Memory, OCZ or Corsair

omdemarseille

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Hi,

I'm after some memory. I've narrowed my choices down to the following:
- Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz PC2 6400 XMS2 Memory Non ECC Unbuffered CL5(5 5 5 12) - TWIN2X2048 6400
or
- OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz PC2 6400 CL 4 4 4 15 PLATINUM XTC - OCZ2P800R22GK

Both are exactly the same cost. I'm wondering what would be the best in terms of performance and reliability. I've used Corsair before with no problems but i've not really heard of OCZ. Are they any good as a brand, reliable/good warranty? I don't really game or OC. I've read on this site that the performance benefits of faster timings for everyday tasks is next to neglectable, therefore i'm tending towards the Corsair (i also use Crucial but they are significantly more expensive for the above specs, even their value RAM). What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input!

Tsukasa

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
OCZ has a lifetime warranty in case your RAM fails or doesn't live up to spec. If it beats the Corsair warranty then go for it, otherwise I don't really see any noticeable difference if the price is the same.

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Corsair is lifetime plus it has forums for help, and ramguy is there to help with problems. For that reason I go corair. To be able to talk to a tech and GET a response in a day is key to me.

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Corsair is awesome to deal with and their Ram is very good quality.

If I could offer a choice outside of that, i would say to go with crucial since they are where all the other guys get their chips, unless they are assembling cheapo chips.

I have one machine running crucial ballistix tracer dimms and they come with micron chips and for being pc6400 cl4 and clocking up to 1066+ they are the way to go IMO.

There is VERY little difference between cl4 and cl5 that anyonw would ever notice. this is also not to mention how if you are going to overclock you are not going to be able to retain the cl4 latency at a decent speed anyway. bandwidth owns latency.

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
OCZ for sure, it has better timings.
Only reason you would need a help forum or a tech for memory is if your a noob and dont know what your doing.
All memory manufacturers have lifetime warranties.
However you cant beat this price, and even better timings.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5470099?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Um NO. Your missing My point.....for instance the fact I tried to get RMA from Rosewill never got a reply even after 4 or 5 emails. Asked Kingston once what ALL the ram timings for my ram where at what voltage- the gave me the 4 timings with volts I asked about the other 10 or so timings ram needs set they never replied!!!!! With ramguy you tell him its not working, he says try this and if it fails RMA it. THAT IS PRICELESS to me. I instant response. Im far far from a noob and I still think the forum is key to giving real tech support to the customer. They all should have one with a dedicated tech like corsair.

sailer

Splendid
I've mainly used Corsair, but I had a mobo a while back that wouldn't work with Corsair no matter what I tried. I put in a set from OCZ and that worked perfectly. I'd feel comfortable with either brand.