B3 revision and the bug is still alive

intelamduser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004

I agree that this seems pretty fishy. Who would even have a B3 stepping CPU to test at this point besides AMD's labs?

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I don't trust that source. Mainly because as far as i can remember AMD have said B3 wouldn't be ready until February/March and the fact that their MAIN objective with B3 was to get rid of the TLB bug. I'm sure even Hector wouldn't let them release it without the bug fixed.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
They article states that the "Early Silicone" of B3 has not fixed the bug.
All this means is that AMD has not yet fixed the bug.

Considering that this bug is not a new bug, but a long standing bug that AMD has been working on, it's no surprise they have not yet fixed it.

They are simply stating that AMD is still trying to perfect B3.

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Seems to me that even with early silicon, a bug that they had to stop ship their flagship server procs on would be the FIRST thing fixed - so I wouldn't put too much stock in this info...

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Well, The point of the early silicon is to test the fix.
AMD has known about the bug for since early 2007, but assumed it was speed releated and that is why the first shipping chips were so slow.

Turns out the error was happening in slower chips than AMD imagined so they needed to finally admit the issue.

The problem now is that they still need to fix the bug that they have had for a year. It's likely not a simple fix, but could be more of a design issue.

More and More it appears to be a minor issue at worst for desktops who could be set to ignore the error and most will rarely or never see the problem.

The big issue is on the server side where AMD is a big player in the virtualization market where the big is most seen. Here they really need to get it fixed.

I would not be surprised if AMD does release a "B3" type revision on the desktop that lacks the fix if they can get enough other goodies into the rev to make it work while.

intelamduser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004

Why would Intel spend any money having someone write a negitive article about AMD? AMD supplies this for free and has for the last year.

ryman554

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006

I make no claims about the accuracy of said article.

However, B3 HAS to be alive and well at this stage of the game if AMD hopes to sell in 1-2 months time. There will be ES of this stepping. Otherwise, you can't do the required in-house testing. The only difference between B3 ES and saleable B3 is, well, they package it for sale. (I am convienently ignoring subtle manufacturing process tweaks here). Either the logic works or it don't.

It is quite possible that the fix for the TLB bug will not appear in B3. As Baron is fond of saying, CPUs are VERY complicated. Even wtih the brightest minds, they might not get it right the first (or second time). That would blow for AMD, but it's not as if there aren't good, solid engineers workign long hours on the problem.

It is also quite possible that this is FUD.

But, it is impossible for the B3 stepping NOT to exist at this point in time.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

I disagree. That would just mean that B3 gets delayed. A very familiar thing with AMD.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

He has already,,,

and guess what hes dissed it......

Come on everyone else who sleeps in the past with there Durons and Semprons........

AMD sure cant muck up again can they.................PMSL

Cant they get anything right

ryman554

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006

Then, what exactly, has AMD been doing? B3 exists. All B3 is is the designation for a particular circuit design, committed to reticles (and the fab). This includes the fix promised after B2 back in December. If the "fix" is found wanting on B3, they need to respin the silicon -- basically edit their design -- giving rise to a new stepping.

If Phenom gets delayed, that means they need to move on to B4 (or B5, or C0).

Unless the TLB bug is purely process-based.. in this case, they don't need to respin silicon but rather improve their process. That won't require a new stepping, but the B3 stepping (in whatever poor form it might be in) will still certainly exist.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking nits..

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
..........Damn this would be the time to forget where I read that only today did AMD get it's first B3 stepping silicon from the Fabs. So it would be kinda impossible for a b3 ES to be in anyone but AMD labs to have them.

ryman554

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006

Well, now this is quite likely. Nobody wants their ES samples out in the wild if they are "less than mature". However, these things can easily migrate to OEMs to get their testing -- in fact that's quite common. Intel is known to provide A0 silicon at times to OEMs... Not too much of a stretch from there to somebody else's grubby little hands. AMD won't be happy about it, but they don't have much choice at this stage of the game. We all know how well AMD fared when hoarding all the Barcy ES to themselves and not letting the OEMs in on the action...

But to argue B3 does not exist...

randomizer

Champion

Does Intel need to do that? Come on, they are already waiting for AMD to catch up.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

+1

Best,

3Ball

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Perhaps he truly does beleive what hes spouting. I know a guy who insists that he had sex with Cleopatra and she was horrible in bed... or couch... or whatever they used in Anceint Egypt.

Do you think that maybe Baron is afraid to show up? Could it have goten through even to him that AMD is now Three Stooges Micro?