I am currently having what I think are multiple problems:
1. Generally slow performance of my machine (running Windows XP Home) when
trying to open applications
2. Having to type the full URL "http://www.cnn.com" instead of just
www.cnn.com
3. Unable to open My Computer effectively; it will open, but then can't seem
to find any files

I have thus far:
a) loaded several regedit revisions; one each for 2 & 3 above.
b) ran spyware and virus checks

I had everything fixed, or so I thought, but when I rebooted the computer, I
was back at square one.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

First I would stay away from editing the registry unless you know what you
are doing. I will tell you sounds like you have either malware/spyware and a
few junk files. For the junk files i like CCleaner. You can get this program
free from cnet.com it works well. as for having to type the full line in the
explorer window that is just a setting that you may have changed, I would go
to internet explorere, tools , internet options, advanced tab, then at the
bottom click restore defaults. Have you gone and downloaded microsoft spyware
beta version from the microsoft web site. That works good as well. When you
are done with all the above clean out your cookies, delete files and history,
which are all in t he Internet explorer, tools, internet options. now after
all this I would run a defrag. when done reboot the computer and you should
be good to go.

If you have more questions let me know
matt

"Brizzo" wrote:

> I am currently having what I think are multiple problems:
> 1. Generally slow performance of my machine (running Windows XP Home) when
> trying to open applications
> 2. Having to type the full URL "http://www.cnn.com" instead of just
> www.cnn.com
> 3. Unable to open My Computer effectively; it will open, but then can't seem
> to find any files
>
> I have thus far:
> a) loaded several regedit revisions; one each for 2 & 3 above.
> b) ran spyware and virus checks
>
> I had everything fixed, or so I thought, but when I rebooted the computer, I
> was back at square one.
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Matt,
I went through everything you mentioned below and am still running into the
same problem.

The revisions I made to the registry were to put the original statements
back in the registry as the thought by others in the community was that they
had been changed by some sort of spyware.

"mstout2001" wrote:

> First I would stay away from editing the registry unless you know what you
> are doing. I will tell you sounds like you have either malware/spyware and a
> few junk files. For the junk files i like CCleaner. You can get this program
> free from cnet.com it works well. as for having to type the full line in the
> explorer window that is just a setting that you may have changed, I would go
> to internet explorere, tools , internet options, advanced tab, then at the
> bottom click restore defaults. Have you gone and downloaded microsoft spyware
> beta version from the microsoft web site. That works good as well. When you
> are done with all the above clean out your cookies, delete files and history,
> which are all in t he Internet explorer, tools, internet options. now after
> all this I would run a defrag. when done reboot the computer and you should
> be good to go.
>
> If you have more questions let me know
> matt
>
> "Brizzo" wrote:
>
> > I am currently having what I think are multiple problems:
> > 1. Generally slow performance of my machine (running Windows XP Home) when
> > trying to open applications
> > 2. Having to type the full URL "http://www.cnn.com" instead of just
> > www.cnn.com
> > 3. Unable to open My Computer effectively; it will open, but then can't seem
> > to find any files
> >
> > I have thus far:
> > a) loaded several regedit revisions; one each for 2 & 3 above.
> > b) ran spyware and virus checks
> >
> > I had everything fixed, or so I thought, but when I rebooted the computer, I
> > was back at square one.
> >
> > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Malke

Brizzo wrote:

> Matt,
> I went through everything you mentioned below and am still running
> into the same problem.
>
> The revisions I made to the registry were to put the original
> statements back in the registry as the thought by others in the
> community was that they had been changed by some sort of spyware.
>
> "mstout2001" wrote:
>
>> First I would stay away from editing the registry unless you know
>> what you are doing. I will tell you sounds like you have either
>> malware/spyware and a few junk files.
(snippage)

>> "Brizzo" wrote:
>>
>> > I am currently having what I think are multiple problems:
>> > 1. Generally slow performance of my machine (running Windows XP
>> > Home) when trying to open applications
>> > 2. Having to type the full URL "http://www.cnn.com" instead of just
>> > www.cnn.com
>> > 3. Unable to open My Computer effectively; it will open, but then
>> > can't seem to find any files
>> >
>> > I have thus far:
>> > a) loaded several regedit revisions; one each for 2 & 3 above.
>> > b) ran spyware and virus checks
>> >
>> > I had everything fixed, or so I thought, but when I rebooted the
>> > computer, I was back at square one.
>> >
>> > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Brizzo, if you are still having problems after running antispyware
programs (and there is no way for me to know exactly what you've done),
then your machine probably has some of the nasty spyware like
aurora-nail etc. that replaces itself when deleted. You should run
HijackThis and post your log to *one* of the following forums (not
here, please). Make sure you read the posting FAQ on whatever forum you
choose first:

http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42 -
another tutorial
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Malke,
Just posted to CastleCops; we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

