Quadro FX 5600 and/or 8800 Ultra

florinicka

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Hi, i'd really like to see a test between Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 and 8800 Ultra, SLI or not, really doesn't matter, but i'm so much curious to see the difference.

Anybody can help or can say me how to ask here to be made suc a review?

Many, many thanks!

futurepastnow

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
The hardware (except maybe for amount of memory) is identical. Quoth the Wiki:

"Many of these cards use the same chipset as the game- and action-oriented GeForce video cards by NVIDIA. The difference comes in the firmware controlling the card. Given the importance of speed in a game, a system used for gaming can shut down textures, shading, or rendering after only approximating a final output in order to keep the overall frame-rate high. The algorithms on a CAD-oriented card are more likely to complete all rendering operations, even if that introduces delays or variations in the timing."

Meaning the workstation card will be slower (much slower) at games because it emphasizes accuracy in rendering at the expense of speed. Quadro cards are also optimized for OpenGL instead of DirectX.

florinicka

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Ok, it might be so, but i read a lot about quadro and their are a few things that differ, what you say i've seen already, but i'm more interested about a direct test, points earned, something to see for real, because if i find a review about quadro from last year on a site, and a 8800 review on another, configurations on witch are made are different for sure and that means i can't really see what is is and what's not.
Also, Quadro FX 5600 & 4600 i know are only the old one 5500 and 4500 only with a DX10 support. But i really don't care i want to see a test between them, same platform, same configuration, direct results.
Need to see! :bounce:

navvara

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
8800Ultra will suck (sort off) at professional workstation apps such as Maya and 3ds max but will excell at games.

Quadro 5600 will excell at professional apps such as the above but will more or less suck at modern pixel shader oriented games.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
That sounds like an interesting test. I wonder what it'd 3dMark? Since it's not optimized for gaming, I wonder how far it will go down the line, or if at all. I'd love to see some benchies myself.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
You can soft-mod the card into a quadro with Riva tuner...then run your 3d programs to see if there is a difference...if there is then buy the cheaper Ultra...if not then buy the Quadro...I eman IF you want to buy them, otherwise why bother comparing them because the Quadro is designed for 3d programs and not necessarily games.

zonkerman

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

I would also be very curious about the difference in the latest Quadros and 8800 Ultra. I currently play Everquest 2 with an NVidia Quadro 3450, a much lower performing card than the 5600. I have the 3450 because I do some work in detailed 3D image renderings that are not game related. However, I did not want to spend money on a Game PC so I also use the same PC for some games. Nearly everyone who has seen me play Everquest 2 on my PC with the Quadro comments on the visual quality being beyond what they have seen on other PCs. I have seen other PCs playing this game with an NVidia 8800GT and even the latest ATI 4870 and my personal opinion is that the game still does look visually more attractive with my old NVidia 3450. You can see samples of how the games looks for me at the following YouTube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67r7vGk7m5U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1TJhb48x0

However, not all is well. While I can play the game and marvel at the visual appeal as I play a solo character, the moment I group with multiple other players the performance drops so far down that the screen becomes very choppy or displays extreme stuttering. I am forced to lower the visual quality down to what Everquest 2 calls "Balanced" mode. This is one step down from "High Quality" mode. Since my card is about 4 years old, I can't help but wonder if the advancements in Quadros have added so much more power into them that maybe something like the Quadro 5600 can play Everquest 2 in "High Quality" mode when grouped with multiple characters all creating their own special effects on screen. I have thought about buying the new NVidia GTX280, hoping that maybe it will player Everquest 2 in "High Quality" mode while grouped with others and at the same time, but I'm worreid that even a GTX280 will not make the game screens look as visually striking as a Quadro.

I think there are a lot of players out there that are not interested in super fast frame rates for games. We are not all trying to frag someone or something. Some of us just want something that makes the game look good at a reasonable frame rate. Myself, I wouldn't mind playing Everquest 2 at a framerate between 30 and 40 if it meant I could enjoy ultra good looking images. I really don't care about moving at 60 or more frames per second, which is what all the reviews these days seem to focus on, how fast or how many frames per second.