Sign in with
Your question

Intel Grinds all progress to a halt - C1E

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 12:56:39 PM

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Intel grinds all progress to a halt as competition from AMD flops completely.

According to Fuad ... you will get nothing more than 3.2Ghz and all other advances will cease.

You will get no more milk and honey ... LOL ... unless you overclock what you already have.

Enjoy Intel Fanbois ... you know it is what you want.

AMD4Life

January 9, 2008 12:58:15 PM

Reynod said:

According to Fuad ... you will get nothing more than 3.2Ghz and all other advances will cease.

You will get no more milk and honey ... LOL ... unless you overclock what you already have.

AMD4Life

You know a C2Q 3.2ghz is already fast enough
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 1:05:54 PM

Yep ... a q6600 would do me.

I tried a thunderman post for a bit of fun.

Fuad had some pics of the dual rv670 ATI card there too.

Bit of fun.
Related resources
January 9, 2008 1:16:31 PM

heh I saw the ATI 3870X2 pictures inside an Intel box!
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 9, 2008 1:19:28 PM

Thanks Reynod, that was helpful.
January 9, 2008 1:23:09 PM

I for one hope the industry does slow down and let developers catch up a bit.

I don't use more than 40% of my quad core when gaming right now..

Let the GPU segment catch up again.
January 9, 2008 1:49:49 PM

Reynod said:

AMD4Life

lol

AMD is so far behind that Intel stops because they arent even in the same ballpark.

Yah...AMD4Life :D 

Personally...I cant wait for the E8400 45nm...I will probably be upgrading my E6700 right off the bat if it isnt too expensive.

Sad that its twice the processor of an AMD that costs twice as much :lol: 
January 9, 2008 2:18:45 PM

cnumartyr said:
I for one hope the industry does slow down and let developers catch up a bit.

I don't use more than 40% of my quad core when gaming right now..

Let the GPU segment catch up again.

Very true.

Once the fanbois finish their refreshing glass of Cool-aid.... this is why we need an AMD. I wonder where we would be if there wasn't competition in the market (and yes I think that AMD would do the same thing).
January 9, 2008 2:21:53 PM

So what's the big deal? ALL of the car companies are doing this... we could have hydrogen cars but we don't, we could have had them 20 years ago, but we don't. all about dough. and intel is happy milking every dime out of you that they can, that's why they release a new proc every 10 minutes whenever they're under heavy competition from amd, but when they get ahead, just sit back and let the dough roll in (on the manufacturing end anyway). This will give AMD time to make up some sales as well. and to be quite frank, my next cpu is going to be the amd black 5000+. no need for anything higher at the moment, that's a kickin proc for a damned nice price.
January 9, 2008 2:37:55 PM

I don't understand why people blame on fanboys when a company's performance falls dramatically. Did those fanboys cause AMD to fail in competing against Intel? No. Did those fanboys cause Hector to make incorrect decisions? No.

Sure, without AMD, we'll be paying through our nose, blah blah blah. TBH, I am sick and tired of these craps. One fact is certain, there needs to be competition in an industry. However, using that as a way to blame on the fanboys are pretty pointless.
January 9, 2008 2:57:24 PM

You post a link to a site called FUD.....

Nothing in that FUD is based on fact... Or worth a FRAK for that matter.
January 9, 2008 3:05:13 PM

This is very stupid of Intel because they underestimate AMD. They may feel like they are ahead....the black edition Phenoms CPU's are here now...Intel will be hit hard. The black edition will give Intel some real headaches because the only unlocked CPU Intel offer is the expensive Extreme edition. Black Edition is just the start because the B3 stepping is coming...when they hit the market...Intel are finished. AMD will kick evil Intel some more while their down because of the Anti-trust court case.

I predict huge loses for Intel in 2008
January 9, 2008 3:15:32 PM

Hopefully Microsoft will release another OS
January 9, 2008 3:17:57 PM

even with the unlocked multipliers, I doubt the phenom BE will be up to the standard of even the q6600 G0 when it comes to OC'ing.
January 9, 2008 3:18:43 PM

thunderman said:
This is very stupid of Intel because they underestimate AMD. They may feel like they are ahead....the black edition Phenoms CPU's are here now...Intel will be hit hard. The black edition will give Intel some real headaches because the only unlocked CPU Intel offer is the expensive Extreme edition. Black Edition is just the start because the B3 stepping is coming...when they hit the market...Intel are finished. AMD will kick evil Intel some more while their down because of the Anti-trust court case.

Oh my, 9nm becoming more like Sharidouche?
January 9, 2008 3:28:16 PM

thunderman said:

This should be fun :ange: 
January 9, 2008 3:34:35 PM

For myself, I really don't care if Intel slows down production. It just means that there will be less cost in trying to keep in with changing technology and that our hardware will have a longer usefull life. Besides, a 3.2 ghz Q9770 that can be overclocked to around 4 ghz on air sounds plenty good to me.
January 9, 2008 3:40:23 PM

sailer said:
For myself, I really don't care if Intel slows down production. It just means that there will be less cost in trying to keep in with changing technology and that our hardware will have a longer usefull life. Besides, a 3.2 ghz Q9770 that can be overclocked to around 4 ghz on air sounds plenty good to me.

Planned obsolescence. It's why intel has money.
January 9, 2008 3:47:18 PM

surrealdeal said:
Planned obsolescence. It's why intel has money.

Its not like AMD hasn't done the same thing, abandoning 939 for AM2, which doesn't run a lot faster. And then there was the short lived QFX, now AM2+, which hasn't worked well and whose 790FX motherboards have problems. No, both companies have fed the tech race, along with Nvidia and ATI whose graphics cards are constantly changed for the next best thing.
January 9, 2008 4:00:28 PM

sailer said:
Its not like AMD hasn't done the same thing, abandoning 939 for AM2, which doesn't run a lot faster. And then there was the short lived QFX, now AM2+, which hasn't worked well and whose 790FX motherboards have problems. No, both companies have fed the tech race, along with Nvidia and ATI whose graphics cards are constantly changed for the next best thing.

No, that's just AMD sucking.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 4:01:08 PM

bfellow said:
You know a C2Q 3.2ghz is already fast enough

[b said:
Sailer wrote:

For myself, I really don't care if Intel slows down production. It just means that there will be less cost in trying to keep in with changing technology and that our hardware will have a longer usefull life. Besides, a 3.2 ghz Q9770 that can be overclocked to around 4 ghz on air sounds plenty good to me. ]Sailer wrote:

[/b]

HOLY CRAP! This is UNBELIEVABLE! If I hadn't read it, I wouldn't ever thought that it could be true. I must be in the bizzaro forums!!!

So called hardware enthusiasts supporting an Intel development slowdown and justifying it by willingly stating that "it's good enough"?!?!?!

So much for the super-ultra-collosal-end-all-be-all "Tick-Tock" strategy! Nothing like resting on your laurels to further technology.

The real irony here is that certain AMD supporters got absolutely killed and flamed by stating that the 65nm X2's and Barcelona were "good enough". The Intel bias shines down like the sun at high noon in the Sahara desert.
January 9, 2008 4:01:23 PM

It isn't just Intel and AMD. Planned obsolescence is the name of the game in the consumer electronics business, and in many other businesses as well.

I agree with Sailer on the 939 to AM2 move. Lots of pain for a statistically insignificant gain. Maybe if Phenom was truly drop-in compatible with older AM2 boards I would think otherwise, but Tom's has a good article on how that is turning out.

I guess I'm just bitter though, being stuck on 939 and all. I could have been just as screwed with an Intel system if I had gone that route instead :( 
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 4:05:35 PM

sailer said:
...AM2+, which hasn't worked well and whose 790FX motherboards have problems...

What problems?
January 9, 2008 4:10:48 PM

chunkymonster said:
What problems?

The use of the SB600 south bridge has been causing some problems as reported here:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13832/5

A change to using a SB700 south bridge is suggested to cure the problem. Of course, there's also the fact that despite offering four PCIe slots, no software supports such useage yet.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 4:39:46 PM

homerdog said:
I agree with Sailer on the 939 to AM2 move. Lots of pain for a statistically insignificant gain. Maybe if Phenom was truly drop-in compatible with older AM2 boards I would think otherwise, but Tom's has a good article on how that is turning out.

Amd stated that the move from 939 to AM2 was only changing out the IMC to use DDR2 as well as the move to 65nm.

Lastly, its up to the mobo manufacturer to ensure their product is compatible with Phenom by releasing the appropriate BIOS, not AMD.
January 9, 2008 4:41:04 PM

$ per %increase... you shouldn't be allowed to comment on such a relative thing as worth.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 4:41:18 PM

Well let me see. As of right now the fastest dual is the e6850 at 3GHZ.

Ever since the very 1st conroe chips it was clear as day that intel could release much higher clocks of the conroe dual cores. The higher binned chips get into low to mid 3s very easy on stock volts. The lower binned cpus have no problems reaching the stock GHZ's of the higher binned cpus.

Intel could have done this from day one. There is no doubt that they could have released a 3.4ghz conroe on launch day or higher.

The newer 1333fsb chips could have 3.6 version out.

All they would do is do what AMD did with the 6400 and 6000. Release a cpu that is very close to the maximum of the architecture.

Intel has been holding back since the introduction of the arch. You will have tuff like to find any core2 that cant run stable at 400-600mhz above its stock rating on stock volts.

There was no x6400 when amd was spanking intel. Intel had there cpus pushed up to close to there max just to try and stay close to AMD. While doing so they kept alot peoples rooms warm with those ovens
January 9, 2008 4:43:59 PM

Someguy is correct. AMD is basically prescotting themselves.
January 9, 2008 4:46:52 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
prescotting themselves.

Nice. I like this new term. "Prescotting." :lol: 
January 9, 2008 4:47:22 PM

chunkymonster said:
HOLY CRAP! This is UNBELIEVABLE! If I hadn't read it, I wouldn't ever thought that it could be true. I must be in the bizzaro forums!!!

So called hardware enthusiasts supporting an Intel development slowdown and justifying it by willingly stating that "it's good enough"?!?!?!

So much for the super-ultra-collosal-end-all-be-all "Tick-Tock" strategy! Nothing like resting on your laurels to further technology.

The real irony here is that certain AMD supporters got absolutely killed and flamed by stating that the 65nm X2's and Barcelona were "good enough". The Intel bias shines down like the sun at high noon in the Sahara desert.

Hey you could always OC the 3.2 to 4.5ghz if you don't think it's fast enough!
January 9, 2008 4:47:46 PM

rant on/
Love how you AMD fanhags like to blame all of your famed companies failure on intel. Bet half of you blame living in your mom's basement at 30 on your mom too.
Fact- Currrently at retail channels there is NO product from AMD that even comes CLOSE to intel's offering. And there are 45nm parts in channel waiting release.

Most folks could give a **** less what amd says they are gonna do next, cry wolf too many times and now noone reallty cares, put a solid product out and get some sales, or STFU and GBTW.

rant off/

January 9, 2008 4:49:17 PM

chunkymonster said:

OMG! I can't believe Intel isn't rebranding the same chips and selling them for more! OMGWTFXORROFLOMGWTF!

I do hope that tick-tock doesn't go away.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 4:56:17 PM

I want 1 GB extra speed or double performance when I upgrade my CPU.
January 9, 2008 5:15:26 PM

chunkymonster said:
Amd stated that the move from 939 to AM2 was only changing out the IMC to use DDR2 as well as the move to 65nm.

Lest I be misunderstood, my point was not about the need to go to AM2 for the use of DDR2, but rather that AMD has changed platforms a number of times similar to Intel changing platforms. Overall, I think that the move to AM2 was good. I myself am using an old 939 machine as I haven't seen need to change just for the ability to use different ram. With the move to the 65nm chips, I have thought about getting an AM2 platform with a 5000+ BE, but have considered spending a bit more for an Intel platform. So far, I just haven't felt the need to build yet.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2008 5:22:26 PM

sailer said:
The use of the SB600 south bridge has been causing some problems as reported here:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13832/5

A change to using a SB700 south bridge is suggested to cure the problem. Of course, there's also the fact that despite offering four PCIe slots, no software supports such useage yet.

Oh, I thought the issue was something new or different.

The Tech Report wrote:

A [urlExt=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931369 said:
documented compatibility problem between Windows Vista and the 790FX chipset's SB600 south bridge component currently complicates running drives in AHCI mode. As Microsoft notes:
When you try to install Windows Vista on a portable computer that uses an ATI SB600 Series chipset, each driver may take a long time to install. Therefore, the Windows Vista installation process may take several hours. That's if it works at all. One can install Vista by putting the SATA controller into IDE mode, but AHCI mode is necessary to take advantage of Native Command Queuing and SATA device hot-swapping, so it's not a trivial capability to lose.
]

A documented compatibility problem between Windows Vista and the 790FX chipset's SB600 south bridge component currently complicates running drives in AHCI mode. As Microsoft notes:
When you try to install Windows Vista on a portable computer that uses an ATI SB600 Series chipset, each driver may take a long time to install. Therefore, the Windows Vista installation process may take several hours. That's if it works at all. One can install Vista by putting the SATA controller into IDE mode, but AHCI mode is necessary to take advantage of Native Command Queuing and SATA device hot-swapping, so it's not a trivial capability to lose.
[/urlExt]
What hardware hasn't had compatibility issue with Vista?

