More Than 3gigs On XP Pro 32bit?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
no

no

no

I hope this is a joke. If you are serious: no, you can't. If you want a real explanation, use the search function. Didn't want to be mean but this is covered weekly

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

No not really.

It's an issue dealing with 32-bit address space and effects all IA-32 systems.

The system can only address 4 GB of allocated memory. Allocated memory is made up of physical RAM, and any I/O space needed by devices. The way memory is allocated is that starting at 4 GB, the system allocates device I/O addresses working its way down, but when systems have 4 GB of physical memory, the addresses needed to address RAM overlap the space needed for I/O. In this case, the need for I/O space takes precedence, and the amount of RAM visible to the operating system and applications is limited to 4 GB minus I/O space.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
No.

Depending on your Hardware (Chipset, Motherboard, Video Card, etc) there will be some variation in the max.

3.2Gb to 3.5Gb is common with some slightly more or less.

There is very little you can do to change what is seen.
In general NVIDIA Chipsets can access less than Intel Chipsets.
My guess that is gue to the SLI support, but I'm not sure.

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007

Didn't we just have this discussion in another thread? :sarcastic:

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006

I would but I have no idea what I'd search for, it's a question that could be asked in many ways so it's easier just to post a thread. So sorry to bother you in a forum that's all about helping people with their computer questions.

Thx for the help from all the rest of you.