bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I know this is a very outdated system but hopefully someone can help me. I have an old computer runing windows ME. I want to create a new partition on it so i can duel-boot it with linux. However, i can not figure out for the life of me how to do this if it is possible. I know on my vista machine i just created a new parition through a windows program. Is it even possible on windows me? I would like to keep windows as a backup but should i just uninstall windows and start from scratch?

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
You could try and get your hands on Partition Magic or some other 3rd party software to do the partitioning, but 95/98/Me didn't have any in-OS partitioning methods aside from fdisk, which you can't re-size with and would blow your Me partition away.

I'm not a linux knowledgeable person at all, maybe there's software in the linux installer that can do what you want?

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Corret you are going to need to delete your ME-part and use fdisk to create the partitions, if you do not want to lose anything then just add another HDD. Personly i would just take a flashdrive and take what i wanted from the ME machine adn put it on your new system.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'd see about getting a copy of Windows 2000 professional (much more stable to begin with). Otherwise see about Partition Magic (can change HDD size on the fly).

TRENDING THREADS