Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Where are the AM2+ Nvidia chipsets?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2008 2:49:35 AM

I went on to newegg tonight and noticed there was only about 2 ATX Nvidia motherboards listed for the AM2+ platform out of about 12 motherboards in total. And even at that these Nvidia boards are not "TRUE" AM2+ motherboards because they only have a 2,000 MHz frontside bus (w/ hyperthreading) instead of a 5,200 MHz front side bus like a REAL AM2+ board has.

What's the deal? Nvidia's chipsets were dominate with the AM2 boards. I can't believe their marketshare as dropped like a rock for the AM2+ platform.

Why aren't there more? Has Nvidia not released their chipsets yet for AM2+? Or is no one interested in making them?

More about : am2 nvidia chipsets

January 30, 2008 3:56:01 AM

I haven't seen any firm release dates for the 750/780a chipsets yet, only sometime later this quarter.
January 30, 2008 4:25:07 AM

maybe they're not going that route?


i suspect AMD has joined Intel in trying to wipe out Nvidia out of the Chipset race.
Related resources
January 30, 2008 4:30:18 AM

Why would Nvidia release a board for AMD who is the new owner of ATi? They won't even license SLi to intel
January 30, 2008 4:37:09 AM

Theres a hell of a lot more money to be made in an Intel based motherboard then there is an AMD one. I remember the time when the Asus P5W DH Deluxe first came out, there wasn't one Intel motherboard that had an Nvidia chipset on it. It hurts to be the bottom feeder now, doesn't it? :lol: 
January 30, 2008 4:40:56 AM

Blackra1n said:
Why would Nvidia release a board for AMD who is the new owner of ATi? They won't even license SLi to intel



Intel needs to buy out Nvidia, wouldn't that be wonderful?
January 30, 2008 5:01:45 AM

or Intel could create a its own graphics division and name it Phenom. :) 
January 30, 2008 7:06:14 AM

The Nvidia MCP78 boards should be available in 1st or 2nd quarter of this year. I don't know why they're delaying Hybrid SLI. They will also have an 8xxx series IGP on all boards, from the cheapest to the enthusiast; to provide power saving mode.

I've dissed Nvidia's catering mainly to the enthusiast end before, and my most irritating board experience was with an MSI K9N board with a 405 chipset that didn't support ATI cards due to "chipset limitations" but Nvidia has the right idea in providing IGP on all boards for power saving mode. ATI should do that too, even on Crossfire 790 boards.

teh_boxzor said:
or Intel could create a its own graphics division and name it Phenom. :) 


No, they can name it Graphburst, because Intel graphics have been the IGP equivalent to Netburst. It will be interesting seeing what happens with Nvidia when both AMD and Intel start integrating graphics into budget and mainstream CPU's. Will Nvidia buy Via? Will they create their own CPU? Let's watch and see.


January 30, 2008 9:19:23 AM

Intel have tried graphics chips in the past (Anyone remember the 740,which would only work with Intel boards?)
They have not been very succesful, so the obvious thing would be to buy a graphics chip maker for the knowledge.
January 30, 2008 10:09:24 AM

intel chipsets suck
January 30, 2008 10:35:17 AM

I think they release their chipsets on time for the b3 revision of Phenom. Before that, there is no need for it since none of the big companies (Dell, HP, etc.) offer any Phenom platforms. I suppose they either take their time to improve their product before launch or, and that is even more likely, use their resources on something more important.
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2008 11:22:01 AM

Slobogob said:
I think they release their chipsets on time for the b3 revision of Phenom. Before that, there is no need for it since none of the big companies (Dell, HP, etc.) offer any Phenom platforms. I suppose they either take their time to improve their product before launch or, and that is even more likely, use their resources on something more important.


HP has Phenom computers amazingly. They are expensive too. I have seen them at Sam's Club and Circuit City. I am suprised that HP went for them.

Back to the Nvidia chipsets... Nvidia absolutely dominated the AM2 boards. I am surprised they were not first to market with the AM2+ boards. If they got something planned for later this quarter then I guess they are not going to lose too much money.

I mean who would want to buy a 2.2 or a 2.3 GHz phenom processor anyway?

I have ZERO interest in the current phenoms. Now the revision they are going to do to them at the end of 2008 might actually be worth something but until then I am sticking with 64x2.

But that brings up another point. The phenoms that are scheduled for late 2008 are supposedly going to be built on the 45nm process. If that is true I wonder if a whole new line of 45nm capatible AM2+ motherboards will have to be released just to work with them like Intel boards are doing now.
January 30, 2008 11:32:57 AM

rwayne said:
HP has Phenom computers amazingly. They are expensive too. I have seen them at Sam's Club and Circuit City. I am suprised that HP went for them.


