Does a Wireless N Adapter's extended range apply to G networks?

Diabolik939

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Quick question for you wireless gurus -

My cousin is sharing a connection with her neighbor across the hall (through 4 old, thick walls). She connects to her neighbor's wireless G router with her integrated b/g adapter in her laptop. Due to the density of the walls and the distance to the router, she's having signal strength issues. I'm a bit of a newcomer to 802.11n, and I was wondering:

Would a wireless N usb adapter for her laptop help? or would the extended range only be applicable to an N signal? I'm aware that they're backwards compatible, but I have no idea if that means it still gets better reception for a G signal.

Thanks.

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
To utilize the gain in "N" signal strength, both the router and computer network adapter need to be "N" device.
So adding an "N" USB adapter would allow you to use the "N" signal.

We installed a Linksys WRT300N router in a business.
Our laptops were "B&G" and were constantly having connection issues.
I reconfigured the router to to turn off the "N" features and use "B&G" only.

Wireless signal was awesome after that change :)

Maybe it was the goofy antenna on the WRT300N.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
that didnt answer their question... you answered about conecting a G to an N network... they are wanting to connect an N to a G network which is more than fine and shouldnt have any problems...

really should work either way because they are backwards compatible.... BUT you will only get the specs of the slowest one so you wont see any increase in speed... but N adapter has more antennas so i dont know if you would get better reception of the G network, but you wont get a further range in a G network using an N adapter