Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Distracting Horizontal Bars on Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:27:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I see slow rolling (5-8 seconds) horizontal bars - that move from bottom to
top and are probably 5 inches wide - they are just a shadow type bar that
throws the color a little. They are most prevalent watching TV, but they
exist during DVDs. The connection is CATV to Sony Digital Receiver to
monitor (via good component cable). Not a huge problem, but after spending
a lot of $$, you expect a nearly perfect picture...maybe my expectations are
too high? Any thoughts??

Rick
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:10:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Rick and Stoya wrote:
> I see slow rolling (5-8 seconds) horizontal bars - that move from bottom to
> top and are probably 5 inches wide - they are just a shadow type bar that
> throws the color a little. They are most prevalent watching TV, but they
> exist during DVDs. The connection is CATV to Sony Digital Receiver to
> monitor (via good component cable). Not a huge problem, but after spending
> a lot of $$, you expect a nearly perfect picture...maybe my expectations are
> too high? Any thoughts??
>
> Rick

You have a ground loop problem. Rolling shaded bars are the classic
sign of a ground loop. Your TV & AV gear are likely not on the same
ground level as the input cable line. The cable line is likely floating
to a different ground. But this is not hard to fix.

I had the same problem on my Panasonic plasma, BTW. I fixed my case by
running the cable signal through the RF connectors on my surge protector
as my surge protector had them. That grounded the RF line to the common
ground. You could also ask your cable company to fix their lack of a
proper ground for the cable line running into your house, but you are
likely to get a "huh?" when you talk to the Customer Service Rep about
ground loops.

Alan F
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:42:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Agreed: Disconnect all devices, hook them up one at a time, determine what
combination of interconnect is inducing the noise bars. Address the
connections in a logical manner, trying to determine just where the
inteference is being generated and what, including ferrite cores, etc are
required to eliminate it. Try connecting each item independently, to the
component and composite inputs. Alan give you an excellent suggestion.
Cheers
"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:_fydnQYLmeJH8D_fRVn-hw@comcast.com...
> Rick and Stoya wrote:
>> I see slow rolling (5-8 seconds) horizontal bars - that move from bottom
>> to
>> top and are probably 5 inches wide - they are just a shadow type bar that
>> throws the color a little. They are most prevalent watching TV, but they
>> exist during DVDs. The connection is CATV to Sony Digital Receiver to
>> monitor (via good component cable). Not a huge problem, but after
>> spending
>> a lot of $$, you expect a nearly perfect picture...maybe my expectations
>> are
>> too high? Any thoughts??
>>
>> Rick
>
> You have a ground loop problem. Rolling shaded bars are the classic sign
> of a ground loop. Your TV & AV gear are likely not on the same ground
> level as the input cable line. The cable line is likely floating to a
> different ground. But this is not hard to fix.
>
> I had the same problem on my Panasonic plasma, BTW. I fixed my case by
> running the cable signal through the RF connectors on my surge protector
> as my surge protector had them. That grounded the RF line to the common
> ground. You could also ask your cable company to fix their lack of a
> proper ground for the cable line running into your house, but you are
> likely to get a "huh?" when you talk to the Customer Service Rep about
> ground loops.
>
> Alan F
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:19:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I have noticed this same effect on my Samsung 42" Rear Projector HDTV,
although it is only noticeable when a black or very dark screen is shown
during DVD playback.

Really doesn't bother me too much though.


"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:j9idnY502a7eeD_fRVn-rA@comcast.com...
> Agreed: Disconnect all devices, hook them up one at a time, determine what
> combination of interconnect is inducing the noise bars. Address the
> connections in a logical manner, trying to determine just where the
> inteference is being generated and what, including ferrite cores, etc are
> required to eliminate it. Try connecting each item independently, to the
> component and composite inputs. Alan give you an excellent suggestion.
> Cheers
> "Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:_fydnQYLmeJH8D_fRVn-hw@comcast.com...
>> Rick and Stoya wrote:
>>> I see slow rolling (5-8 seconds) horizontal bars - that move from bottom
>>> to
>>> top and are probably 5 inches wide - they are just a shadow type bar
>>> that
>>> throws the color a little. They are most prevalent watching TV, but
>>> they
>>> exist during DVDs. The connection is CATV to Sony Digital Receiver to
>>> monitor (via good component cable). Not a huge problem, but after
>>> spending
>>> a lot of $$, you expect a nearly perfect picture...maybe my expectations
>>> are
>>> too high? Any thoughts??
>>>
>>> Rick
>>
>> You have a ground loop problem. Rolling shaded bars are the classic sign
>> of a ground loop. Your TV & AV gear are likely not on the same ground
>> level as the input cable line. The cable line is likely floating to a
>> different ground. But this is not hard to fix.
>>
>> I had the same problem on my Panasonic plasma, BTW. I fixed my case by
>> running the cable signal through the RF connectors on my surge protector
>> as my surge protector had them. That grounded the RF line to the common
>> ground. You could also ask your cable company to fix their lack of a
>> proper ground for the cable line running into your house, but you are
>> likely to get a "huh?" when you talk to the Customer Service Rep about
>> ground loops.
>>
>> Alan F
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:22:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hi, I just went to Brandsmart and saw two plasma sets and would like
your opinion. Both were 44 inches and the Samsung was $2199 which was
400 less than the Panasosnic. Opinions??
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:25:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Check the respective service related problems of both manufacturers, and the
way each company handles customer related complaints. Panasonic seems to be
a much more consumer friendly should problems arise. IMHO they generally
produce more reliable items.
<nobody234@hotmail.net> wrote in message
news:7f0ai1p4po6ti0oodfemg7vd5j78egs11s@4ax.com...
> Hi, I just went to Brandsmart and saw two plasma sets and would like
> your opinion. Both were 44 inches and the Samsung was $2199 which was
> 400 less than the Panasosnic. Opinions??
!