Disk drive problem

July 23, 2005 2:28:01 PM

Cann't open floppy disk drive. Windows XP.
The button on the hardrive will not open the floppy disk drive on my machine.

More about : disk drive problem

July 23, 2005 4:13:06 PM

Hardrives do not have buttons. There should be a button on the front
of the floppy drive which you can push in to release the floppy disk.
--
Some days you''re the windshield.
Some days you''re the bug.

"mglady" wrote:

> Cann't open floppy disk drive. Windows XP.
> The button on the hardrive will not open the floppy disk drive on my machine.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:20:29 PM

mglady wrote:

> Cann't open floppy disk drive. Windows XP.
> The button on the hardrive will not open the floppy disk drive on my machine.

Typical PC 3 1/2 drive ejection is entirely mechanical. Failure to eject
a floppy would indicate a problem with that mechanism, or more lokely
the metal shutter on the floppy itself. If the shutter is spread open it
can snag on the interior of the drive. Clearing the problem would
require CAREFULL manipulation of the shutter with a thin object. the
only time I have seen this problem was over 15 years ago with an
external Apple IIgs/MacIntosh compatable drive (similar except for the
elecrical eject mechanism).

The shutter on a 3 1/2 is not AT ALL necessary for operation. If you
MUST use a floppy with a distorted shutter, remove the shutter from the
disk instead of risking the disk getting jammed in the drive.

Most optical drives have a mechanical eject mechanisim that can be
operated with a straightened out paper clip (the bent wire type). You
may have to pull open a door concealing the media drawer and use guides
on the interior surface of the door to align your paper clip with the
manual eject hole. Make SURE you press the paper clip through the hole
perpendicular to the face of the drive. Some Apple floppy drives had a
similar manual eject.

I don't understand why you think a button "on the hardrive" would have
anything to do with your floppy drive. None of my hard drives have
buttons on them, as they are inaccessable within the computer case anyway.
Related resources
July 24, 2005 12:54:24 PM

Buy/install a new floppy drive

"mglady" <mglady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cann't open floppy disk drive. Windows XP.
> The button on the hardrive will not open the floppy disk drive on my
machine.
July 24, 2005 1:29:16 PM

"RobertVA" <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> wrote in message
news:o iZx1M7jFHA.3580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I don't understand why you think a button "on the hardrive" would have
> anything to do with your floppy drive. None of my hard drives have buttons
> on them, as they are inaccessable within the computer case anyway.

Quite a few people use wrong / strange terminology when they talk about
computers,
calling computer case 'harddrive' and monitor 'computer' for example.
In this instance, OP was referring to her computer case, I'd think.
!