E2180 with Freezer 7 Pro, unusually high temps?

trackman2010

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Hey there.

I recently got my hands on an M0 E2180, P35-DS3L and an AC Freezer 7 Pro cooler.
I noticed the temps were a bit high from what I've seen being reported by people with similar setups around the net.
Idle stock temps are in the mid 30's usually, load temps low-mid 50's.
So far I've overclocked the CPU to 2.8Ghz (stock voltage, BTW), idle core temps linger around high 30's low 40's and load temps are always around 58-60C. It seems unusually high to me considering most people are able to get to 3Ghz using the stock cooler!
I've tried overclocking to 3Ghz, and with a vcore of 1.4 in the BIOS (1.36v during load) the temps I got were in the mid 60's (63-65C), and it still wasn't stable, so I still have to increase the voltage some more for 3Ghz.

Now I checked the cooler again and again, pushed the pins as far as they'll go without breaking them or the motherboard (they all clicked), checked the pins from behind to make sure they're all in, and I'm pretty sure the cooler is mounted properly. It seems securely held in from what I can tell (although not as tight as I'd like it to be, don't know if that's the fault of the cooler, the mounting mechansim or just mine although I've checked and re-checked the pins several times now and they're all the way in as far as I can tell).

The case isn't the coolest, but even with the side off, it only drops 2-3C at the most off the core temps.

I've got a temp sensor from the case on the CPU and that reports a temp of 40C, as opposed to the 54-55C Tcase temps according to Speedfan.

Basically, what I want to know is, are these temps normal with this combo of CPU and cooler?
Could the DTS be reporting wrong temps here?
What's the temperature limit I should put for myself in this case?

I cannot purchase another cooler, or lap it or the CPU, so anything besides these suggestions is welcome.
Freezer 7 Pro has MX-2 thermal paste on, so please, no "put on some AS5" comments.

To make this easier on you guys to read I'll write down the list of temps here:

Ambient temp= 22-23C

Clock= 2.8Ghz Vcore=1.325 Idle Core Temps=40s Load=58-60C

Clock= 3.0Ghz Vcore=1.4Ghz (not stable) Idle=40s Load=63-65C

BTW, I've tried Realtemp, Speedfan and Coretemp and they all give exactly the same readings.
Also, I can't control the fans using Speedfan for some reason, even after disabling Smart Fan Control from the BIOS.

panicatak

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I've recently purchase an E2160 and an Asus P5k-VM with a Freezer 7.

Mine is clocked at 2.7 (300FSB) with no voltage adjustment. Mine is running at 29-32 at idle. Running in a ThermalRock Eclipse case

Are you sure that all 4 push pins have been fully connected correcly?

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
You can also set the fan at 100% to help out with heat (its not that loud in my opinion at 100% so don't worry, mine runs at this 24/7). Your computer case ventalation is also a pretty big factor too, especially if you have some other components in your case that is throwing at a lot of heat like some high end graphics cards, they may be preheating your processor if not adequately cooled. Just thought I throw that idea out since no one else mentioned it.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
The Arctic Freezer 7 Pro comes with paste pre-applied, correct? So the issue with too much or too little paste isn't the reason.

First off, it could very well be lack of contact area. You should re-seat the heatsink and see what happens. However, if you're certain it's fit in tightly, then perhaps the cpu IHS isn't flat, which can be checked with a razor blade.

Another suggestion: Try using the stock heatsink and see what happens. Perhaps the base of the AF7 isn't flat.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I had temp issues with my old 2160 after applying pressure to the HSF to check how warm it felt(I was replacing my 2900 Pro with my 8800), I don't know how normal that is.....but If you've been "handling" the AF7 making sure its securely mounted that could be your issue...

in that case, reapplying the TIM will be needed(and RadioShack sells AS5 for about the price of buying any other TIM online)

I ended up replacing my stock cooler with the AC F7 Pro(borked the install Temps hit 90c+, I went and got some AS5 @ RS)because the stock HSF went from 32c to 39-45 Idle and from 50-55 to high 60's to low 70's under load. Once i installed the Freezer 7(w/AS5) properly Temps were 30-33 Idle and 45-50 Load (@ 3.2ghz-1.5 vcore)

trackman2010

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Thanks for the replies! :)

I tried reseating the heatsink, and used some AS5 I had lying around, but still the same result. No change at all.
I made sure the cooler was held tightly in place, all the pins clicked and were pushed to the end. I made sure they were secured and pushed them more than a couple of times in the process, and as far as I could tell, they were.
I did "handle" the cooler a bit to make sure it was held in place, and it didn't budge.

I'm at a loss here. I have no idea... Now I'm second guessing myself, thinking I might have not checked it enough to make sure, or perhaps mounted it wrong... even though I did check and recheck again and again. :/

In any case, the PC isn't mine, and its owner requested it back, even though I told him about the problem, it seemed he didn't care much, so I can't do much more right now.
Well, as long as 60C load won't damage the CPU, I guess he won't care, and he's happy enough with 2.8Ghz.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
What was TjMax being reported as in those programs? IF its wrong it very well could be the problem.

And i can't believe my ADD ass didnt read your post more thoroughly, Depending on how sensitive the customer is to noise, Turning off SmartFan is good especially for Load temps.

About the Temps, even if Tjmax is right(good chance its off) 65 isn't necessarily bad, warm yes but bad only if your paranoid.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
To the OP: Where do you live? I don't mean specifically I just mean region wise. In the cooler months my CPU idles 25C and under load gets up to 40C (I have a E6600 non-overclocked by the way; stock cooler). In the summer, when I'm home from school my room is ridiculously warm and I usually idle at 45C idle/50+ under load.

I hope you can see where I am getting at here. =)

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I know exactly what your getting at, Winter time for me my 3110 runs 28-32c (Idle) 45max (Load). Summer lowest ive seen it so far is 33 and up to 39(idle)
Max load has been around 60+/- 2-3c(I'm paranoid)So i lowered my vcore to 1.12 @ running @ 2.8ghz
I have no AC currently so my Ambient is high.

Edit my vcore i had 1.15

trackman2010

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

TjMax was 85C according to Core Temp. M0 stepping CPU.

I see what you mean, but ambient temps were 22-23C as I've mentioned in my original post.

The question is how high?
I'm sure it's higher than my ambient temps.
I wouldn't imagine 23C (which would be considered relatively cool even) resulting in such high temps.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006

Heh, airflow isn't really a problem with my Antec 900, although since the processor is in the back and on top it gets hit with all the hot air (I think it would work a lot better as a BTX case but that's just me). Like I said before my room is ridiculously hot, even with the AC on. I have a whole wall practically just windows (I can close the curtains on some, but I have this half-moon thing and I don't have curtains there) and said wall is facing east, so I have the sun beating down in my room for half the day. It's not uncommon for it to be 85F-90F in here so with a case temp between 30-35C (86-95F) and a CPU temp at 45C/50C (113F/122F) I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

My room is what has bad airflow. :lol:

Anyway, trackman I missed your ambient temps in your OP so yeah, I'd say that is kinda high.

trackman2010

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

Already did. :)

BTW, just to be clear, I no longer have the PC with me as it was not mine in the first place.
Suggestions are still welcome, though.