Sapphire release the Radeon HD3850 for AGP! - page 3

138 answers Last reply
  1. runswindows95 said:
    So I was right. It is $200. if I was running an old AGP system, I would save up another $200 and build a new system.

Yeah, you can get an E8400 with that money.
  2. Well I have an old 939 system with an FX-60 in it and I'd love to get one of them.
    I just checked ewiz though - though cards are gone already!
    At ~200.00 I'll bite - closer to 250.00 and I really have to think about it...
  3. yeah you can get a E8400 with $200 but what the heck are you going to do with a CPU and nothing else to go with it??????!!!!!!!!
  4. mountedpatrolman said:
    yeah you can get a E8400 with $200 but what the heck are you going to do with a CPU and nothing else to go with it??????!!!!!!!!

Haha, well true. I guess you could use it as a coaster until you get a mobo to put it to good use.
  5. sdrac said:
    Well I have an old 939 system with an FX-60 in it and I'd love to get one of them.
    I just checked ewiz though - though cards are gone already!
    At ~200.00 I'll bite - closer to 250.00 and I really have to think about it...

I agree with ya. $200ish is the sweet spot.
  6. $100 for an e2200
    $100 for 4GB of DDR2 or $50 for 2GB of DDR2
    $100 for a mobo
    $100 for a new GPU

Sdrac, I also agree with you on the $200 spot as well.
  7. ^ Yeah and you won't touch HD3850 level of performance with a $100 GPU.
  8. runswindows95 said:
    $100 for an e2200
    $100 for 4GB of DDR2 or $50 for 2GB of DDR2
    $100 for a mobo
    $100 for a new GPU

Sdrac, I also agree with you on the $200 spot as well.

Yeah, and the 2600XT you get for that $100 will not be bottlenecked by your E2200 running at 3.0. However it's still not going to outperform a 3850 and an older processor. Spend more money, get less performance (currently); or spend less money and more performance (currently). Although the argument can be made for the better upgrade path, Nehalem is around the corner and that'll render all the 775 upgrades extinct (just ask me about that, I'm on a 478).
  9. KyleSTL said:
    Yeah, and the 2600XT you get for that $100 will not be bottlenecked by your E2200 running at 3.0. However it's still not going to outperform a 3850 and an older processor. Spend more money, get less performance (currently); or spend less money and more performance (currently). Although the argument can be made for the better upgrade path, Nehalem is around the corner and that'll render all the 775 upgrades extinct (just ask me about that, I'm on a 478).

Wow, are you skipping the 775 all together to hold out for the Nehalem in 09?
  10. KyleSTL said:

Now there is some sensible talk going on, if you still have aenough juice in s478 now, just hang on because the launch of nehalem is looking like mid 2008 now and its well worth the wait. :heink:
  11. Anonymous said:
    Now there is some sensible talk going on, if you still have aenough juice in s478 now, just hang on because the launch of nehalem is looking like mid 2008 now and its well worth the wait. :heink:

That's what everyone's been saying. Netburst -> Core will pale in comparison to Core -> Nehalem. I'm not sure on the validity of those comments, but it's worth it to me to hang on to what I have (P4, 7600GS AGP OCd, IDE everything on a Samsung 152N - 1024x768). It plays what I want at maximum resolution (don't worry, you're laughing with me, not at me on that one) and quality settings. Next up, quad/octo Nehalem with 9600/9800 on a 16x10 LCD (because I can't fit anything taller within my desk).

Edit: @SpinachEater: so does that Tandy have dual 5.25" floppy drives? What a beast. LOL. What are you running anyway (curiousity)?
  12. @paulldh: well, they just came back into stock at ewiz. Not as cheap as when you found them, but I picked one up anyway for $211 - close enough to the 200 mark for me. Can't wait to see what this will do for my old rig :wahoo: - I'll post some benchies once I get it!
  13. ^ Hey thx. That was a short out of stock period. It should do great in your "old" FX-60. Enjoy.
  14. KyleSTL said:

Edit: @SpinachEater: so does that Tandy have dual 5.25" floppy drives? What a beast. LOL. What are you running anyway (curiousity)?

