Your question

[HELP] The computer does not post

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Light
  • Computer
Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2008 4:16:34 AM

I have problem with my computer after half year. When I turn it on, from outlook everything work well like fans, light.... But mostly it does not post anything on the monitor. It always says "No signal".

However sometimes when I turn on it works normally. I notice it only works incase the HDD light is on during booting process.

I tried to test my drive in anther computer and it is fine.

So what's wrong in my hardware components?

More about : computer post

January 9, 2008 4:33:22 AM

Make sure it is securely plugged in. Once it's securely plugged in...YEEEHAW! It should now "post", as you say.

Good Luck
January 9, 2008 4:49:31 AM

Of course I am very sure I checked all cables plugged in securely.
Related resources
January 9, 2008 5:32:10 AM

Ashikaa said:
Of course I am very sure I checked all cables plugged in securely.

Try to test all your components on a different computer. My guess is that the mobo could have a problem or the power source.
January 9, 2008 5:51:08 AM

Possibly your power supply starting to pack up. What is the specification on it?
January 9, 2008 6:27:33 AM

alexia_net said:
Try to test all your components on a different computer. My guess is that the mobo could have a problem or the power source.

I would but I will do later when I can not find out the reason.

cfvh600 said:
Possibly your power supply starting to pack up. What is the specification on it?

Here are the links for PSU spec

http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idprodu...

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/19232/

http://www.keytech.com.au/product.cfm/productid_226/ven...
January 9, 2008 7:10:08 AM

What you are saying is that your computer can not always pass POST.
Post (power on self test) tests motherboard, and short ccts, cpu, ram present, then gfx before you get a splash screen on the monitor
First question is, does your mobo bios support the cpu?
If it does, check again to make sure you heatsink is well secured, and that your gfx card and ram are fully inserted.
If all that is good, you probably have a short circuit. That can be a lot harder to find.
Start by looking for foreign objects and loose screws. While you are at it, give everything a good visual inspection. Sometimes you can see something is wrong, even if you dont know what you are looking at.
A place to give special attention is those cylinders around you chip. They are capacitors. If the top is not flat, even a little bulge, or if they are leaking at all, that's your problem.
If you still haven't found the problem, it's time to start removing things.
Add on cards, other than the gfx is a good place to start.
Leave gfx card, one stick of ram, cpu and heat sink, and keyboard till the end.
Good luck.
The best place to start is by checking that the gfx card and ram are well seated.
January 9, 2008 8:05:49 AM

you say that you're not getting anything to display to the monitor? did you check the cable to the video card?

When you first start up the PC do you hear beeps? If you do I would suggest using a different monitor if you have one available after checking the the cables on the monitor and at the video card. If you don't find anything wrong with the cabling, testing with a known working monitor would be the next step. That is if you hear the beeps of the motherboard during boot up.

If you don't here the beeps / don't have any diagnositic codes on your mobo then the trouble shooting may become a bit more complex.

Based on what you have said it sounds like the monitor is having a signal related problem, which is either a bad cable, connector, video card or possibly something interior to the monitor.

You do have all your system components plugged into a surge protector right?
January 9, 2008 11:14:59 AM

Try disconnecting as much as poss and see if starts OK. Most likely is intermittant motherboard problem or failing PSU. PSU can have problem starting, but be fine after initial power up. If you get beep for POST OK, but no signal, is monitor, cable problem ( or video card)

Mike.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 11:53:47 AM

Remove the battery for 30 secs and clear the bios by shorting the jumpers.
!