Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire release the Radeon HD3850 for AGP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2008 8:56:56 PM

It's been on the cards for a while now but finally it's here, AGP's last hurrah! :D 

http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Sapphire_Released_HD_38...

No prices as yet but expect at least 20% higher than PCI-X
January 4, 2008 9:18:42 PM

Thats bada**!!
January 4, 2008 9:33:58 PM

i dont see it in the sappire website...
Related resources
January 4, 2008 10:02:25 PM

Thanks for the "heads up". That makes two now, with PowerColor. And VisionTek is also rumored to produce this card.
January 4, 2008 11:16:02 PM

Blimey, won't AGP ever die??
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2008 12:11:47 AM

crusoe74 said:
AGP's last hurrah! :D 

I've been hearing that for a few years...
January 5, 2008 1:55:33 AM

crusoe74 said:
It's been on the cards for a while now but finally it's here, AGP's last hurrah! :D 

20% higher b/c I thought that when I finally upgraded my PC, everyone else would've already done theirs!
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2008 2:09:08 AM

It seems like it won't, ethel. Then again, spending $200 on a dying interface doesn't make much sense.
a c 1318 U Graphics card
January 5, 2008 10:32:10 AM

It might be a dying interface but there is a lot of people out there with socket 939 boards X2 processor 2gb ram and AGP slot. There is no reason for them to upgrade CPU yet so a powerful AGP card extends the life of their rigs.
January 5, 2008 10:54:16 AM

For socket 939 or maybe Pentium D its definetely a good buy but surely not for single cored Pen 4 or Athlon XP i think for these cpu's even ATi X1950 Pro will be bottleneck in 80% games can't understand why people are still buying these cards for such slow procesors
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 5, 2008 6:06:49 PM

8 Pin power conector bloody hell what kind of PSU are you going to need for that ? Im doubting anybody who has a shop bought AGP rig with a Athalon or P4 will have the power to run one of these any way.
Mactronix
January 5, 2008 6:25:28 PM

AGP for president! Naughty Naughty!
January 5, 2008 6:37:17 PM

mactronix said:
8 Pin power conector bloody hell what kind of PSU are you going to need for that ? Im doubting anybody who has a shop bought AGP rig with a Athalon or P4 will have the power to run one of these any way.
Mactronix

You can buy Molex -> PCI-E power adapters, and most cards will come with one.

There are people who have dual-processor or dual-core systems with AGP, or even highly clocked single core Athlon64 systems that could still make use of a card like this.
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 5, 2008 8:01:03 PM

So what sort of power are we looking at then because i have been all over the net and can only find the pcie spec which still dosent give Amps just that you need an extra 6pin 75 watt power cable so thats 75 from the slot and if it wants all the other 75 thats 150 watts = 12.5 amps. That cant be right can it?
Mactronix
January 6, 2008 2:23:04 AM

RuFuS said:
For socket 939 or maybe Pentium D its definetely a good buy but surely not for single cored Pen 4 or Athlon XP i think for these cpu's even ATi X1950 Pro will be bottleneck in 80% games can't understand why people are still buying these cards for such slow procesors

I will have to agree with that. I am tempted to snag one of these to pep up my AGP system before my next build but I am not sure if my system will utilize that much GPU. I am sure it will help but I bet I won't even be able to push that card to where it should be performing.

I remember seeing a post where someone upgraded to an x1950 Pro or maybe even an HD 2600 from something like an x800 and saw something like ~5% performance increase. They were running off a 478 socket mobo. If you search hard you might be able to find the post but I bet their system was just too old. It is like that time I slipped speed into my grandpa's OJ...nothing really happened...no JK that never happened.

Yeah but anyway, AGP is a little funky since you are pairing up newer technology on the GPU side with what could be ancient CPU / mobo chipset technology. It is tough to say which AGP card will top out an old system and I think there will be a lot of angry people that find out that their brand new 3850 yields surprisingly low performance gains to the point that they think they have a defective card.
February 7, 2008 12:11:51 PM

Hi people,

You made me register so that I could explain all this. I'm an AGP user and I want a 3850 AGP (I prefer the Sapphire version because it apparently has a single slot cooling system and I need my slots).