Haha, floppies. 1.2MB of double density storage baby. It took 300 disks and 15 days to install Crysis...but then my 32MB hard drive couldn't handle it. I'm on a 478 too at the moment :pfff: . I am going to build in May...there is no way I can wait for Nehalem to roll out and drop into my price range. Plus, rumor has it that the 08 release will be the extreme $1K version. They will be a lot cheaper than the Tandy 5000s though...

15. Looks Like I am going to be jumping on this bandwagon as well I RMA'd my 7950GT AGP last month and XFX is telling me they have none left, They want to give me a 8800GT LOL thats like having the $200 E8400, a good graphics card and no computer to put it in! Or they told me to wait and see if they get more in indefinitely...... I definitely don't have the money to upgrade systems so if they refund my money I'll probably get the sapphire card, I was really wanting the gecube version though!
  16. I figure I'd post here before creating a new topic.

I made the plunge and ordered a sapphire 3850 agp. My cpu will definately bottleneck this card but I figured it was a good investment that would allow me to play all the SM 3.0 games that I can't with my x800xt.

My problem is this...

I've been reading that this card requires 30amps on the 12v rail. I just checked my PSU. It's a 500w PSU but it says on the 12v+ that it's 28a. Is this gonna pose a problem for me or will this be enough amperage to run the card?

If not this will definately be the quickest RMA I've ever done.

Thanks for any and all help.
  17. I think you should be fine, since the 30 amps should mean peak power consumption, and since your system will surely bottleneck it...
  18. Cool. But say if it somehow reaches that peak of 30a, is it gonna blow my PSU? Or will the 28a suffice, hopefully.
  19. As far as I know the worst that can happen may harm your system, depending on the quality of the PSU. 12V wires may burn and melt their electric isolation, which is what happened to a friend with a poor, cheap PSU and a very power-hungry processor. So, it may kill the PSU. I don't think that's the case with a good PSU, though, even if specs say it's a little under the requirements. It should have built-in protection against any such problems, if it's a branded, reliable PSU.
  20. Well, now I have to say that worries me a little. The PSU is pretty generic. I mean it's solid, don't get me wrong. It's been a great PSU for what I've been asking of it. That said, I'm just wondering if I should take the chance.

Do you think if the PSU gives out while in use it could ruin this graphics card? Because a power failure would only spur me into getting a new computer. Not that I can necessarily afford it, but I would have to do something. I can't live without my computer. Ugh. I don't know if I should try it out or not.

Regardless, thanks for the replies j_me.
  21. Nah, I right now I can't remember when I saw the last ATX PC die because of a PSU failure. The PSU will probably get the fuse blown out, replacing it will only make the new one blow up again when you reinsert the power cable. A good PSU is most probably mandatory in these days - I assume everyone here would confirm that. Even for dated systems, like I stubbornly still have.

And no, a PSU won't kill a specific component. Hm, maybe a hard drive, if it's working intensely. The first to go down should be the motherboard, but in some rare cases where the mobo is short-circuited by some components from the PSU, that failed. Components inside PSU fail - motherboard has a short-circuit on it because whatever the component from the PSU was(resistor, capacitor, etc.), it's the equivalent of a (carbon) wire right now and a circuit might close through it. This is usually prevented by the fuse, or in the case of better PSUs, by a relay.
    Uh, I forgot to tell you. Good PSUs also have power factor correction, active (more expensive) or passive. So, with a good PSU, even if some component goes hectic, the PSU should prevent any electrical mishaps.
    Everyone I know who has gotten a reliable PSU, have thanked theirselves later for that. You're welcome.
  22. Cool, thanks for the info.

