Intel Grinds all progress to a halt - C1E

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006

You know a C2Q 3.2ghz is already fast enough

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I for one hope the industry does slow down and let developers catch up a bit.

I don't use more than 40% of my quad core when gaming right now..

Let the GPU segment catch up again.

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

lol

AMD is so far behind that Intel stops because they arent even in the same ballpark.

Yah...AMD4Life :D

Personally...I cant wait for the E8400 45nm...I will probably be upgrading my E6700 right off the bat if it isnt too expensive.

Sad that its twice the processor of an AMD that costs twice as much :lol:

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

Very true.

Once the fanbois finish their refreshing glass of Cool-aid.... this is why we need an AMD. I wonder where we would be if there wasn't competition in the market (and yes I think that AMD would do the same thing).

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
So what's the big deal? ALL of the car companies are doing this... we could have hydrogen cars but we don't, we could have had them 20 years ago, but we don't. all about dough. and intel is happy milking every dime out of you that they can, that's why they release a new proc every 10 minutes whenever they're under heavy competition from amd, but when they get ahead, just sit back and let the dough roll in (on the manufacturing end anyway). This will give AMD time to make up some sales as well. and to be quite frank, my next cpu is going to be the amd black 5000+. no need for anything higher at the moment, that's a kickin proc for a damned nice price.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I don't understand why people blame on fanboys when a company's performance falls dramatically. Did those fanboys cause AMD to fail in competing against Intel? No. Did those fanboys cause Hector to make incorrect decisions? No.

Sure, without AMD, we'll be paying through our nose, blah blah blah. TBH, I am sick and tired of these craps. One fact is certain, there needs to be competition in an industry. However, using that as a way to blame on the fanboys are pretty pointless.

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
This is very stupid of Intel because they underestimate AMD. They may feel like they are ahead....the black edition Phenoms CPU's are here now...Intel will be hit hard. The black edition will give Intel some real headaches because the only unlocked CPU Intel offer is the expensive Extreme edition. Black Edition is just the start because the B3 stepping is coming...when they hit the market...Intel are finished. AMD will kick evil Intel some more while their down because of the Anti-trust court case.

I predict huge loses for Intel in 2008

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
even with the unlocked multipliers, I doubt the phenom BE will be up to the standard of even the q6600 G0 when it comes to OC'ing.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Oh my, 9nm becoming more like Sharidouche?

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

This should be fun :ange:

sailer

Splendid
For myself, I really don't care if Intel slows down production. It just means that there will be less cost in trying to keep in with changing technology and that our hardware will have a longer usefull life. Besides, a 3.2 ghz Q9770 that can be overclocked to around 4 ghz on air sounds plenty good to me.

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007

Planned obsolescence. It's why intel has money.

sailer

Splendid

Its not like AMD hasn't done the same thing, abandoning 939 for AM2, which doesn't run a lot faster. And then there was the short lived QFX, now AM2+, which hasn't worked well and whose 790FX motherboards have problems. No, both companies have fed the tech race, along with Nvidia and ATI whose graphics cards are constantly changed for the next best thing.

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007

No, that's just AMD sucking.

HOLY CRAP! This is UNBELIEVABLE! If I hadn't read it, I wouldn't ever thought that it could be true. I must be in the bizzaro forums!!!

So called hardware enthusiasts supporting an Intel development slowdown and justifying it by willingly stating that "it's good enough"?!?!?!

So much for the super-ultra-collosal-end-all-be-all "Tick-Tock" strategy! Nothing like resting on your laurels to further technology.

The real irony here is that certain AMD supporters got absolutely killed and flamed by stating that the 65nm X2's and Barcelona were "good enough". The Intel bias shines down like the sun at high noon in the Sahara desert.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
It isn't just Intel and AMD. Planned obsolescence is the name of the game in the consumer electronics business, and in many other businesses as well.

I agree with Sailer on the 939 to AM2 move. Lots of pain for a statistically insignificant gain. Maybe if Phenom was truly drop-in compatible with older AM2 boards I would think otherwise, but Tom's has a good article on how that is turning out.

I guess I'm just bitter though, being stuck on 939 and all. I could have been just as screwed with an Intel system if I had gone that route instead :(

Amd stated that the move from 939 to AM2 was only changing out the IMC to use DDR2 as well as the move to 65nm.

Lastly, its up to the mobo manufacturer to ensure their product is compatible with Phenom by releasing the appropriate BIOS, not AMD.

TRENDING THREADS