Will PSU Handle 8800GTS 512MB

madmansingh

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I just needed a bit of help before i buy a 8800GTS (G92), was just concerned about my PSU. ive read on different websites that the requirement for the G92 GTS is 26A on the +12V Rail (correct me if im wrong), and a minimum of 400W.
The PSU i currently have is a tagan 580W, it is sli certified and has two +12V rails both with 20A each, but has a switch on the back that can combine both rails to produce a single rail of i think 35A or 36A. im currently running dual 256MB 7800GTX's, and im only going to be upgrading to a single 8800GTS as i dont want to sli again (too much hassle). am i right in thinking that in order to get a GTS working all i have to do is combine the +12V rails and connect only one to the graphics card and just tie the other one up out of the way. its just the first time im going to upgrade on this machine and i dont want to uderpower the card or stress the PSU.

35 amps combined or on a single rail is more than enough, your two 7800's use quite a bit more power than a single G92 will.
That's a modular psu, isn't it ? If so, just remove one of the PCIE cables instead of tying it back.

madmansingh

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
thanks for your reply, i had a feeling is would be enough, and no its not a modular but ican just tidy it up by tying it back. thanks again for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS