HTPC - Video Card - For Projector viewing

narwee

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Hi, I am building a HT PC using a NVIDIA 7600 (512Mb) card, a Gigabyte MoBo with DVI/SPIF output, 1Gb RAM, 800Gb HDD, Gigabit LAN and using DVD X Pro to read DVD (discs and ISO images). All's connected via DVI & SPIF to a Denon HDMI port (Denon 4306) to be switched to a ceiling mounted projector (Mitsubishi HC 5000).

Problem: the contrast & colour are poor - even with the original disc in the PC. No difference with the ISO images (Accessible from server via CAT 6 cabling). About 50% as sharp & bright as with a dedicated DVD player (Denon 1920).

Questions: can this be rectified using a NVIDIA 8800GT card (supposedly the best for HD / Blu Ray viewing)? Should I consider 2x 7600 cards using SLI route? or Am I heading down the wrong track? What should I be doing?

The films look great on a 22" LCD screen. It could be that the screen is too large (96").

Any sage advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Pham

TimBog

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
With such little info as to your complete OS and video software configuration it can be difficult to give a very good answer as to what benefit upgradeing your video card would give. My first guess would be that the problem is actually in software.
First guess, DVD decoder, i.e. PowerDVD is not set as default decoder. There is a software program from Microsoft that will allow you to choose the "preferred decoder" .

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=en

I would try this first because unless you are planning on playing HD or BLUray the video card you have is WAY more than enough.

Good luck

narwee

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Thanks,

I use XP Pro and DVD X Pro to process the DVD (discs and ISO images).

My objective is to project the DVD ISO image (stored on server - for space & access purposes) onto the 96" screen using the DVD X Pro.

As mentioned, the image seen on a LCD screen (up to 22") is perfect.

The problem is when the same image is projected onto the wide screen. My guess is that there is some problem between 22" and 96".

Many thanks, Pham

goodie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
what resolution are you playing back through projector, dont forget DVD is only 720x576 (PAL) 720x480 (NTSC).
on a screen that size you should be playing HD 720p or 1080p