That is indeed interesting. They have probably the tlb patch applied and run horribly, but i'm willing to bet that HP got them quite cheap and they still sell since they are magical quadcores.
January 30, 2008 11:52:42 AM

HP's Consumer Market is not those who are computer savy.

If you can get a Quad-Core Cheap and put fancy enough words on the flyer, folks will buy it.

That is why you find 512mb DDR2 8300GS video cards in these machones as well.

WoW! DX10! WoW! 512MB of Memory! Crysis here I come! LOL!!!!
January 30, 2008 12:42:18 PM

Could Nvidia be waiting for B3 stepping, rather than get involved in any weird BIOS fixes?
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2008 11:37:44 PM

zenmaster said:
HP's Consumer Market is not those who are computer savy.

If you can get a Quad-Core Cheap and put fancy enough words on the flyer, folks will buy it.

That is why you find 512mb DDR2 8300GS video cards in these machones as well.

WoW! DX10! WoW! 512MB of Memory! Crysis here I come! LOL!!!!
NO KIDDIN'! The FireDogz at Circuit City are just raping the uneducated consumer with their HP machines. ALL of their computers have PC4200 Ram in them!! But to the average person that seems like high number and they are just amazed by it even though it is about the slowest ram available today. Just a rip off. Way over priced by at least $300 to $400 dollars. They probably have watered down motherboards too.

Your comment:
Quote:
WoW! DX10! WoW! 512MB of Memory! Crysis here I come! LOL!!!!
It's more like DX10! Wow! 512MB of Memory! Microsoft Word here I come!!!
January 31, 2008 6:05:57 AM

crazywheels said:
intel chipsets suck


Thats abit vauge don't you think? Some Intel chipsets haven't been that great but to say that all Intel chipsets suck is just ignorant and stupid. At least back up what your saying with some links to prove your point, I'll take your silence as a lack of Intelligence.


January 31, 2008 11:11:46 PM

rwayne said:


But that brings up another point. The phenoms that are scheduled for late 2008 are supposedly going to be built on the 45nm process. If that is true I wonder if a whole new line of 45nm capatible AM2+ motherboards will have to be released just to work with them like Intel boards are doing now.



wow if thats true. why doesn't AMD just go ahead and say Phenom will go on AM3 boards. yes it sucks for the people who have AM2+ boards, but hey AM2+ isn't that popular yet and it just seems like the most logical move.
February 1, 2008 6:16:41 PM

Quote:
Why would Nvidia release a board for AMD who is the new owner of ATi? They won't even license SLi to intel


So they can make more money. Not all AMD fans like the AMD chipset boards. I use Nforce boards myself for my AMD, because they're more friendly and they perform a lot better. I'm waiting for the Nforce AM2+ boards.
February 1, 2008 6:35:46 PM

Well. suppose ya have to see it from nvidia's point of view - why go backwards etc.... Afterall they a business - supply and demand etc....

Ill never understand why some folkz are either intel or AMD, afterall its performance that counts.... ( i got a couple of AMD's lol)....
February 1, 2008 7:03:16 PM

rwayne said:
I went on to newegg tonight and noticed there was only about 2 ATX Nvidia motherboards listed for the AM2+ platform out of about 12 motherboards in total. And even at that these Nvidia boards are not "TRUE" AM2+ motherboards because they only have a 2,000 MHz frontside bus (w/ hyperthreading) instead of a 5,200 MHz front side bus like a REAL AM2+ board has.


what
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2008 12:43:39 AM

turboflame said:
what

Please elaborate.
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2008 12:53:53 AM

Blackra1n said:
Why would Nvidia release a board for AMD who is the new owner of ATi? They won't even license SLi to intel
ANSWER: Because Nvidia has to make money some how. Nvidia is basically homeless right now. AMD now has ATI and Intel has their own in-house graphics (which is continually getting better every year.)

Don't think Intel is Nvidia's best friend now that AMD purchased ATI. It is really quite the opposite. AMD is naturally going to push for ATI chipsets with OEMS just as Intel is going to push for their integrated graphics.

Nvidia is still going to be a top flight GPU company for many years to come but the market place is going to be much tougher for them to compete in than it has in the past. Marketshare will be lost.
February 2, 2008 1:16:37 AM

where are the ati / amd am2+ boards with SB700?
February 2, 2008 1:44:05 AM

There are 790FX chipset boards by MSI,Asus,GB and good old DFI for
sale -everyplace- online from $179-249 USD.

February 2, 2008 8:10:33 PM

newegg has a couple 770's from what i see and some 790x's too.
March 6, 2008 2:54:06 AM

rwayne said:
Please elaborate.

O i think the bold says it all...
!