Whining sound coming from PSU

captainspork

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
For the past month or so there's been a high pitched whining sound coming from my Antec Smart Power 500W PSU. I've noticed that if I plug in a chargeable USB device like my cell phone the pitch changes. When I turn off the computer the sound is more audible. When I turn off the power supply the pitch fluctuates a bunch before it finally goes silent.

Is this a sign that my power supply is on its way out? I'm going to be ordering a new case and CPU today, wondering if I should replace my PSU as well. I don't mind the sound as I guess I've become accustomed to it but if its going to fail soon then obviously it needs to be replaced.

Thanks!

captainspork

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
I don't think the fan is the issue, I've tried blasting compressed air in there with no effect.

The noise continues even after the computer is switched off but the PSU remains turned on (meaning its fan isn't spinning). I'm thinking some electrical component in there is the culpret.

Superfly1971

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
The only thing that is moving in the PS is the fan. Getting that out there the fan is making the noise although it may not be dust it most likely is the fan bearing. If you or anyone in the house is a smoker then tar from the smoke may be building up on the blades. When the fan is not balanced it will be noisy. If you determine its not a balance problem and is actually coming from the PS then replace it but not with the junk Antec PS you have now. I am guessing you bought it at Best Buy they like Antec crap. I place Antec in the same quality as ChiefMax.