Partitioning / Boot Loader Problems

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Hello,

I have a computer with an 80GB Hard Drive on it. This HDD had XP on a 50GB Partition, and Linux on a 30GB Partition, installed so I can choose between either operating system with Grub when I boot up.

Well, I didn't want Linux anymore, so I used Norton Partition Magic to delete the Linux partition. Now, when I boot, GRUB loads and it just says 'unknown filesystem' and then 'GRUB rescue'.

Obviously I didn't realize the GRUB started with Linux first, so now I'm screwed and can't boot.

How do I fix this? Do I have to put in the Ubuntu CD and reinstall Linux on my now blank partition, or can I just somehow remove Grub and get back directly into Windows?

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
So what if I don't have the XP installation disc and Recovery Console evidently wasn't pre-installed?

Could I plug the HDD into my other PC with Vista on it and then modify boot.ini on the XP Drive or something like that?

Google for and download RC.iso which is the Recovery Console and which needs to be burned - not copied - to a CD or flash drive to make it workable. Alternatively, and better still since Windows probably won't repair this, use a Live CD of Ubuntu or similar to repair Grub by ticking to make Windows the default. That way, any other systems won't trouble you again.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Thanks, I'll try the RC.iso image and see if it works, thanks.

The fixes you're looking for in there will be FIXMBR, FIXBOOT and in extreme circumstances, BOOTCFG but I doubt Grub will survive any of those actions so you may never get back into Ubuntu. If that's important to you, try the second part of my posted advice first. I'll switch systems in an hour or so and check the exact location of the file menu.lst and post it back - if Mr. Linux doesn't beat me to it.[/#000ff]

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Cool, I download RC.iso off some website, burned it to a disc, plugged my CD drive in the other PC, typed in 'fixmbr' and it fixed it right away. Oh and I definitely don't need Ubuntu, that's how I got into this mess was using PartitionMagic in XP to just wipe the Ubuntu partition because I didn't want it anymore.

Thanks!

You're welcome - very handy that little RC tool, especially in XP Home which routinely came without the Console.