continuation

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Just a little while ago it was at $12 and some people thought that was too low.

How long does it take for it to become a penny stock? Maybe instead of buying the CPUs, I'll just buy the company when it gets cheap enough!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I wonder the same thing. Stocks tend to drop well below company value during "panic selling". Then smart money picks up the bargain and sends the stock surging in the other direction.

HOWEVER, "never catch a falling knife". Wait for true signs the stock has bottomed and is ready to bounce or change directions. A blip on the radar or an up day doesn't mean BUY.

Be careful. There are plenty of $5 stocks that end up sub-penny in the same year, even the same month. Bakruptcy has a way of doing that ;)

azfj60

Distinguished
May 3, 2007

Why would you want to do that? Most people buy (into) companies on the premise that they'll make some $ on thier investment. Do you see a clear path to that given current financials?

sailer

Splendid
True enough, AMD is falling fast, but so are a lot of other stocks. Anyone look at how far and fast the bank stocks have fallen? The whole market is taking a bath at the moment. About the only things that aren't falling are the prices of food, gasoline, energy of any kind. of course, gold is going up fast as the dollar goes down. For those people old enough, this all looks a lot like the Jimmy Carter days when the erm used was "Stagflation", because income stagnated as the market went down, while the cost of things kept inflating. Suddenly its like 1978-79 all over again.

Kari

Splendid

Cause theres still a lot of potential in them, and it would be so cheap to buy them now. All they need is a good moneytary injection to get them going again and to get those products fixed.

I'll think the stock will fall close to $4 until it starts to climb back up....

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007

No. According to the McDonalds Corporation, the dollar is looking good.

azfj60

Distinguished
May 3, 2007

They've had a bunch of "monetary injections" recently, in case you missed it, to the point of where thier debt load is almost, if not more than, thier market capitalization. I wonder what the folks who bought the $2.2B in senior notes think about the company that's only worth ~$3.08B now... Personally, I just don't see a path to return to profitability any time soon, let alone this year, despite what Hector says.

I believe this has to do with AMD's first quarter earning call.

This link isn't working anymore, but perhaps it will start working again:

http://www.123jump.com/earnings-calls/Advanced-Micro-Devices-First-Quarter-Earnings-Call/24848/

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I think hes on about the good kind of injection, where you dont have to pay it back lol. AMD needs serious paternal support i.e. by being bought by a much larger company to ensure they develop what they plan to asap not as funds allow.

The worst of their desicions and execution are behind them I think, now they're against the clock, make it until Phenoms are fixed and released, without being bought out and having enough cash to see the year out. I would say the continual drooping of the stock is the markets reaction to not having anything positive to react against. That is they/were waiting for three big things: q4 2007 results, Radeon x2 released & recieved positively and fixed Phenoms or at least news of solid progress on that front. There isnt a massive amount to go on lately, leaving us and the market to only speculate, and what with AMD's name being little better than mud right now, the direction is only, inevitably, down.

That all said this really should all be in another forum, right?

No it shouldn't be.

If so, name the forum and provide a link.

Just because it is bad news for AMD doesn't mean it should be somewhere else.

sailer

Splendid

Ouch! Double Ouch!!

From report:

Investor issues
1. EPS were a loss of $1.11 per share compared to a profit of .38 cents a share last year
2. Net income was a loss of $611 million, down from a profit of $184.5 million in the year-ago period
3. Sales sank to $1.23 billion from $1.33 billion a year ago

While no one can say for sure, it makes me wonder what the difference might have been if Phenom didn't have the errata problem and Barcelona hadn't received the stop shipment order.

azfj60

Distinguished
May 3, 2007

I don't think this is current?

From the link:
This summary is based on the first quarter fiscal 2007 earnings call conducted by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD: chart) on April 19, 2007.

I'm confused by it as well... I don't think it's right either. I got the information from Google Finance and the date of the article at the top say Jan 09 2008.

Cause if they posted a loss for Q4 of 600+M, there stock would have reacted much more severely.

However, my prediction for Q4 is a 450M loss.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

General discussion on 'tomshardware.com' ? you may have heard of it TC :lol:

Yes its bad news but no thats not why I say it shouldn't be here. And that its bad news for AMD is not something to throw at someone who says to you, yes you TC, that these threads might belong somewhere else.

I said LINK IT fanboy.

There is no general discussions forum for CPUs, well actually there is, THIS IS THE FORUM.

LINK IT FANBOY.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Since Baron_Matrix isn't here to comment on this subject I thought that I would step in and speak on his behalf.

First of all $5 a share for AMD stock will make the company more competitive in the stock market. This is part of their overall plan to compete with Intel. Just like lowering the price of their processors to destroy Intel, AMD is now lowering their stock price. Intel has already suffered a loss of about $4 a share since AMD has taken this approach. Soon Intel will have to compete at the lower pricing and drop their stock to $6-$7 a share. Of course Intel has much more overhead and this will hurt their company more than AMD.

By this time next year AMD will be back leading in Processor Performance and Stock price. Barcelona's new rev. will destroy anything Intel has on the Market.

Your Homey without a Poney,
BaronMatrix

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007

funny, I thought that stock was based on price to earnings ratios, not how low you can sell it.

Not AMD's stock. Ever since K10 was released AMD actually sets it own price because of how awesome their product launches are.

If you are lucky enough AMD will LET YOU buy their stock.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

Actually a companies stock price is the product of fluctuations in the genuflex index ratio. If you subtract the margins of the PE ratio to the market capitol you will get roughly the same number.

If the glove don't fix, you must acquit.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Your telling me you cant find general discussion on tomshardware.com?

Fanboy? Ive got an intel system! blah

TRENDING THREADS