough to cool them, and more importantly It also sucks hot air of the RAMsinks. Not only that on the Arctic Cooling website, they specifically mentioned that you don't need any additional cooling for the VR's. But the memory modules....eehh I wouldnt skip them, and neither did they, so they threw us 8 RAMsinks :) . Not only that the S2 is only $25 + shipping WITH the turbo module fans. And it literally performs just as well as the $60+ solutions.

January 4, 2008 5:08:44 PM

Oh, well I learned something today then. But back to the cards, will putting this Accelero S1 on void the warranty?
January 4, 2008 5:14:02 PM

Short answer, YES, but as long as you keep the original heat-sink. you just put it back on before any warranty service :) 
January 4, 2008 5:47:22 PM

Do you guys think the new 8800GTS is worth it? How does its cooling compare to that of the 8800GT?
January 4, 2008 5:59:56 PM

Quote:
Yes it will. The only reason to run a after market heatsink/fan would be to overclock right? Well overclocking voids your warranty! Try explaining to nvidia's rma dept that the reason you took off the aftermarket fan was so you could run a new aftermarket heatsink and run the chip at stock speeds. Yeah ok. Physical altercation voids warranty.

First off, it's not NVidia that you have to explain things to. It's the manufacturer (EVGA, BFG, etc).

Second, there are other reasons to put on an aftermarket cooler. I put one on my X1800 because the stock one was just too darn noisy. I've never overclocked the card, but it's much quieter, so I'm happy, and it was money well spent.

Clint
January 4, 2008 6:03:10 PM

Quote:
Yes it will. The only reason to run a after market heatsink/fan would be to overclock right? Well overclocking voids your warranty! Try explaining to nvidia's rma dept that the reason you took off the aftermarket fan was so you could run a new aftermarket heatsink and run the chip at stock speeds. Yeah ok. Physical altercation voids warranty.

Nvidia rma dept? as far as I know the card manufacturer provides the warranty
I have a eVGA 8800GT SC
eVGA RMA
using an aftermarket cooler does not void your warranty if:
-stock cooler is re-installed prior to RMAing the card
-no physical damage done to the card
-overclocking does not void your warranty
-does not cover voltage modifications, etc.
January 4, 2008 6:35:27 PM

So, what do you guys think of the new 8800GTS, is worth it? How does its cooling compare to that of the 8800GT?
January 4, 2008 6:51:08 PM

APIOQM said:
So, what do you guys think of the new 8800GTS, is worth it? How does its cooling compare to that of the 8800GT?

The GTS does have superior cooling with the dual slot cooler. Not worth it in my eyes. 10% performance increase over the GT and a nicer cooler for 40% more money.
January 4, 2008 7:05:19 PM

if you are worried about cooling and dont want to modify your card the gts is great i have an 18% oc on the core and a 13% oc on the memory and the temps are 54 c idle 66 c load and it is quiet and when you are gaming it gets a little bit louder but the game drowns out the card.
January 4, 2008 7:08:15 PM

This one comes overclocked to 700 core with a Zalman fan for $269 ...
January 4, 2008 7:18:38 PM

nhobo said:
This one comes overclocked to 700 core with a Zalman fan for $269 ...
I am in Canada :( 
January 4, 2008 8:51:15 PM

So I think I will get the BFG 8800GT OC with the
Arctic Cooling Accelero S1. Does this sound good?
January 6, 2008 1:00:41 AM

Of course I will recommend it as it is exactly the graphics setup I am running... and enjoying.
January 6, 2008 1:41:08 AM

The 8800GTS reaches speeds the 8800GT can't. That is if we're talking about stock cooling. I've seen the 8800GTS reach 820/1050 on stock cooling.
January 7, 2008 2:04:32 PM

After I considered the overclocking abilities of each card, I came to the conclusion that the 50-100 dollar price difference was not justified by the 10% performance advantage after overclocking. The $25 Accelero S1 was not a large investment to achieve GPU temps lower than those of CPUs on my machine. When seriously overclocking, I generally replace stock cooling anyway to achieve the lowest temps I can for the $, hoping to make the card last as long as possible. The GTS is a very viable option for those who want those extra 16 stream processors and a better stock cooling solution (and don't mind spending the extra 50-100 bucks).
!