Costco Pioneer PDP-4312HD information LONG

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 5, 2005 6:12:45 AM

I ended up purchasing the Costco Pioneer PDP-4312HD for $3000, and I wanted
to pass on some of my research. I read reviews on the web, and I found that
Panasonics and Pioneers were the best rated plasma TVS. Based on my budget
and what I could find locally, I chose the Costco Pioneer.

Picture is spectacular with Directv HD Discovery channel. I feel like I am
looking at a high resolution photograph that is the size of the 43" TV
screen. Amazing is just not enough to describe the quality of the picture. I
have bad eyes (down to the big E on the eye chart in one eye), and I can
only describe high definition tv as watching tv with glasses where
everything is crystal clear. Normal tv is like watching tv without glasses,
blurry and no detail.

On the bad side of the 4312, dark movies are not so good as all of the
black and near black tend to blend together as in one of the Matrix movies
in high definition. (Note, I might be able to tweak settings more.) I do
note that people's faces tend to be on the red side on standard tv 480i, but
the red face is not a problem in high definition. I might get a pro out to
tweak the tv. But again, the high definition is just amazing.

The 4312 does not have a tuner, but I purchased a Directv HD Receiver (RCA)
which does both Directv HD and antenna local HD stations for $300. The 4312
converts everything 480i/p,1080i,720p to 768p. You can also hook up a
computer to the 4312 (I have not done so.) You can get the 4312 on the web
cheaper than at Costco, but you would have to pay shipping and Costco's
return policy is generous.

Costco webpage
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=110337...
t=3314&hierPath=79*3314*

Costco Pioneer model PDP-4312HD. Spoke with Pioneer service rep to confirm
previous findings that the Costco model is related to the industrial model-
PDP-434CMX. Again, the customer rep confirmed that the Costco model is based
on the PDP-434CMX. Pushing the rep harder, he confirmed that it is the
PDP-434CMX but with a different feature set of bells and whistles. I can
hook the Costco model up to a Directv receiver, VCR or a compputer. I
confirmed that the Costco model has an HDMI input and will display
copyrighted material. (The PDP-434CMX manual mentioned a DVI connection
which would not support displaying copyrighted material, so I wanted to be
sure about the HDMI input.).

Took me a long time to find the pioneer web site for this model.
You can check pioneer website for more information on the PDP-434CMX
http://www.pioneerindustrialav.com/ims/product/manuals/...
3,00.html.

The manual from Costco is similar but not exactly the same as the pioneer
PDP-434CMX users Manual.pd. (You can download the manual from the
www.pioneerindustrialav.com web site). The PDP-434CMX users Manual will
give you an idea of the Costco's 4312 functionality (similar but not the
same as the Costco version). And the remotes for the Costco and the remote
pictured in the PDP-434CMX manual appear to be the same. The inputs/outputs
on the monitor are the ones listed on the Costco website. You get a table
top stand and speakers with the Costco unit.

There was some talk about Costco selling old previous model year, so I
checked that out.
The Costco model is the current model year (confirmed with customer rep.)
The PDP-434CMX debuted in June 2004. Press release link -
http://www.pioneerindustrialav.com/ims/press/releases/0...
_103812981,00.html

The avsforum has an official thread: The Official "PIO 4312/4304" Thread!!!
for tons of information on tweaking etc.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=521385&...
tco+4304

Oh I had to break the big box from Costco open at the store to get the
smaller boxes out so that I could fit it in my Ford Explorer. Otherwise to
move the original big box, you need a pickup. From what I have read, don't
lay the box down for transport or you can end up with a lot of broken glass.

noone
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:46:41 AM

As with any plasma, do not transport laying flat. The glass panel will flex,
either fracturing, or stressing the inter-cell seals, producing unwanted
problems in the future. On inspection for service, if these problems are
indicated, the warrenty coverage may be in question.
"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> There was some talk about Costco selling old previous model year, so I
> checked that out.
> The Costco model is the current model year (confirmed with customer rep.)
> The PDP-434CMX debuted in June 2004. Press release link -
> http://www.pioneerindustrialav.com/ims/press/releases/0...
> _103812981,00.html
>
> The avsforum has an official thread: The Official "PIO 4312/4304"
> Thread!!!
> for tons of information on tweaking etc.
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=521385&...
> tco+4304
>
> Oh I had to break the big box from Costco open at the store to get the
> smaller boxes out so that I could fit it in my Ford Explorer. Otherwise to
> move the original big box, you need a pickup. From what I have read, don't
> lay the box down for transport or you can end up with a lot of broken

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:15:29 AM

I bought the 4314 from Costco a couple of months ago. Mine came with
tuner, stand and speakers. LOVE IT! I paid $2,999.00. But the
original box is a bitch. It barely made it into the back of my KIA.
I"m connected to Time warner HDTV cable.

!