Generally speaking, I was dissappointed AMD went with the SB600 to begin with. The SB700 certainly does seem it will fix these issues, plus it adds RAID5.
January 9, 2008 6:25:32 PM

chunkymonster said:

AMD needed to move to DDR2 because Intel had pretty much made it the new standard. The performance gains just weren't there. I can't fault AMD for doing this, but I would like a little Black Edition love for my "obsolete" 939 system :cry: 
January 9, 2008 6:45:19 PM

homerdog said:
AMD needed to move to DDR2 because Intel had pretty much made it the new standard. The performance gains just weren't there. I can't fault AMD for doing this, but I would like a little Black Edition love for my "obsolete" 939 system :cry: 

I'd like one of those Black Editions for my 939 as well, but I accept that its not going to happen. So, the only way I'm going to get one is to spring for a new mobo, new ram, and a new chip. But if I do all that, should I go ahead and spend an extra $300 or so and get an even better performing Intel based platform? I haven't decided that quite yet, but probably will in a couple more weeks or so.
January 9, 2008 6:50:02 PM

sailer said:
I'd like one of those Black Editions for my 939 as well, but I accept that its not going to happen. So, the only way I'm going to get one is to spring for a new mobo, new ram, and a new chip. But if I do all that, should I go ahead and spend an extra $300 or so and get an even better performing Intel based platform? I haven't decided that quite yet, but probably will in a couple more weeks or so.

Short answer? Yes.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2008 7:17:53 PM

Ironic how people run a ATI(AMD ;)  ) graphics card (esp the 3850) + a Intel CPU
January 9, 2008 7:23:45 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Ironic how people run a ATI(AMD ;)  ) graphics card (esp the 3850) + a Intel CPU

The HD38 series is a great value right now... I'm considering a 3850 for another PC. (P4 Rebuild)
January 9, 2008 7:57:43 PM

nachowarrior said:
So what's the big deal? ALL of the car companies are doing this... we could have hydrogen cars but we don't, we could have had them 20 years ago, but we don't. all about dough.

Ya, your right. The big mean US car companes held back on new engine tech to screw us out of money. That's why GM, Ford and Chrysler are all facing BK. I'm sure that same stratigy was used by AMD. That has to be the secret behind theyr great success right now.

Hi! Allow me to introduce a freind of mine you might not know: Reality. :bounce: 
January 9, 2008 8:16:16 PM

If intel stops advances, who the hell is going to buy their chips if they already have one? Meh, this Q6600 is old, I think i need a new Q6600...

Seems moot.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2008 8:35:40 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:
Ya, your right. The big mean US car companes held back on new engine tech to screw us out of money. That's why GM, Ford and Chrysler are all facing BK. I'm sure that same stratigy was used by AMD. That has to be the secret behind theyr great success right now.

Hi! Allow me to introduce a freind of mine you might not know: Reality. :bounce: 

LOL. I like your friend reality. Its funny considering that Ford has fuel cell and hydrogen cars being tested around the world. If we could have had them 20 years ago the Japanese companies would have released them to try to hit the US based cars hard.

Either way I think this might be smart. Probably not true but it would be smart since if Intel does keep their "Tick-Tock" strategy and release Nehelam on time they might almost crush AMD considering Hector seems intent on trying to make Phenom sell instead of getting their next CPU up and running right.

If Intel does crush AMD, that would basically ensue all kinds of anti-trust crap even if AMD basically screwed themselves over.

Come to think of it AMD did the same thing really once the released their A64 X2 CPUs. Until Intel released C2D X2 was all we really had. Only thing new about it was the increase in clock speed really.

But I doubt Intel would really delay their next CPU as it will keep them on track of their roadmap.
January 9, 2008 9:56:33 PM

With this all. Why the hell does it make a difference capping at 3.2ghz
the hardware technology has benn progressing very quickly lately and sofware hasn't kept up. I mean is there really a program that would use all the cores a once with %100 usage (excluding bencmarks). I think intel is capping for that excacpt reason.
January 9, 2008 10:11:29 PM

Doomsday has begun. All advanced in microprocessor industry will cease without competition.
January 10, 2008 1:21:48 AM

BSMonitor said:
You post a link to a site called FUD.....

Thank you BSMonitor!