Athlon XP ? Single core P4 ? NO! I have Pentium 3!!! What you don't get is that before multi-core, the world had multi-processor systems. I have two of the latest P3s, at 1.4 GHz. As far as I know the chipset in my machine is the only one ever made that supports P3 and RDRAM. I got the RDRAMs for cheap (yeah, yeah, just luck) and I have 2 GB of ram. So, basically, it's like a dual-core 1.4 and with 2 GB of RDRAM (which by the way, works at 400 MHz, just like DDR-400). I ran some processor tests and apparently I outscored a P4 3 GHz with HyperThreading. Not by much (something like 100 points when both scores were over 2000), but I did. Dual, quad, even 8-processor systems existed before multi-core CPUs. That's where you can fit these powerful cards.
I just got a SATA controller for my machine. Upgrade the old things right and they will be close to modern systems performance. I can't compare my system with one of the latest dual cores, but I don't need maximum performance, just enough so that some of the latest things work on it. 3ds Max works, Photoshop works, Far Cry works and would've looked nice if I had a video card like the 3850, etc. Maybe even Crysis would work.
Some friend of mine has a P4 3 GHz with HT. He wanted Vista, installed it, and it worked fine (as in, no delay between clicking and the command actually happening).
Mind you, I have another friend looking to get the best single-core Pentium for a system he's building. He already got the 3850 PCIe for it, he'll get an Abit motherboard. I looked around and that processor is an Extreme Edition running at something like 3.7 GHz, which I read can be overclocked to 4.1 or something with just a good cooler and a little voltage increase! And the guy who said this on some forum was very happy about his system and unwilling to upgrade (don't know wether it was because of arrogance or just no need).

Someone asked me to build a system on a limited budget. I had to get an ASRock motherboard with AGP because it was cheap. The maximum configuration for that system is 2 GB DDR-400 in dual channel, and a QX6700 processor - quad core, extreme edition, factory clocked at 2.66 GHz, overclockable.

PCIe is faster, indeed. But AGP isn't that crap. As soon as I get that video card I'll try out Doom 3, for instance. Again, older systems, upgraded rightly, perform ok. Not super, just ok.
February 7, 2008 12:17:31 PM

runswindows95 said:
It seems like it won't, ethel. Then again, spending $200 on a dying interface doesn't make much sense.

Thats a bit snobby, that $200 will preserve an older system that would cost alot more to replace.
February 7, 2008 12:21:07 PM

SpinachEater said:
I will have to agree with that. I am tempted to snag one of these to pep up my AGP system before my next build but I am not sure if my system will utilize that much GPU. I am sure it will help but I bet I won't even be able to push that card to where it should be performing.

I remember seeing a post where someone upgraded to an x1950 Pro or maybe even an HD 2600 from something like an x800 and saw something like ~5% performance increase. They were running off a 478 socket mobo. If you search hard you might be able to find the post but I bet their system was just too old. It is like that time I slipped speed into my grandpa's OJ...nothing really happened...no JK that never happened.

Yeah but anyway, AGP is a little funky since you are pairing up newer technology on the GPU side with what could be ancient CPU / mobo chipset technology. It is tough to say which AGP card will top out an old system and I think there will be a lot of angry people that find out that their brand new 3850 yields surprisingly low performance gains to the point that they think they have a defective card.

yeah but then again i have a 2nd system with a dual core p4, agpx8 slot and a 6600gt. That system would benefit from a 3850. Theres probably more than a few people out there who would benefit from a peppy vid card upgrade.
February 7, 2008 1:34:20 PM

j_me said:

Mind you, I have another friend looking to get the best single-core Pentium for a system he's building. He already got the 3850 PCIe for it, he'll get an Abit motherboard. I looked around and that processor is an Extreme Edition running at something like 3.7 GHz, which I read can be overclocked to 4.1 or something with just a good cooler and a little voltage increase!

