Sign in with
Your question

Cannot access my desktop icons

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 31, 2010 1:14:36 PM

Hello,
i cannot access my desktop icons. it tells me \\netdrive\storage\adango\my Documents.i have disabbled my firewall. how can i solve this problem

More about : access desktop icons

May 31, 2010 5:46:46 PM

Quote:
Hello,
i cannot access my desktop icons. it tells me \\netdrive\storage\adango\my Documents.i have disabbled my firewall. how can i solve this problem

Something you downloaded willingly or unwillingly infected your computer, probably with a virus, or an update corrupted the files.
click start, click all programs, can you see your programs list?
right click on the desktop, (not on an icon) left click on: arrange icons by, left click on: show desktop icons, does any of that work?

If you were able to see your list of programs as above, try running system restore first:
Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calender, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calender and repeat the procedure
If it does not work, repeat, try this with at least four earlier bold dates before giving up and trying something else

June 1, 2010 5:57:03 PM

Eliminate simple possibilities first...

(This is not available in Windows XP Home Edition)

Click....

Start
Run
enter this: Gpedit.msc
Click: Ok
Maximize the screen
Under "User Configuration," expand "Administrative Templates" (Click the plus sign)
Click on "Desktop"
In the right window pane, notice the first non-folder entry says "Hide and Disable all items on the Desktop"
Right-click that item and select "Properties"
set to "Not Configured" or "Disabled"
click Ok

See if it makes things come back to normal. No guarantees here, but this needs to be verified as Not the problem.
June 1, 2010 10:11:09 PM

Yes please go through all those tests. There is another way to restore the system if all this above does not work.
!