New m/b - old RAM (bus speed)?

Will DDR SDRAM at 133mhz work in a m/b with bus speed 200mhz ?

There's 2 conflicting opinions I've heard -
1/ the system will be slowed to 133mhz, otherwise work perfectly
2/ The result will be constant BSOD's

Anyone had practical experience, please?

Yabbadoo wrote:
> Will DDR SDRAM at 133mhz work in a m/b with bus speed 200mhz ?
>
> There's 2 conflicting opinions I've heard -
> 1/ the system will be slowed to 133mhz, otherwise work perfectly
> 2/ The result will be constant BSOD's
>
> Anyone had practical experience, please?

It depends *entirely* upon the capabilities/features of the specific
motherboard involved. Some motherboards support the mixing of RAM
speeds, and some don't. Consult the motherboard's manufacturer for a
definitive answer in your specific case.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Your chipset might (or might not!) allow RAM bus to run at a different
speed from the processor bus.
Check your BIOS setting for appropiate bus syncronization feaures - Enable
timing by SDP, or such.
More hints here: http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030701/index.html
or google for more.
Michael

"Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
> Will DDR SDRAM at 133mhz work in a m/b with bus speed 200mhz ?
>
> There's 2 conflicting opinions I've heard -
> 1/ the system will be slowed to 133mhz, otherwise work perfectly
> 2/ The result will be constant BSOD's
>
> Anyone had practical experience, please?

My main computer (A7N8X Deluxe ver 2.0) has a 400 mhz bus. My CPU is an
Athlon XP 3200+ (runs at 400 mhz). I have installed 1.5 gig of PC2100
(133/266 speed) RAM. My FSB speed, at the present is 401 mhz as per Everest
HOME Edition.

I have done this because the 512 meg of PC3200 RAM I was using was not
enough for my video editing and, especially, my heavy usage of VirtualPC.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
> Will DDR SDRAM at 133mhz work in a m/b with bus speed 200mhz ?
>
> There's 2 conflicting opinions I've heard -
> 1/ the system will be slowed to 133mhz, otherwise work perfectly
> 2/ The result will be constant BSOD's
>
> Anyone had practical experience, please?

Thanks folks - advice appreciated. Will research further.