Your old system seems to be able to keep up but there is really no reason to use older technology for a new build. Please tell me your friend is not buying the P965 EE @ 3.73Ghz, that was a rip-off even when it first came out. Unless he got it for <$100.
February 7, 2008 1:53:16 PM

crusoe74 said:

PCIe stands for PCI Express. PCI-X is a totally different interconnent used for servers. Please do not confuse the two. I'm guessing people running stop-gap systems with C2Ds and C2Qs on ASRock motherboards are elated.
February 7, 2008 2:19:49 PM

mactronix said:
So what sort of power are we looking at then because i have been all over the net and can only find the pcie spec which still dosent give Amps just that you need an extra 6pin 75 watt power cable so thats 75 from the slot and if it wants all the other 75 thats 150 watts = 12.5 amps. That cant be right can it?
Mactronix

No, according to Xbitlabs, the 3850 consumes only about 65W at load.
Looking at the power charts they posted, it looks like the card draws 32W from the PCI-E slot, and 28W from the power connector.

From the Xbitlabs review:
"...Unlike Nvidia’s solutions, ATI’s Radeon HD 3870/3850 load the internal +12V line more than then external one. The load is not higher than 45W even in the hardest mode, which is far below the limit set in the PCI Express 1.0/1.1 specification: 75W for the slot and 75W for each external connector. The +3.3V line has a low load in every mode – 1.6-1.7W."

Shouldn't be too much different for the AGP version, I reckon.

February 7, 2008 5:06:30 PM

turboflame said:
Your old system seems to be able to keep up but there is really no reason to use older technology for a new build. Please tell me your friend is not buying the P965 EE @ 3.73Ghz, that was a rip-off even when it first came out. Unless he got it for <$100.

Of course I wouldn't use old tech for new setups, I was just saying this: if you have an old system, 90% of the time it wasn't used at the maximum (the best processor the motherboard supported, the maximum amount of ram, latest technology on the optical drive side, a great sound card, the best video card you use with it, etc.). So if you have an old motherboard it's kinda cool to run all over the place and find the best components you can use with it, plus you'll have a somewhat reliable system since all the parts are top-notch.

I don't know if the P4 3.73 GHz is from the 965 series. The Intel code / part number is SL7Z4. He got it for free :) 

Also, since this is a thread about the 3850 AGP, people might find it useful to know the 3850 works on AGP 4x as far as I know. The PCIe to AGP conversion chip, the Rialto, supports AGP 4x as well as 8x. All you need is a motherboard with AGP 4x at 1.5 V (like I do). More info here:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 7, 2008 6:33:07 PM

Thanks for replying bash007
Since i posted that i have been digging about and taking xbits numbers which may be wrong ? but hey im not checking another lot. I have worked out that it roughly uses just a bit more than a 1950 pro at peak. I am very impressed with the way the powerplay works its 2d figures are virtually on the floor. I guess the extra power cable is to do with stability ?
The AGP will run more power they always do its because of the rialto chip.
Thanks again
Mactronix
February 7, 2008 8:59:59 PM

AGP 4x would bottleneck the card though, since AGP 8x is slightly better than PCI-e x8 (I believe it's like 2133 Mb/s vs 2000 Mb/s?) and the 3850 should be somewhere close to making use the whole bandwidth of AGP 8x, which is most likely the reason that making a HD 3870 is a pointless thing to do.

As someone said before, the ONLY place where this card belongs is on S939 X2, 2GB DDR400, AGP 8x slot machines. This guy with the dual P3 is a very rare exception, but then again for a little bit more he could retire his machine for a far faster PC that will take care of his needs anyway.
February 7, 2008 9:51:14 PM

I bet a new mobo with IGP (nVidia 7000) running an OC'd E2160 would be about as fast. And cost less than this AGP card.

And at least it would have PCI-E for a future upgrade path.

On second thought, maybe not, but what do you all think?