"Malke" wrote:

> Brizzo wrote:
>
> > Matt,
> > I went through everything you mentioned below and am still running
> > into the same problem.
> >
> > The revisions I made to the registry were to put the original
> > statements back in the registry as the thought by others in the
> > community was that they had been changed by some sort of spyware.
> >
> > "mstout2001" wrote:
> >
> >> First I would stay away from editing the registry unless you know
> >> what you are doing. I will tell you sounds like you have either
> >> malware/spyware and a few junk files.
> (snippage)

> Brizzo, if you are still having problems after running antispyware
> programs (and there is no way for me to know exactly what you've done),
> then your machine probably has some of the nasty spyware like
> aurora-nail etc. that replaces itself when deleted. You should run
> HijackThis and post your log to *one* of the following forums (not
> here, please). Make sure you read the posting FAQ on whatever forum you
> choose first:
>
> http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
> Eshelman
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42 -
> another tutorial
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
> http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
> forum
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke,
Finally got everything squared away and cleaned via the folks at CastleCops.
However, still having the same problems:
1. Still have to type the "http://" before all internet addresses, and
2. The computer still takes a long time (1 min. +) to find the drives when I
go to My Computer. However, I do not have the same problems when going to My
Documents.

Thanks,
Brizzo

"Brizzo" wrote:

> Malke,
> Just posted to CastleCops; we'll see what happens.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > Brizzo wrote:
> >
> > > Matt,
> > > I went through everything you mentioned below and am still running
> > > into the same problem.
> > >
> > > The revisions I made to the registry were to put the original
> > > statements back in the registry as the thought by others in the
> > > community was that they had been changed by some sort of spyware.

> > (snippage)

> > Brizzo, if you are still having problems after running antispyware
> > programs (and there is no way for me to know exactly what you've done),
> > then your machine probably has some of the nasty spyware like
> > aurora-nail etc. that replaces itself when deleted. You should run
> > HijackThis and post your log to *one* of the following forums (not
> > here, please). Make sure you read the posting FAQ on whatever forum you
> > choose first:
> >
> > http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
> > Eshelman
> > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42 -
> > another tutorial
> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> > http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
> > http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
> > forum
> > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
> > http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic"

Malke

Brizzo wrote:

> Malke,
> Finally got everything squared away and cleaned via the folks at
> CastleCops.
> However, still having the same problems:
> 1. Still have to type the "http://" before all internet addresses, and
> 2. The computer still takes a long time (1 min. +) to find the drives
> when I
> go to My Computer. However, I do not have the same problems when
> going to My Documents.

Try re-registering initpki.dll.
Start>Run> regsvr32 initpki.dll [enter]

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

Still no luck.

??

"Malke" wrote:

> Brizzo wrote:
>
> > Malke,
> > Finally got everything squared away and cleaned via the folks at
> > CastleCops.
> > However, still having the same problems:
> > 1. Still have to type the "http://" before all internet addresses, and
> > 2. The computer still takes a long time (1 min. +) to find the drives
> > when I
> > go to My Computer. However, I do not have the same problems when
> > going to My Documents.
> >

> Try re-registering initpki.dll.
> Start>Run> regsvr32 initpki.dll [enter]
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

Brizzo wrote:

> Still no luck.
>
> ??
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Brizzo wrote:
>>
>> > Malke,
>> > Finally got everything squared away and cleaned via the folks at
>> > CastleCops.
>> > However, still having the same problems:
>> > 1. Still have to type the "http://" before all internet addresses,
>> > and 2. The computer still takes a long time (1 min. +) to find the
>> > drives when I
>> > go to My Computer. However, I do not have the same problems when
>> > going to My Documents.
>> >

>> Try re-registering initpki.dll.
>> Start>Run> regsvr32 initpki.dll [enter]

Try rebuilding TCP/IP:

If you have SP2 -
Start>Run>netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]

Without SP2, try WinsockXPfix.exe:

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

That one didn't work either.

??

"Malke" wrote:

> Brizzo wrote:
>
> > Still no luck.
> >
> > ??

> >> Try re-registering initpki.dll.
> >> Start>Run> regsvr32 initpki.dll [enter]
>
> Try rebuilding TCP/IP:
>
> If you have SP2 -
> Start>Run>netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
>
> Without SP2, try WinsockXPfix.exe:
>
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

Brizzo wrote:

> That one didn't work either.

Then I'm sorry, but since I can't see the computer I'm out of ideas. I
would suggest you have a local professional take a look, or perhaps
someone else will have a suggestion for you.

Good luck,

Malke