Sign in with
Your question

New system build advice please

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2007 5:15:54 PM

Here is my current build. It will be primarily used for gaming, light office work, non professional photo and video editing (just for my own use) and Internet.

I am not comfortable overclocking so most likely will not do it unless I change my mind. Due to not OC'ing, I will use stock CPU cooler for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro

CPU: Intel Q6600 w/G0

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

PSU: Corsair 620w HX

Vid: eVGA 8800GTS 512mb (G92)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0

Optical: Samsung DVD writer (20x) with Lightscribe, SATA

Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI

Media Card Reader: Mitsumi FA404M Black

Case: Antec P182
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions:
1. Since I don't want to OC, is the E6850 a better choice due to higher clock speed (3.0ghz I think)?

2. Am I better off with memory with faster timings, e.g. CAS4 rather than CAS5? And, do I need 4gb? I'll be running XP Prof until Vista works out its kinks.

3. Is it pretty easy to OC? Should I be doing it?

Thanks

More about : system build advice

December 29, 2007 12:03:52 AM

Video editing is CPU intensive and so the Q6600 is the better CPU. If your not overclocking, there won't be a noticeable difference with the higher case latency, really comes down to your budget. Other than what's in the BIOS I don't overclock so will leave that to someone else. If you have a camcorder with firewire, I'd recommend the ASUS P5K-E, has 3 PCI slots as well. A good less expensive board without firewire and only 2 PCI slots is the Gigabyte P35DS3L
December 29, 2007 12:10:48 PM

1. Yep, you're correct the E6850's 3ghz will beat out the 2.4ghz quad. It's good for gaming. Quad will beat out dual in video/audio editing. If you game more than work, get the dual. & vice versa.

2. Makes absolutely no difference for a stock pc.

3. Yep, it's a no brainer if you have the right tools. Why not? It's not a workstation, downtime means clearing cmos in minutes. but if you do o/c, get a good aftermarket cpu cooler & maybe upgrade the case fans to Scythe high-cfm. 60-90. & a 4-fan fan controller.
!