EDIT: But in all reality, for some enthusiasts, its not just about performance gain, but how much you can squeeze out of what you have. And in that respect, this card could be fun for tinkering.
I want to make a HTPC with my old 939 A64 3500 and mobo...and I just found a card that could swing it!
February 7, 2008 10:07:28 PM

Indeed, my AGP 4x slot would bottleneck the card, but you see, there is no other card that would give me DX 10.1 support.
My computer isn't that rare, it's a Dell Precision Workstation 620 MT. Comes with dual P3 Xeons, mine came with CPUs running at 933 MHz and someone bought me as a gift the Powerleap upgrade that includes the two P3 1.4, and adapters from their FC-PGA2 sockets to Slot 2. And coolers. Paid something like 350 $ for the whole box (in 2006), with 1 GB RDRAM in it, and the MSI Geforce 2 Pro (64 MB DDR). Another 1 GB of RDRAM was about 150$ I think (paid much less for it, but just luck), and the CPU upgrade I heard still costs 400$. With that kind of money you could probably build a newer, much better system, but mid-range.
The chipset that lets you use 2 GB RDRAM and multi-P3 is, according to the Everest software, Intel Carmel i840. If you search for other motherboards with this chipset, I'm sure you'll find others, but probably not many, and on the server side anyway. They might have FC-PGA directly, and thus the CPU upgrade would cost less - Upgradeware makes FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 adapters for relatively cheap (30$?). A P3 1.4 is about 100 $ or even less.

Consider this: you have a motherboard that was high-end for its time, and you have to throw it away just because it isn't modern. Properly taking care of it, though, you can get enough for average needs. A little more money ? If I sold the machine as it is right now, I would get little for it - not nearly enough for a new mid-range system.
If you think about it not having USB 2, SATA or Gigabit LAN, stop there. I can fit a Gigabit card in it. I got a PCI USB 2 + Firewire 800 + SATA (2 ports) controller for 35 $ (made by SIIG) at Compuvest. Since the normal PCI is only 33 MHz, I can mod the card to enable 66 MHz operation (you only need to cover one pin on the card, on the back side) and fit it into a 66 MHz PCI slot (I have two or three of these). I even got PATA to SATA adapters for something like 3 $ on Ebay but the combo controller hasn't arrived yet. SATA II is useful only if the harddrive itself works that fast. 3 Gbps means roughly 375 MB/s - how many hard drives are that fast ? Maxtor always made ATA-133 hard drives, but their real transfer rates were low enough for ATA-66. And this motherboard comes with an integrated SCSI controller, with a speed standard called "Ultra-Wide 160" which I figured means 160 MB / s (Ultra-Wide 320 exists, and it's already old). I can get 300 GB hard drives (made for the 320 standard) that also work on 160.

Main reason why I prefer upgrading ancient hardware: all this hardware in an old machine means you can't get better hardware for it. If I got a new, mid-range or low-range system, there would be room for upgrading - to technologies I really don't need. Quad core ? For what ? 3d Mark, AquaMark scores ? Playing the latest games ? Which are only "remixes" of older games ? Spore is a very innovative game. I'm quite sure it works on this machine, with a 3850.

I ran an online test once, for some new game I don't remember the name of. It was a site that tested your machine with browser plugins and told you how good it is for a specific game (and they had a game database). Processor performance ? Far more than needed, it said. Ram ? More would be great, but it's enough. The video card was not enough due to the supported standards the game needed - see why the AGP 3850 is useful, even in an AGP 4x system ?
A lot of networks are still using the 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet standard, even though the latest standard is 10 Gigabit Ethernet (and 100 Gigabit in early development). Only one thing missing from a maxed-out old PC: processor instruction sets. I wish I had SSE2, SSE3, etc. An IBM Netfinity 8500R with 8 P3 Xeons at 550 MHz is better than my system in CPU tests.

