jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I just rebuilt my brother's computer. Among his "old" hardware was an AGEIA 128 mb PhysX card. In his new rig, there is absolutely no room for it, as he's running an 8800GT and two slot fans in a micro ATX. I'm about to do a build myself, in a full size Antec 900, and should have plently of room for it. I know it will just sit around otherwise, and we'll get pennies for it on ebay.

So, should I install this in my new machine? I'm assuming it can't hurt (but maybe it might?). He bought this card with his machine in the Summer of '06, so it's about a year and a half old. Has the AGEIA changed in that time?

If you were in my position, would you install the card, or just try to pawn it on ebay for whatever we can get?

neisonator

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I would try it with and without the card do 3dmarks and game benchmarks and see it it helps i think only a few games support the physics rendering the card provides. if the is no real performance increase flog it off.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
It can hurt performance as shown with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. It can benefit performance too though, as seen in UT3. I´d plug it in and try it. You should read up on it though. There are some articles on Anandtech about that card as well as on other hardware sites.