Asus P5E high temp problems

bigchop

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Just built a P5E system with a intel core2 extreme 3.0 -4 gig of ddr2*1066-asus 8800gtx video card-sound blaster fx1 audio card -raid 1 western digital 500 sata2 drives and a pc power & cooling 750w power supply.It has 2 front fans and one rear fan with a standard intel cpu fan. Running Vista Ultimate 64.The motherboard temp is running 46*C and the cpu is at 49*C at idle viewed with asus probe.
What am i doing wrong with these high temps-recommendations to fix ???

Also vista does'nt see the sound card.Installed lastest 64bit drvs-no change. Red x on sound card icon states no audio device is installed-any help is appreciated

Are you sure the stock 775 heatsink/fan is seated firmly to the MB (all four legs seated). I've reached and pressed down on the top of them before and caused the HSF to touch the top of the CPU housing and watched the temp drop. Check the HSF and be sure it is mounted properly. Also, read the MB support page and see if anyone else is experiencing high temps with the BIOS you are using. The temp reading could be off. Installing a high performance HSF like the Zalman 9500/9700 may be in your future.

Try reseating the sound card and even installing it in a different PCI slot. Possible go to add/remove progrms and uninstall the driver, then reinstall it.

evan316

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
One other issue, if you are running Intels stock cooler you need to put something more serous on the CPU. More cooling, both case and CPU are a real good idea. If you want a bit more serious monitoring, buy Everest Ultimate Edition.

I have mine in a CM 830 Stacker case, it has 7, 120 mm fans. They are fairly quiet, which is the objective.

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-UH12 P

This is one of the top rated coolers for the CPU, around 60.00 dollars.

<http://www.acousticpc.com/noctua_nhu12p_120mm_cpu_cooler.html
Quiet CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U12P 120mm Fan CPU Cooler>