New system build advice please

Gooter74

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Here is my current build. It will be primarily used for gaming, light office work, non professional photo and video editing (just for my own use) and Internet.

I am not comfortable overclocking so most likely will not do it unless I change my mind. Due to not OC'ing, I will use stock CPU cooler for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro

CPU: Intel Q6600 w/G0

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

PSU: Corsair 620w HX

Vid: eVGA 8800GTS 512mb (G92)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0

Optical: Samsung DVD writer (20x) with Lightscribe, SATA

Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI

Media Card Reader: Mitsumi FA404M Black

Case: Antec P182
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions:
1. Since I don't want to OC, is the E6850 a better choice due to higher clock speed (3.0ghz I think)?

2. Am I better off with memory with faster timings, e.g. CAS4 rather than CAS5? And, do I need 4gb? I'll be running XP Prof until Vista works out its kinks.

3. Is it pretty easy to OC? Should I be doing it?

Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Video editing is CPU intensive and so the Q6600 is the better CPU. If your not overclocking, there won't be a noticeable difference with the higher case latency, really comes down to your budget. Other than what's in the BIOS I don't overclock so will leave that to someone else. If you have a camcorder with firewire, I'd recommend the ASUS P5K-E, has 3 PCI slots as well. A good less expensive board without firewire and only 2 PCI slots is the Gigabyte P35DS3L

akhilles

Splendid
1. Yep, you're correct the E6850's 3ghz will beat out the 2.4ghz quad. It's good for gaming. Quad will beat out dual in video/audio editing. If you game more than work, get the dual. & vice versa.

2. Makes absolutely no difference for a stock pc.

3. Yep, it's a no brainer if you have the right tools. Why not? It's not a workstation, downtime means clearing cmos in minutes. but if you do o/c, get a good aftermarket cpu cooler & maybe upgrade the case fans to Scythe high-cfm. 60-90. & a 4-fan fan controller.