Remember, it's of course ok to get a new system and not an old one, but if you have some old high-end machine sitting somewhere you'd be surprised of what it can do. This is probably why the 3850 was also made for AGP - for the likes of me. I don't want to get a newer system, this one does everything I need it to do, except support the latest standards in graphics. Squeeze everything of what you have, like rallyimprezive said.
February 7, 2008 10:35:59 PM

j_me said:

I don't know if the P4 3.73 GHz is from the 965 series. The Intel code / part number is SL7Z4. He got it for free :) 

Oh, I see, I think that's the fastest prescott pentium 4 made.

Not bad, a free processor and a free space heater.
February 7, 2008 10:40:19 PM

Yeah, turboflame, that's the fastest prescott ever made. The latest single-core Pentium was the Celeron 440, based on the Core architecture. I think it's poorer than this fastest prescott. He wanted to get one of these but I advised against it.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2008 10:47:06 PM

Quote:
Indeed, my AGP 4x slot would bottleneck the card, but you see, there is no other card that would give me DX 10.1 support.
I don't want to get a newer system, this one does everything I need it to do, except support the latest standards in graphics.

Trust me, I am not at all against the 3850 going to AGP and would even buy one for one of my AGP rigs if priced right... But why on earth is DX10.1 so important to you? You are running dual PIII's, 4X AGP, Vista (I take it), and you really think DX10.1 is going to be such a plus for you?

February 7, 2008 11:08:23 PM

Good luck getting that rig, plus a 3850 agp, plus Vista (which is needed for your precious DX 10.1) to work. It won't. Buy a used x1950 pro or something and save yourself the headache.
February 7, 2008 11:19:18 PM

Nope, I don't like Vista. It has better memory management when it comes to large memory amounts, seems to be very stable but the system requirements are quite big. It can run on a K5 processor and 512 ram if the motherboard has ACPI support, mind you, but I don't feel I'm really getting something for the difference in system requirements (and hard drive space...). XP runs on Pentium Overdrive processors (two models made, 63 and 83 MHz) that were Pentiums made for upgrading socket 6 or socket 3 486 systems, respectively. It had 32-bit data bus instead of 64 so it can work on 486 motherboards, and a voltage regulator on it, to convert the 486 5 V to Pentium 3.3 V. XP installs and runs on that!

Anyway, DX10.1 is just good to have. Latest standard with bottlenecks versus older standards without them. I'd like to try out some DX10 games in the future, just to see if it would be worth upgrading. Because I think it's not. And if I wanted DX10 and not 10.1 I would've gotten a 2600 XT for AGP. Wouldn't that be limited by the AGP 4x bus ? Why get a lesser one, then ?
You can stumble upon games or even software in some cases, that are not resource-heavy, but require top-notch video card standards. Just in case. Again, squeezing the most out of old systems means upgrading them with the absolute latest tehnology, where possible. Can't get a SATA II controller, they're only made for PCIe because PCI is too slow. Don't need one anyway, since PATA hard drives adapted to SATA won't go above 1.5 Gbps (the controller on the motherboard only supports ATA-66 and that's too slow).

Vista required for DX10 and 10.1 ? Yeah, for the moment. But there's ReactOS!
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2008 11:48:29 PM

I'm spinning here. You must have the upcoming DX 10.1 standard in your AGP card that hopefully will work in your AGP 4X slot, on your dual PIII mobo? And to top it off you have no interst in Vista? You seem to have such backward hardware to care about an upcoming standard.

Question for you, it sounds like your system is capable in newer games that support multithreading, right? But have you found any non-multithread games that your PIII is under minimum spec? Look back to the first FX57 vs FX60 gaming tests and the FX-57 usually won because most of the games didn't support multithreading so it's 200MHz clock difference caused it to win. Now in those games what are the min spec cpu. (like BF2, minimum spec is a 1.7GHz P4 or AXP). Now your PIII on rambus could beat a P4 1.7 on PC133, but still it just makes me think about cases where your system really can't shine. It's not a rig you'd see too often and especially for gaming, so it's just got me thinking a bit. I thought I was one of the biggest AGP ludites around, But I think I have to pass my crown over to you. Welcome to the forums man. :) 
February 8, 2008 12:07:29 AM

Pauldh is making a lot of sense. Why build a brand new pc and just leave AGP alone?

