Problem with ga-p35-ds3l not loading boot disc?

airness

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
G-paw asked me to post this in a new thread. So here it is.

Hey I think I might have a similar problem. This is my first post on Toms and didn't know where else to turn to. Been trying to fix this 24/7 for the past few days.

I got a ga-p35-ds3l with e6550.
2 SATA HD (SATA A/ SATA B), 1 that has XP (I wanna install vista now)
2 ATA HD, 1 Hooked up. until i get the IDE cable with the xtra connector
1 pioneer dvr-111d.

I set one of the SATA A to first disk boot priority because it has the original XP OS on it but set the cd-rom as first boot device. I put vista in but it won't boot. I'm not sure if its bios settings or something but I've just been frustrated lately because I've tried everything.

Further info: I've set the IDE HD as master and the cd-rom as slave. So jumper settings are right. If i disconnect the IDE HD and just leave SATA A connected, then it always gives me disk boot failure when i try to boot disc in cd-rom.

However If i connect everything together then sometimes it will load to desktop but whenever I use it, it will randomly blank screen and cpu usage will strike for no reason.

Drive is not faulty because I tried with a different cd-drive. same errors. Not faulty HDs either because I've tried to set other HDs as first priority so maybe I can install OS to there. Still no luck.

Really need and will appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007

RIght now which do u have as first boot? Sata HD or the Dvd drive? Is the dvd drive ide?

Keep your SATA HD as first boot prioirty. THere is no need to put the dvd drive first because you can press f12 when you u start ur system and select to boot from the dvd drive. For now, you can disconnect your IDE HD, just keep you IDE Dvd drive connected (it is IDE right?)

airness

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
I have SATA A, first to boot. CD-ROM is IDE.

The SATA HD is first boot priority in the list of hard drives. But i put the CD Drive as first boot device. Yes I've tried disconnecting my IDE HD and keep my IDE DVD Drive and set that to master. Thing is it gives me "Boot Disk Failure, Please insert _____." Ironically this has happened with 1 other cd-drive that i tested it with.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
Do you have achi enabled or disabled in bios? Keep that disabled.

Im not sure what it can be. There is also SATA Port0-1 Native Mode, keep that disabled too.

For boot sequence, just keep the hard drive (sata one) as first. Put the cd rom 2nd or 3rd. When you load the system, press f12 and then load the cd rom option ( i think u would have tried this).

You said you had 2 sata drives, just keep one connected, and the cd rom connected.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007

you dont have to worry bout formatting right now. That can be done during vista installation. You first have to get vista dvd to boot

airness

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
I just did the disable 0-1 native mode. Before I started this thread, I actually tried to install XP via desktop/run cd mode. And it wouldnt finish because it said some file was missing. Now at the prompt screen ,it says NTLDR is missing. But that can be rid of once I get the disk to boot. Tried windows xp disc also and its been same problem.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
Just having a look at the ds3l manual. Your sata drives ,A and B would be master 1,2 etc. From what i can see (in the manual) there is 1 slave only. Can you set the cd drive to slave. Just keep 1 sata drive as Ide master, and have the cd drive and Ide slave (leave rest disconnected)
btw, you can put the other sata drive (B) instead. The xp installed one you can nuke it later

airness

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
I just tried it and it did not work. I got the 2 SATAs in. SATA A(one with OS) is on SATA1 slot. SATA B(empty drive pretty much) in SATA0. I set SATA B to boot priority and set the IDE HD as master and IDE Drive as slave. Tried to boot from cd-rom but it says NTLDR missing.

Ok here is what you do. Run XP repair on that disk (boot with XP CD and Press "R"). Then try installing Vista. If this fails, wipe out the drive and try installing Vista. If the XP was installed on that HDD from another PC then this is your problem.

airness

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Yes i did do an xp install on SATA A from another pc. But even so, shouldnt all boot disks work? How can i run xp repair when the xp disk dont boot and neither does the vista disk?

airness

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Please ask me how I have everything set up. I just want to be 100 percent sure and I pretty much am.

Got the master end of my IDE cable connected to my dvr-111d. But i got the jumper settings set to slave. Got the slave end connected to my IDE HD but i got the setting as master.

Everytime I press f12 to go to boot menu, I tell it to boot my cd-rom but it doesn't do that because it just goes straight to looking for OS/missing files on my SATAs. I still have one IDE HD left not connected to anything because my ide cable needs that extra connector. Maybe I have to connect EVERYTHING?

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
are boths your sata drives the same size? I mean you could leave the Sata A (which has xp) and unplug that. Keep Sata B in the Sata0 slot. Have the cd drive also plugged in (as slave, 4 i think it was) and see if you can boot. Later when you have vista installed, just plug in Sata A and wipe it out.

Are you still getting boot disk failure? To make sure the cd drive boots, just press f12 and select it.

airness

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
No. SATA A is 250gigs, SATA B is 500 gigs. I've only connected SATA B without the OS on it. Have also set IDE HD as master and IDE CDROM as slave. Still doesnt work even if i do f12 and tell it to boot from cdrom. Now funny thing is that it still tries to go to this screen to try and choose from XP Pro and XP Pro setup. I tried to install xp via disc before I tried to reformat. But i thought it wouldnt have mattered because I could just try to reformat.

Interesting. My best recommendation is you wipe out the entire drive with some thing like SeaTools DOS or Killdisk.but before you do that try booting with a Linux live CD (like Ubantu). If Linux fails to boot then you have a possible problem with the CD drive.

airness

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Heh, i really think it is the board. I'm not sure why I have to pay for the shipping label back to Newegg for RMA.

Last Diagnoistic before RMA: Mobo recognizes every hardware. Just won't boot my boot disk even if i do f12. All correct jumper settings and what not.

angusbeef

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I just bought a GA-P35-ds3l motherboard to replace a faulty ECS board. I found this thread searching for solutions to the same problem as airness. The motherboard seemed to be ignoring any bootable discs in either of my IDE DVD drives, even if I pressed f12 and selected CD Drive. I found out that there is a setting in the BIOS that was the cause of the behavior.

Under Standard CMOS Features, IDE channel 4 is the IDE controller. Select the channel that the IDE dvd drive is connected to and set "Extend IDE Drive" to auto.

Once I did this, I was able to boot from the IDE dvd drive. Obviously this is too late for airness to try, but hopefully someone else searching for a solution to the same problem will find this helpful.

Rogan

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008

You Sir, are a man without equal.

That problem was driving me mad before I found your post!