DS3L ready for E8400 CPU?

bottomrungho

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Is the GA-P35-DS3L Mobo ready to run the new E8400 CPU or will I have to flash the BIOS? If so, will I have to use a 65nm chip to flash then install the 45nm chip?

Yes the E8xxx will work right out of the box, but BIOS updating is recommended. See:
Finally got my E8400 and DS3L up n running! But something is wrong!!!! I did not need to flash the bios at all! I thought it would have to be Qflashed.... I have the drivers to do so, but perhaps I should leave it as it is (if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?)
I got a rev 2 of the DS3L (basically just more USB's).

I have been unable to find my bios version yet, as I've been too busy to look into it (lol where can you find the bios version? in the bios, I looked everywhere in there? The post screen says it right? But it flashes by so fast I can't see it!). But yeah I didn't need to update the bios, as windows listed it correctly (and everything seems in good working order)

Amazingly I am able to play Crysis wonderfully on vista ultimate 32bit with my rig (like a dream!)! My PC also gives Oblivion a run for it's money (totally maxed and still smooth). I have no doubt the 8800GTS and E84 are working properly.
I'll try for a stable 4ghz OC using the stock HSF next week, and take my BFG 8800GTS (g92) up a bit as well.... Then perhaps I can get the shaders on very high in Crysis, and have everything topped off to very high (just no AA lol). Never thought this PC would have everything at very high and be playable, especially with this lousy OS.

Pretty happy with the E84 so far, and loving the ease of use and great features of the DS3L (great audio and sound controls wow!-throwing my Audigy gamer card in the trash). A very significant upgrade from my old AMD 64 3200XP chip (single core), Generic as hell PC-Chips mobo, 1gb DDR400, 6600GT *agp*, which had to play Oblivion and Crysis in lowest settings (and still have low FPS) =)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=247783&page=2&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
I just got the the p35 ds3r 2.1 rev. It support the e8400 out of box because it had F7 bios (which is the bios for e8xxx support, checked on giga website). Even if it is a lower bios version, I believe (what i have read on other forums) that it would work but just be unrecognized or something.

EDIT:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2629

hmm, i guess the P35 ds3L bios versions are different. I wonder why the p35 ds3l has a beta bios, F8a, for penryn support. Why not contact them and see what they say,

nforce256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I have Rev 2.0. According to Gigabyte's website, there only are 2.0 and 1.0. There is no 2.1, windie.

Yes, the system will boot up with your e8400. I don't understand how anyone got XP or Vista installed however. My system booted up with the stock bios, however, Windows setup would not load until I updated the BIOS first.

iancarnage

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

You WILL need to flash BIOS. It will run it out of box UNDERCLOCKED. You will be able to run it to fix it though....