need help! weird problem

redsox

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
hi i just put my new pc together consisting of a new 160gb sata, gigabyte p35, e6750. 4gb ddr2 800. and a evga 8800gt. i hooked everything up without a hitch i thought and i was successfully able to install vista but now i start up my pc and though i can see it boot up vista it becomes a black screen after im in on my lcd and on my crt the screen starts flickering and readjusting? But when i manually shut my pc down while its doing that the screen becomes normal again and i can see the boot down? please help thanks

redsox

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
yes ive only tried 1 screen. i only tried my lcd because my crt wasnt working so i figured out that the problem wasnt with the screen. so its something with the pc.

redsox

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
i can get it into safe mode. my refresh rate cant be changed though. its set at like default settings and i cant change it.

redsox

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
i installed the drivers from the disk the card came from which didnt work so i tried to download the newest ones from the web with safemode+networking but im unable to install them? vista wont let me it says unable to locate folders or something i think it has to do with safe mode restrictions? also i havent been able to install my mobo drivers because its not working from the disk in safe mode? i also tried my old 7600gt and switching the memory slots to 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3. all has not worked. im so frustrated ha :/

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Maybe pop back into safe mode, and get into your video card drivers, see if it will let you install a generic vga driver just so you can get into windows, screen might look kinda bad, then download and install nvidia drivers from nvidia, or get newer ones via windows update.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Just thinking another option might be to do this....On vista for me, it detects my 7300 just fine, and loads it's own drivers. So maybe do this way. Load up the 7600 gt, boot from cd, and let vista install all drivers itself. After you get it up and running, download nvidia drivers from nvidia's website, uninstall the 7600 gt in device manager, power down, take the card out, and install your newer card, reboot, let vista detect it. DO NOT install the drivers from that cd, but maybe chuck that cd in the garbage....lol. Anyway, let vista pick up the new card itself as best it can, then install the nvidia drivers, perform all updates, etc...hopefully your system will run fine.

Also, why do you have memory in slots 2 & 4 or 1 & 3? Why not side by side in 1 & 2?

TRENDING THREADS