Overclocking E8400 with EP35 DS3L

1st problem: I recently put together a build using the E8400 processor and Gigabyte's EP35 DS3L/rev-F4 with G-Skill 1000 2x2GB.
However, I hit a wall when trying to overclock it. Note: this is my first time overclocking.
It just wont let me push it past 372x9 or 3.35GHZ without Prime95 crashing. C1E is not enabled. and I'm running the ram at 933.

An interesting note: I installed DES, but after realizing what it was I quickly uninstalled it. Could this be whats stopping me from pushing the CPU any further?
From what I've read this CPU should be more than capable of reaching the 4.0 mark. So if anyone has any advice it'd be much appreciated.

2nd problem: Are there programs like Gigabytes Easytune or CPU-Z and Prime95 for Linux?

Thanks ^_^
8 answers Last reply
More about overclocking e8400 ep35 ds3l
  1. You certainly don't want to be using Easytune or a similar program to change settings -- you need to change settings in the BIOS only. Make sure you've set your RAM voltage to the RAM manufacturer's spec voltage for your specific model RAM. In order to separate RAM OCing issues from CPU OCing issues, OC only one or the other; make sure you've got stability, and only then start OCing the other.
  2. +1, you definitely should change setting in the bios. Software overclocking with the exception of GPUs, don't work as well.
  3. I have a similar setup. I have an E8400 on the same EP35-DS3L motherboard. I also have 4GB Corsair XMS2 C4 memory. I'm using a Zalman cooler. Can someone please give me some advice on what good overclocking settings are for this processor (and memory if known). I'm not out for extreme overclocking but something to give it a good bump in performance while maintaining stability.
  4. +1 for shadow703793
  5. Mine won't push past 3.4GHz...and I didn't install the utility. I keep getting blue screens of death and my manual voltage changes show in the BIOS but not in Windows Utilities (i.e. CPU-Z or HW Monitor)
  6. Well, another OC newb here. Just a quick note to thank those of you that posted to this thread and explained overclocking this board and processor. I've finally done it. Although, I haven't yet stressed it over night. Maybe tonight. This is a system I use at work so I don't want to tie it up. But, as you can see, this processor does run at a low normal voltage at 4GHz with only +.1 in FSB and GMCH. VCore is running at 1.275v.

Regarding the beta release of the Bios, DO NOT, let the voltages automatically set. It set the VCore at 1.5v. I quickly shut my system down. No harm no foul.

I'm very happy with this build as it runs fast and reasonably cool. It idles a bit high, but that's probably because of the higher CPU speed.

My system is the following:

E8400 | ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro w/Arctic Silver CMQ-22G | Gigabyte EP35-DS3L w/F6a beta | Vista Ultimate64 | Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS 500GB C:\ | Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB D:\ | OCZ Platinum 8GB DDR2 1066 | MSI N9600GT 512M GeForce 9600 GT | SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA |SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W | LianLi Case | DViCO FusionHDTV7 Dual Express DUAL HDTV/Analog TV Tuner Card
  7. For those that are interested in EP35-DS3L with E8400 overclock. I've stressed the system overnight with Prime95-64 using the Blend test and monitoring temperatures with Everest Ultimate. No errors and a pretty constant 55C. This system idles at 41C, not as low as the mid 30's that others have posted, but pretty consistent. I think my LianLi case is pretty poor at cooling. I have a few mods to make here just trying to get it better airflow.

As a side note, there was a post that the TJMax temp for the E8400 using RealTemp was 100C. After that was set, the Everest Ultimate temp agrees with RealTemp. I haven't confirmed this through the Intel website, but it seems to provide consistent temps.

Again, thank you to those that took the time to post and explain. Especially the guide that Shadow put together. The tip of what to manage and in what order was my key. Thanks.

I am very happy with this system and it's performance. I was impressed at 3.0GHz but I'm ecstatic at 4GHz!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking CPUs