Well, I think I'm just gonna go for it. I won't be able to just send back a brand new graphics card without at least giving it a go. Who knows, maybe it won't even fit in my case. It's a pretty tight fit as it is.
  23. 28A will suffice as 3850 peak 95w/12v=~8A max it'll need,
    it should fit in a normal atx case and when you get it give us your feedback.
  24. 30 amps assumes a loaded system. If you run 3 HDD's and 2 optical drives you may have a problem as each uses up some 12v power. Then again your cpu isn't using all that much compared to others out there. But you are very close to 30 amp. If the card doesn't get enough juice, you will have stability issues (boot to desktop, lockups, crashes, etc.) If that happens you can get a PSU with 30 amps for very little on newegg. SHoot, the Antec earthwatts 430W has 30 amps, is made by seasonic, and has been as low as $25 after rebate. Although right now no rebates and the 500W is on sale for the same price (34 amps).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007
  25. ethel said:
    Blimey, won't AGP ever die??

How long did it take for them to stop producing regular PCI video cards. The last one I heard of was a ATI x1550 PCI card less than a year ago.

I don't think AGP will be COMPLETELY dead for another year or two. There will be some company that will keep making them.
  26. The difference is that it's easier to make a card on a PCI interface than make a PCIe chip AGP.

I'm sure someone will keep making them for some time to come, maybe even a DX11 card, but I don't see the need to anymore. It's all nice to upgrade your rig and save money, but the time and effort isn't worth it anymore for most people with the option of the cheap PCs out there. The market is getting smaller and smaller, and the need beyond an HD3850 is questionable if there would be much benefit, we'll have to wait and see what the reviews show.
  27. Yeah, I agree about whether or not we need these cards. But, at the same time, it will continue.

But, there will be a point (which we are fast approaching) where the CPUs on mobos with AGP just won't be able to feed an AGP version of a "next gen" video card. Also, the AGP bandwith, though not much of a hinderance with most games now, will become a problem in the future. But, same with the PCI (regular) cards. I remember reading about people trying to get a PCI x1300 card to run Oblivion, and they succeeded (with major adjustments to everything and low settings). It is a market that will be around for a while, though ever shrinking.

I am glad I finally made the leap to PCI-e. It took me a while, but I just didn't see the point of getting anything better than a 7800 GS (AGP). My CPU (A64 3200+ skt 754) would be a bottleneck on anything faster.
  28. Yea, I'm not running alot of hardware on my system. Only one hard drive. 3 cd-roms though.

I'll post results probably tomorrow when I receive the card.
  29. Well, I got my 3850 in the mail today. I installed it and ran some tests. My system bottlenecks this card terribly. I'm running an Athlon 64 3200+. 2gb corsair xms pc3200, and of course the 3850. I was pleased with some of the tests, and not so much on others. I was quite shocked with one of the test as you can see below.

3dMark01 - 20,827----->23,598

3dMark03 - 11,623----->26,113(wow!)

3dMark05 - 5,956------>9,936

3dMark06 - 2,364------>5,789

Aquamark 3 - 63,223--->69,369

Overall not too bad. Though I have run across a couple of strange things. One, while running 03, 05, 06 after each test I had to restart my computer because the next program wouldn't open up. Also, my internet has been chugging. And it's not just the speed the pages load. Lags when I click on the search bar for example.

I noticed when I installed this beast that I was snug up on the hard drive cables. I can't imagine slightly pinching them would cause problems but I don't know.

The card runs pretty quiet actually. About the same as my x800xt. And this card has a much bigger fan.

I haven't run any real games yet though. I'm looking forward to trying some of those sm3.0 games I've yet to be able to play.
  30. It might be the crappy drivers right now. Its possible that it could be your psu but i doubt it. I too will post some scores when i get my card.
  31. For the love... junk the damn AGP board already!!!
  32. happy_fanboy said:
    For the love... junk the damn AGP board already!!!

Why, if it ain't broke...

He seems to have improved his scores quite a bit. Obviously, not as good as going to a 8800GT, but most games will probably run pretty good. AGP is dying, but that doesn't mean we need to get rid of working PCs. Not everyone needs 8 billion points in 3Dmark06.
  33. I have a question for the pros on here. My current rig is this:

E4300
    2 gigs of ram
    1950pro agp 256meg

Will this card give me a huge jump in performance or should I just save money and rebuy a new CPU, MB, RAM and Graphic Card later this year with the 8 cores come out?
  34. jesusisgod said:
    I have a question for the pros on here. My current rig is this:

E4300
    2 gigs of ram
    1950pro agp 256meg

Will this card give me a huge jump in performance or should I just save money and rebuy a new CPU, MB, RAM and Graphic Card later this year with the 8 cores come out?

it really depends if u have over clocked that CPu or not...if u have it running higher clocks than a hd3850 is worth it simply b/c u are not bottlenecked b/c of single core, older dual core's and or, i am hoping that is some decent ram.
  35. Do you know what the next-gen card is coming out from ATI or NVIDIA? What I mean is what type of a performance jump will it be compared to the 8800gtx?

