Can Alt CPU Cooling Miss Mobo Chips?

spyglass

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
Stock CPU fans blow air down and out hitting cooling fins on motherboard chips that are next to the CPU.

I have not seen any mention to temps of these motherboard chips if one changes to a HS that redirects air flow or water cooling solutions.

comments please.

thanks

Qwakrz

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
You need to supliment the airflow with something when swapping to water cooling.

I side pannel fan that blows over the CPU socket when I fit the doors on my case, this provides the missing airflow that swapping to water has removed.

Some mobo's also come with seperate fans that you can install over the heatsinks when you swap to water cooling.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
There can be an adverse effect with the change to a vertical oriented heatsink, however the impact varies according to the motherboard cooling design. Where it is likely to have a significant impact, supplementary cooling through additional fans can help, it is also worth noting that current heatpipe cooling designs on motherboards normally place the termination/return point directly in the airflow of the cpu cooler and case exhaust fan.