Overclocking 1:1

baraccath

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Hi,

1. I'm just worried if it was possible to down clock a ddr3 1800mhz to 1333mhz, without effecting the cpu speed, if its possible which settings do normally change this option?

What I have in mind is very simple I'm installing an Extreme Edition cpu with a 1333mhz fsb, once i mange to down clock the ram i'll try to increase the fsb to 450mhz hopefully.

Want I want to know is when i install the ram 1800mhz for the fist time Will the motherboard sync 1:1 the fsb with the cpu therefore down clock the ram to 1333mhz like the cpu ? So when I decide to modify the fsb will the mobo always sync the given fsb settings with the ram and cpu proportionally ?

2. I was also thinking of pushing the cpu a little bit further if possible obviously with more cooling but leaving my ram at its original speed (1800mhz) would it be possible to increase the fsb without effecting the ram (though I'm still thinking of this due to syncing problems)?

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
first off i would like to let you know running the ram at 1:1 ratio to FSB will give you the best performance. and when you have selected a 1:1 multiplier it will stays there no matter what you change in any other setting regard FSB, voltage or timing.

some motherboad will sync the ram to its maximum speed written in the SPD or the lowest or it could run in sync with the FSB. just put it in, it would cause any sort of damage to anything.

how can you will be able to push your CPU in term of FSB will be greatly depend on what motherboard and heatsink you are using.

its always better to start a thread like this by listing your full system spec so people in here will be able to give you more specific answer to your question.

baraccath

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Zalman CNPS9700 : Cooler
Qx6850 : Cpu
SuperTalent 1800mhz 2GB : Ram
Asus P5E3 Premium : Mother board

My Goal is to over clock at least from 333mhz to 450mhz having both cpu and ram in sync and hopefully running both at an 1800mhz fsb.

Do you think that this mobo would be able to keep my cpu and ram in sync automatically in order to achieve the most stable fsb?

baraccath

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
selected a 1:1 multiplier it will stays there no matter what you change in any other setting regard FSB, voltage or timing.

some motherboad will sync the ram to its maximum speed written in the SPD or the lowest or it could run in sync with the FSB. just put it in, it would cause any sort of damage to anything.

1. Sorry, can you explain this better, afaik the multiplier can be changed in exteme edition cpu's no?

2. Well thats why I want to sync the cpu and ram to simply increase the fsb of which will only overclock the cpu only and reach the 1800mhz maximum speed together with the ram, in this way it shouldn't cause any damage to ram as long as the cpu allows it.

Mondoman

Splendid
il - different bioses are set up differently. In some you don't even explicitly set a ratio, you just set the FSB speed and memory bus speed separately.

ba - since your RAM is presumably running in dual-channel mode, to get a 1:1 FSB:memory bus throughput ratio, just divide the FSB throughput by 2 to get the proper memory bus speed. For example, with a 1333MHz FSB, set the memory bus to DDRx-667. For an 1800MHz FSB, set the memory bus to DDRx-900. Sadly, we'll have to wait for a 3600MHz FSB to take full advantage of your DDR3-1800 RAM.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
sorry i mean the memory multiplier can be change to 1:1 or just to lowest available to make it in-sync with the FSB on the system. In extreme edition CPU from Intel you can adjust the system multiplier or CPU multiplier up or down depend on your taste!:p

running the memory lower will not cause any harm to the memory or the motherboard. if running it high i would say about 15% would not cause any damage to the components.

the rate speed given by the manufactures is just a tested guarranteed speed you can achieve (if not you can return them!!!lol). running it higher is not always guarranteed possible but in most case it is.

the motherboard of yours should do 450 FSB no problem or actually higher is acheivable. BUT! there is NO GUARRANTEE of you definitely can get there. thats the catch in buying parts and overclocking. give it a try.you wont break it no matter what you do to the settings in BIOS. unless you smash it on the floor that is!lol

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007

this apply only if he turn on the Unlink FSB & Memory option in Nvidia boards. im sure he will fo just fine!:)

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Please don't think I am stupid, but isn't DDR3 at triple speed, not double, or am I completely wrong about that?

If so, wouldn't that make DDR3 1800 3 x 600? Just like DDR2 800 is running at 400?

I'm just trying to clarify my understanding of new memory.

Thanks

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
So I understood correctly? It is 3 times the frequency, not double, like the example above?

If that's the case, you would be far closer to utilizing DDR3 with that setup/overclock, right?

baraccath

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Is it better to set a lower cpu multiplier and have a higher fsb then vice versa ?
eg. 333x9=2997 400x8=3200

Does a higher multiplier effect system performance or its better to have a low cpu multiplier?
eg. 333x9=2997 200x15=3000

Thanks

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
its better to have lower CPU multipler and have Higher FSB.this is due to the construction of the current Intel system. the whole of the system communicate with the CPU via FSB. so its obvious if the FSB is lower then devices will struggle getting through to "talk" to the CPU. understand?

baraccath

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Yes indeed, so the fact that extreme edition cpu's have their multipliers unlocked this will only help overclock the cpu clock speed only, so if this is the point do such processors offer more overclocking ability then normal ones? Or is there something else apart from that since the price range between the two(Qx & Q series) is drastically different.

Thanks

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
in general yes.

the unlocked multiplier allow you to reach the maximun potential speed of the CPU WHEN the motherboard is the limit. But just a side note the Extreme series have better physical quality in the core itself.

A pratice called Speed Bin is what CPU manufacture to pick the Good and the Bad CPUs at certain speed by a given voltage. and therefore set them at the speed they are "CAPABLE" of and sell it at different price range. but physically they are all the same CPU.

baraccath

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Thanks for making this clear now the price range does make more sense,but why have you stated that the motherboard has a limit and until now such highend motherboards like the P5E3 has revealed to offer one of the best overclockability due the good cooling and stability along with an extensive option for voltage and further tweaking aroud yet i myself still have to prove it !
If there's a real limit due the motherboard I don't know I would think more of a cpu ''limit'' mostly heating issues which would require extensive cooling switching to water cooling or phase for the most extemers.

Thanks

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
because as i said every electical component have difference in quality hence its ability. even a high end motherboard(actually ANY motherboard).

some can OC to say 500FSB but the same board someone else bought which stops at 450FSB. so to achieve the same speed with the same processor capable of 4Ghz. the unlock multiplier can help.
so its look like:
8*500=4Ghz
9*450=aprox. 4Ghz

but if this situation is on a normal edition of CPU you got no other option then uping the FSB to get to the speed. but you are not wrong about the heat problem.

now you get it?

Mondoman

Splendid

You are completely wrong about that (sorry!). The "3" means that it's the third generation of DDR memory designs. The memory is still double data rate, so its throughput is 2x the underlying memory bus clock.