Also, what is the next CPU that is going to come out? I saw that MAC's have 8 cores already.

I would rather perfer to upgrade everything but I want to make sure my money is well spent. Any advice is much appreciated.
  36. jesusisgod said:
    Do you know what the next-gen card is coming out from ATI or NVIDIA? What I mean is what type of a performance jump will it be compared to the 8800gtx?

Also, what is the next CPU that is going to come out? I saw that MAC's have 8 cores already.

I would rather perfer to upgrade everything but I want to make sure my money is well spent. Any advice is much appreciated.

you do realize that w/o any pertinent information as to what you do pc wise, we cannot assist you as, 4 cores isn't fully utilized on all applications, so 8 is more uselessness, so tell us what you are doing, and what resolution you do it at, and that will help us, hep u...
  37. jesusisgod said:
    Do you know what the next-gen card is coming out from ATI or NVIDIA? What I mean is what type of a performance jump will it be compared to the 8800gtx?

Quick answers:

ATI HD4 series (supposed to be June ) Nvidia G100 series Q3/4 2008. (9 series just released)
    Intel Nehalem, 4 & 8 cores Q4 2008 / Q1 2009

But as FrozenGpu has said without more info on what you'll want your computer to do a basic 'list' is all we can really provide.
    Also it has nothing to do with the thread I originally started.
  38. Here is my PC: Pentium 4(C) Northwood 3.4 GHz HT, 800 MHz FSB, with 4 GB of PC3200 DDR Dual Channel @ 400 MHz, a Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 SATA2 HD (32 MB cache), and an eVGA 7800GS CO AGP 8X 256MB GDDR3 (core 430 MHz, memory at 1300 Mhz). Monitor is 22" HP flatscreen 1680x1050, DVD-D. I dual boot Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu 8.10 (with Compiz Fusion). 460W PSU.

Question: Would it really be worthwhile for me to "upgrade" to the 512MB ATI Radeon HD3850 AGP 8X vid card for around $159.00, since everything else is maxed out on this system? After all, I do have a small fortune invested in it, and just don't have the heart to abandon it quite yet. Plus, I don't have the $$$$ for a new system.

NewEgg has this card; the brand name is "HIS". The big benefits, as I see them, would be the 512 MB (as opposed to the 256MB that my current card has), plus the DirectX 10.1 support.
  39. Trevor98 said:
    Here is my PC: Pentium 4(C) Northwood 3.4 GHz HT, 800 MHz FSB, with 4 GB of PC3200 DDR Dual Channel @ 400 MHz, a Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 SATA2 HD (32 MB cache), and an eVGA 7800GS CO AGP 8X 256MB GDDR3 (core 430 MHz, memory at 1300 Mhz). Monitor is 22" HP flatscreen 1680x1050, DVD-D. I dual boot Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu 8.10 (with Compiz Fusion). 460W PSU.

Question: Would it really be worthwhile for me to "upgrade" to the 512MB ATI Radeon HD3850 AGP 8X vid card for around $159.00, since everything else is maxed out on this system? After all, I do have a small fortune invested in it, and just don't have the heart to abandon it quite yet. Plus, I don't have the $$$$ for a new system.

NewEgg has this card; the brand name is "HIS". The big benefits, as I see them, would be the 512 MB (as opposed to the 256MB that my current card has), plus the DirectX 10.1 support.

I would say yes, because you have the fastest CPU on the 478 platform (along side the 3.4Ghz Prescott HT). By the time you'll want to upgrade Nehalem will have a top-to-bottom line and you can skip S775 completely (just like me).
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Sapphire Radeon Graphics Product