On the side note, I still have my 16MB voodoo card. :) 
February 8, 2008 12:37:18 AM

Can a guy write a long e-mail without being constantly notified of replies ? :D 

It will work. It uses the Rialto conversion chip, and Rialto works on AGP 4x. I wanna get it now to save myself from the many hard searches I'll have to do later to get it :)  That is, when ReactOS will have DX10 support (since DX10.1 is really just stricter in hardware requirements, it has few actual improvements). I say a year or two, plus a few months.

Found any non-multithread games where my PIII is under minimum spec ? Yes, and amazingly some worked. Sometimes well enough, sometimes poorly, but I need about 20 fluent fps (no lock-ups when new events happen, like I got on 33 MHz with 4 MB ram playing Doom 2 in a very crowded level, back in 1995) to play.

AMD Athlon FX processors ? Not an expert in AMDs I'm afraid. I was sick of people and magazines telling me the K6-2 is better than the Pentium II, due to 3D-Now! you don't need a 3D video card, etc. K6-III or even better, the K6-III+ (lots of L2 cache, actually a "mobile" processor) may outdo a Pentium II running at the same speed, but I don't think the K6-II or even K6-II+ does. Athlons better than P3s. Right. And what cooler would I need ?
Anyway, my system doesn't shine in just any situation, but I really don't think I need all of the situations.

PCIe motherboards have annoyingly few basic PCI slots for older stuff you might want to include in your new system (like a Voodoo II, Evilonigiri - I have two Voodoo IIs in SLI in this old machine). Lesser slot cards (e.g. x1 cards, like TV tuners) should work on any higher slot (x4, x8...) but it's not guaranteed. The P4 Prescott guy insists on having a lot of old PCI modems in his computers, for instance, because each one supports some little telephony feature that he actually uses. He doesn't like adapters, either - Japanese people made an adapter to fit PCI cards into PCIe x1 slots, but even if he could, he wouldn't get one.

Ok, you know what ? Suppose I don't have a dual P3 system. Suppose I have a socket 478 system. With 4 GB DDR-400 with ECC. With AGP 8x. With a P4 EE at 3.4 GHz (SL7CH). Overclockable, since it has an unlocked multiplier. Would the 3850 fit into that ?

I too still keep my 16 MB Voodoo Banshee. Waiting to be able to fit it into the above S478 system, as long as that guy develops his AGP to PCI adapter...

I've registered only to show you people a different point of view. I'm not trying to say get older systems. Go ahead and sell them, who knows what hardware maniac (:D ) you'll make the day of. I'm not tying to fight on this topic and say that AGP is better, or enough, and so PCIe is not necessary. I'm just trying to give an answer or two, to people who are genuinely asking themselves "why in the world would anyone buy an AGP 3850 except for S939 dual core owners?!"

Thanks, pauldh.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2008 1:23:20 AM

People keep claiming the gecube X1950XT AGP (current king of AGP gaming) doesn't work on 4x only mobos. I'm not sure if it's true, was surprised to see it, and haven't seen good proof either way. But if so that be an example of a rialto bridge chip card not working with AGP 4X.
February 8, 2008 1:28:26 AM

Well my dad can now upgrade his x1950 pro on his 939 mobo with x2 processor if he ever feels it isn't fast enough.

I'm also confused by the statement, j-me, that you wanted DX 10.1 card, but you aren't going to use vista. I can see just wanting a faster card (even though its going to be bottlenecked by AGP 4x slot), but dx 10 can only be used if you have Vista. . .
February 8, 2008 1:33:40 AM

For the moment, San Pedro, for the moment. Yes, right now you must have Vista for DX10. But there's ReactOS. I don't want to advertise it (forum rules usually include "no advertising or we'll find you and demolish your house and kill you slowly!") so just do a search for it. It might be a year or two until they implement DX10 support (i.e. any DX10 application running on it), but I feel it will come.
February 8, 2008 2:17:02 AM

pauldh, look here:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overvi...

