How much longer must I wait for motherboards. . .

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
using SB700-series southbridge chips? I have waited for AM2+ motherboards having the lovely 790FX northbridges, but these boards all use the older SB600 southbridge chips. I can't seem to find any reliable information on when motherboards with these new SB7xx southbridges will be available. At this point, I am leaning toward the SB750, but I am growing tired of waiting. . .

Anyone have a clue? Thanks in advance! :)

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I asked the same question yesterday... glad to know that I'm not the only one getting impatient. A couple of months ago, they were saying early Q1... no word since. If I knew that it was going to be 2 months or more, I think I'd break down and upgrade now, but if it's a week or two away... :??:

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Well, at least that Biostar mobo has a SB700 southbridge! Unfortunately, it has the wrong northbridge for me! I'm looking for a crossfire platform, not one with integrated graphics. Although, if I also want to roll out a HTPC, that might not be a bad choice.

WhyFi, I am in your position exactly! I can wait a little longer, but it would help a lot if I had some kind of target date.

If I consider Murphy's Law, the SB7xx-equipped mobos will come out just after I break down and get a SB600 mobo. If I extend this to include you, then the SB7xx's will come out just after YOU buy a SB600 mobo. Therefore, you must buy a SB600 mobo at once, and I will snatch up one of the SB7xx's immediately thereafter. ;)

Anyone else have any information that will help sustain me and WhyFi?

Thanks!

Serj

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I gave up waiting on AMD when, while waiting for their "fast" B3-stepped phenoms, Intel released the Wolfdale. I apologize, AMD, but you lost me for another generation. I was even buying parts to support a full-on Spider platform, so, I was really genuinely disappointed by the whole business of not pressing forward, at least in small quantities of a properly-stepped black edition.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I did a little looking today... and I was giddy when I saw that MSI had a brand spankin' new K9A2 VERSION 2!!!

And then I was disappointed when I saw that the new version still has SB600.

I might have to break down and buy the DFI, if only to bite the bullet for Altazi. That, and because I want to retire my Opty to HTPC/music server duty.