How to take permission of XP files on a vista os?

lukes

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Hi guys,

A mate at work has asked me to have a look at hard drive from his family pc, basically some cowboy had come over to look at some problem they were having and told them a load of lies. He explained that their hard drive was done and they would need a new one, and to recover the files would cost a large amount of money. So he asked me to have a look at it as he didn't trust them. Turns out the hard drive is fine, but he has just bought a new pc due to the whole thing(not from him thankfully).

I'm trying to move the files from the old hard drive to his new machine(running vista), my problem is that all the files are protected with rights and I can't seem to over write the rights for most of the files. I've done something similar to this from and xp machine to xp machine and it worked fine so i tested it and it worked in mins.

Anyone know of any programs or ways of taking full control of a hard drive with vista? Rather than doing one file at a time.

My Conclusion of the story :- Don't trust dodgy con men and don't buy vista. ^_^