It says the 2600 XT AGP works on AGP 4x. Before looking at the 2600 (before the 3850 was announced) I asked a guy who apparently knows what he's talking about. His words were "The Rialto chip definitely runs at AGP 4X when
using the "standard configuration". There's no reason for them to hook
Rialto up in a way which doesn't support AGP 4X. So an AGP 2600 XT would
support AGP 4X unless the board maker made an extremely bizarre mistake."

These being said, I really think it will work on 4x.
February 8, 2008 1:14:25 PM

j_me said:
PCIe motherboards have annoyingly few basic PCI slots for older stuff you might want to include in your new system

You're not looking hard enough

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5 PCI slots, as many as most old ATX AGP motherboards. And most PCIe boards have at least two (and most times three, when dual 16x slots are omitted).
February 8, 2008 1:36:20 PM

Wohoo, nice board, thanks for pointing it out KyleSTL. Wonder if it supports two floppy drives. Also, if it can boot from PATA optical drives or just SATA ones.
February 8, 2008 2:03:10 PM

20% higher than pci-e,just sell them your soul.i'm sure some older systems will benefit but is it worth getting bentover and not getting a reach around,lol
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2008 10:22:21 PM

Hey check it out. Gecube's Feb 20, 2008 press release says they were the first to start shipping AGP 3850's. :) 
http://www.gecube.com/press-release-detail.php?id=69914

So So far, Sapphire, Powercolor, GeCube, and Club 3D will make them. I suspect HIS will follow.
February 8, 2008 11:40:29 PM

pauldh said:
Hey check it out. Gecube's Feb 20, 2008 press release says they were the first to start shipping AGP 3850's. :) 
http://www.gecube.com/press-release-detail.php?id=69914

So So far, Sapphire, Powercolor, GeCube, and Club 3D will make them. I suspect HIS will follow.

Awesome I'm seeing into the future.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2008 11:51:33 PM

KyleSTL said:
Awesome I'm seeing into the future.

:lol:  Yeah, me too. Too bad I'm failing to find lotto numbers on their site though.

Hmm, as long as their RMA department doesn't work with the same calendar. Imaging returning a card next month and having them decline it because your Warranty expired already back on 2-8-2009. :pt1cable: 
February 8, 2008 11:54:10 PM

pauldh said:
This Sapphire document linked below mentions 4x/8x.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/pressfiles/79_reg1.doc

Also states specs are subject to change. :sarcastic: 

Exactly why I mentioned the 2600 XT works on 4x/8x, and not the 3850. I downloaded the document myself, and noticed both pieces of information :D 

Apparently the Powercolor 3850 AGP doesn't work on AGP 4x. Well, maybe. They only list AGP 8x on their product page. Apart from that, it steals the adjacent slot with a cooler that's too big for the heat dissipated by a 55 nm chip. Can't wait to see pictures of the Gecube.
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2008 12:01:10 AM

j_me said:
Exactly why I mentioned the 2600 XT works on 4x/8x, and not the 3850. I downloaded the document myself, and noticed both pieces of information :D 

Apparently the Powercolor 3850 AGP doesn't work on AGP 4x. Well, maybe. They only list AGP 8x on their product page. Apart from that, it steals the adjacent slot with a cooler that's too big for the heat dissipated by a 55 nm chip. Can't wait to see pictures of the Gecube.

? The Sapphire link above is to info on the 3850 AGP not the 2600XT AGP.
(edit: nevermind...now I get-it)
And I agree, it's a maybe on the powercolor. Seeing 8X listed doesn't rule out 4X.
February 9, 2008 12:03:13 AM

j_me said:
pauldh, look here:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overvi...

It says the 2600 XT AGP works on AGP 4x. Before looking at the 2600 (before the 3850 was announced)...

This is where I mentioned the 2600 and not the 3850. Exactly because Sapphire does indeed say 4x/8x but also mentions specs are subject to change without notice. I just hope someone from Sapphire is watching this forum :D 
!