That article is not worth the discussion it's inspired.

It is based on 2% fact and 98% personal commentary from a guy who at best may have spoken to a booth jockey.

As far as anyone from Intel officially having told him they have made release plans based on AMD's stuff I'd like to see in an official statement from Intel.

What we have is two verifiable facts, thrown in with 98% unfounded speculation by a guy named FUAD who claims to know all the motivations of company as big as Intel.

The article contains the facts that "We learned that Intel doesn’t plan to release a CPU faster than Quad core 9770 3.2GHz by Q4 2008."

and "In Q4 Intel is supposed to launch the Nehalem, its new native 45nm quad core with eight threads that will replace the core architecture".

The rest of the article is someone who wants you to think he's in the know pulling speculation out of his butt as to why these facts are as they are.

Here's a thought, Fuad. Maybe Intel won't be switching over to more advanced technology until Q4 is that...

... perhaps...

... it's called advanced technology for a reason? :sarcastic: 

Maybe Fuad is 12 years old and only has the perspective of someone who has no sense of history. Who doesn't remember a time when we went a couple or more years between major new Processor tech advances.

Failing to double or quadruple Processor abilities every 9 months apparently is now the same thing as sitting on your hands. :pt1cable: 

Maybe it will take as long as 9 months to get to the 45nm technology, using a new, entirely different process then used before...

is because creating the ability to mass produce technology never seen outside of a laboratory takes a little while, maybe even a little retooling, Fuad?

I don't think Intel can have their new state of the art production equipment overnighted from Tigerdirect.

Fuad seems to think that mamoth retooling to reliably produce processer technology the likes of which have never existed before - and on top of that using an entirely new process then ever used to produce microchips

- that all of that custom industrial production equipment can be replaced in the blink of an eye.

NOT!!! :sarcastic: 

Don't let the 2% fact lead you to believe the 98% personal, unsubstantiated speculation - BS to put it simply.

January 10, 2008 1:36:31 AM

random1283 said:
With this all. Why the hell does it make a difference capping at 3.2ghz
the hardware technology has benn progressing very quickly lately and sofware hasn't kept up. I mean is there really a program that would use all the cores a once with %100 usage (excluding bencmarks). I think intel is capping for that excacpt reason.

I see no evidence of "capping."

The only thing I've seen about this from Intel is that the fastest processor they expect to be making in terms of Gigahertz will be 3.2 at the end of the third quarter.

The new 45nm technology will allow them to get exponentially more transistors and cores into their processors without having to worry about power consumption.

I expect that once they get the new process down that afterwards even faster clocks speeds will follow.
Right now they are probably a little busy simply learning how to mass produce the chips reliably, especially considering it's a brand new process on top of the smaller circuitry.

Yes, theoretically there may be a point where faster Gigahertz is impractical due to interference, etc.
But I don't think that point has been reached yet.

I don't see any evidence of Intel plans to "cap" all future Gigahertz speeds.

But, I do have to wholeheartily agree with you that people are far too obsessed with Gigahertz speed.

Software engineers do need to catch up to the multi-core technology and make use of it, but they should be doing that anyway.
January 10, 2008 1:41:52 AM

Perhaps Nehalem will improve instructions per clock. In that case, who cares if it's not "faster than 3.2GHz".

A 1.8GHz Core2 Duo smokes a 3.2GHz Pentium D. Is it a stretch to think that a quad-core Nehalem with IMC and QuickPath will smack down the Core2 Duo?
January 10, 2008 1:47:21 AM

Fletch, I loved your post I was laughing out loud... Microsoft posted a statment last night that they were sick of all you ungrateful bastages complaining about Vista , the biggest technological advancement since relish on hot dogs!! They went on to say, you aren't getting another OS until every last one of you have it on your systems and theyll be checking with the spyware they have pre-installed! :)  :) 
January 10, 2008 2:00:37 AM

Reynod said:

AMD4Life

The end of the world is near.................................. :pt1cable: 

Tech stocks are proving to be the biggest disappointment of the new year.

As the housing market softened, mortgage investments soured and the economy showed signs of slowing as 2007 unfolded, investors profited by shifting to technology stocks. Technology companies have big sales overseas, where growth has stayed strong, and sell mostly to businesses, so they are less vulnerable to slowdowns in consumer spending.

Now, however, tech stocks are suffering the brunt of the stock market's recent beating. Intel Corp., for example, is down 15% this year, Google Inc. is down 6% and Apple Inc. has fallen about 10%.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119992934611979783.html...

!