Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

110/220V input question with Antec PSU

Last response: in Components
Share
January 9, 2008 3:51:18 PM

Hi,

I just recently purchased an Antec earthwatts EA380 ATX12V v2.0 380W Power Supply as advised by the forum members here (thanks by the way).

here's the newegg link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't have the PSU yet (still in transit) and I was just wondering about the input voltage.

I noticed that the PSU doesnt have a switch to change it from 110v to 220v or vice versa. My previous PSUs has this switch. I only based this info from the Newegg pictures.

I'm in the US right now and they use 110v ... I'm going back to my home country next week and we use 220V there.

When I checked the specifications it says:

Input Voltage 100 - 240 V

Does this mean its AUTO Volt? or do I have to do something else first. like a switch or something.

Its actually not a biggy because the UPS I use has (1) 110v plug and the rest are 220v. But I just want to be sure because someone could accidentally plug it to 220v.

1) Is it safe to just plug it in 220v?

2) Let's say I can use either 110v or 220v: Is it better to plug it into 110v or 220v? If I use higher voltage, does the power supply lifespan shortens?

*If you use 220v, will it stress the power supply more?


THank you very much!
January 9, 2008 4:22:59 PM

Just check the online manual, it states:

"Universal Input allows you to connect your Antec EarthWatts power supply to any AC power outlet between 100~240V without having to worry about setting a voltage switch."

220v is more efficient than 110v - your PSU will operate more efficiently and use less power with 220v.
January 9, 2008 4:33:19 PM

rockyjohn said:
Just check the online manual, it states:

"Universal Input allows you to connect your Antec EarthWatts power supply to any AC power outlet between 100~240V without having to worry about setting a voltage switch."

220v is more efficient than 110v - your PSU will operate more efficiently and use less power with 220v.


THanks for your reply :) 

I will use the higher voltage :) 


semi-Off topic:

I found some interesting things when I went to the Antec website.

I just found some discrepancy between the info from Newegg and the Website.

The Antec Website states that there is a voltage switch

http://www.antec.com/specs/EA380_spe.html

Also, the voltages in the dual 12V rails are different from the website and Newegg.

from the website it says: +12V1 = 17A and +12V2 = 15A

Newegg and the Sticker picture says: +12V1 = 17A and +12V2 = 17A

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...

Weird .. I'm pretty much sure I clicked and search the right Antec EA model :D 

But anyway .. thanks for your help :) 
Related resources
January 9, 2008 4:35:49 PM

yes, it will auto switch. BUT... In other countries the wall socket operates at 50hz, 70hz, etc. Check the psu, if it only says 60hz, it will explode.
January 9, 2008 5:03:47 PM

Quote:
Also, the voltages in the dual 12V rails are different from the website and Newegg.

from the website it says: +12V1 = 17A and +12V2 = 15A

Newegg and the Sticker picture says: +12V1 = 17A and +12V2 = 17A


Probably an updated version of the power supply. When I send back to Antec a PSU, they usually send me one with more amps on the 12v rails.
January 9, 2008 5:16:12 PM

surrealdeal said:
yes, it will auto switch. BUT... In other countries the wall socket operates at 50hz, 70hz, etc. Check the psu, if it only says 60hz, it will explode.


How do I find out if my country uses 50hz, 60, 70hz ... etc??? Can this information be found on the UPS that I use there?

Thanks

EDIT: The Antec EA380W has this specification in terms of Freq

Input Frequency Range - 50/60 Hz

Is it safe? Our country uses 60hz .. when I googled it ... I'm not yet sure if its true or precise

I got it here: http://www.iagora.com/itravel/tools/conv/electric_cnv2....
January 9, 2008 7:58:16 PM

Yup, its really 60hz in my country. I guess I'm going to be good.

Thanks for your help
!