Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which after market cooler?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share

Which after market cooler is best?

Total: 9 votes (3 blank votes)

  • Themaltake Duorb
  • 0 %
  • Thermalright HR-03 GT
  • 50 %
  • Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 + Turbo module
  • 50 %
January 5, 2008 4:38:07 AM

I am seeing so many different answers, I don't know which one to choose. This will be going on an 8800GT, used for medium over clocking.

More about : market cooler

Related resources
January 5, 2008 9:40:02 AM

Even at low speed (the fan) it's silent therefore, and still easily beats all the others.. Notice how it fails miserably when used passively though.
Ryan
January 5, 2008 9:47:48 AM

Almost every night my pictures go blank about the same time, whats up with that? I just looked at my settings for automatic updates for Windows and its supposed to look for updates everyday at 3am, does that have anything to do with my pics not showing up?
January 5, 2008 2:21:03 PM

I noticed you guys recommend the HR-03 plus for the 8800GT. I have a 8800GT in which I'm looking for some extra cooling. I bought the HR-03 plus, but after some reading in Thermalrights web site it says that the HR-03 plus will not work on a 8800gt and that I need the HR-03 gt cooler. I have seen people put a VF900 zalman cooler on there 8800 gt which its really not made for. My question is will the HR-03 plus fit my 8800gt? Is it that just the ram sinks are different or don't have enough of them or is the mounting holes different? Is there little modifacations that need to be done to fit and work PROPERLY? I'd hate to take apart card and find out it's not going to work. I normaly would just RMA this one but newegg dosen't offer a HR-03 gt as of yet. Any help would be great,thanks in advance. Newegg gets 2 eggs for not letting one know that HR-03 fits all 8800 series card EXCEPT the G92 8800 cards and not stocking the one that does!
January 5, 2008 3:02:31 PM

systemlord said:
Almost every night my pictures go blank about the same time, whats up with that? I just looked at my settings for automatic updates for Windows and its supposed to look for updates everyday at 3am, does that have anything to do with my pics not showing up?


It very well could. Microsoft has been getting more and more invasive and has been using its updates to check not only for piracy, but for anything that it considers illegal or unwanted. So it might well blank out your pictures while it examines them, all in the name of "Security". That said, I can't say for sure that this is the problem.
January 5, 2008 4:47:53 PM

On directcanada.com it says it does not come with a fan, is there a special one I need with it, or a recommended one, from that site?
January 5, 2008 5:07:47 PM

92mm fan, I would opt for one with a speed selector. Make sure you order a HR-03 GT for the G92 8800 series cards(8800GT & 8800GTS 512 version)
January 5, 2008 6:04:54 PM

peterock73 said:
I noticed you guys recommend the HR-03 plus for the 8800GT. I have a 8800GT in which I'm looking for some extra cooling. I bought the HR-03 plus, but after some reading in Thermalrights web site it says that the HR-03 plus will not work on a 8800gt and that I need the HR-03 gt cooler. I have seen people put a VF900 zalman cooler on there 8800 gt which its really not made for. My question is will the HR-03 plus fit my 8800gt? Is it that just the ram sinks are different or don't have enough of them or is the mounting holes different? Is there little modifacations that need to be done to fit and work PROPERLY? I'd hate to take apart card and find out it's not going to work. I normaly would just RMA this one but newegg dosen't offer a HR-03 gt as of yet. Any help would be great,thanks in advance. Newegg gets 2 eggs for not letting one know that HR-03 fits all 8800 series card EXCEPT the G92 8800 cards and not stocking the one that does!

"My question is will the HR-03 plus fit my 8800gt?"
It may (with mod.) but the HR-03GT is made for the 8800GT.

"I have seen people put a VF900 zalman cooler on there 8800 gt which its really not made for."
Incorrect (partially)
The VF900 has been out for a couple of years, and is compatable with the 7900 series cards. Mounting holes are identical on the 8800GT.

Everyone is missing the point of this poll. The OP states HR-03 without the fan. This would be suicide.
Take note of this chart at the very bottom (last entry).
The HR-03 passive performs worse than the stock coooler on low.
Overclocked it failed.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMywx...
Use a 92mm fan with it.



January 5, 2008 6:16:43 PM

Ok I added the fan HR-03 in the poll. I don't know guys, this seems awfully expensive, compared to the DuOrd which is basically just as good...
January 5, 2008 7:57:32 PM

The HR-03 AND HR-03GT are basically the same thing, same cost.
The only added expense is a 92mm fan, which is not much considering the $50+ price to begin with. It was still $50+ to begin with so what is the reason for your poll?
The best option usually costs the most.
Why don't you just get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
already o'cd and with a Zalman cooler on it already
January 5, 2008 8:20:00 PM

That seems really nice, how does the lack of mem sinks effect its overall temperature?
January 5, 2008 8:46:42 PM

I kind of figured it MAY fit (kpo6969) I'm looking for some one that KNOWS if it will. Do I have to enlarge the holes in the board,etc,etc. As my best guess I think it will fit just unsure on the sinks.I see the HR-03plus kit comes with smaller(short or not as long) sinks but enough to cover each ram as to the HR-03gt comes with longer ones that cover two rams with one sink. Has anyone installed a HR-03 plus on a 8800GT board??
January 5, 2008 8:47:42 PM

I don't see why they didn't just put those on the card int he first place >_<
January 5, 2008 9:33:01 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a review for this Gigabyte 8800GT?
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2008 9:50:32 PM

systemlord said:
Almost every night my pictures go blank about the same time, whats up with that? I just looked at my settings for automatic updates for Windows and its supposed to look for updates everyday at 3am, does that have anything to do with my pics not showing up?


:lol:  Run Linux ;) 
January 5, 2008 10:15:24 PM

APIOQM said:
I don't see why they didn't just put those on the card int he first place >_<

The Gigabyte is a non-reference board.
compare:
Gigabyte



Nvidia Reference



VF900 w/ramsinks and mosfet sinks

January 6, 2008 8:27:08 AM

peterock73 said:
I bought the HR-03 plus, but after some reading in Thermalrights web site it says that the HR-03 plus will not work on a 8800gt and that I need the HR-03 gt cooler. My question is will the HR-03 plus fit my 8800gt?


You would have to ask Thermalright, but you seem to have found the anser yourself. There are only two Thermalright GPU coolers that I know of one for the 8800 series and one for the ATI 3800 series.
!