Acer 4500 HD Recovery from CD Failed Now Stuck in a Loop

Karol G

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Hi, I wanted to sell my acer travelmate 4500 laptop and although it was running well I decided to set it back to factory setting. Tried Alt +F10 as per manual but it would not do anything. I did do the factory reset on this laptop about 18 months ago using Alt + F10 and it worked fine. Anyway, it wouldn't do anything (I checked the bios and D2D was enabled) so I did the recovery using the discs supplied by acer. First I had to set the bios to boot from cd. All went well. First the system disk, then 2 recovery discs, then back to system disc to finish. It says it has finished the recovery and asks me to click on "OK" however the trackpad doesn't work, neither did a mouse, so there is no way to click the “OK” and the only key that works is the "Enter" key.

When I press the “Enter” key windows tries to start then says " Fatal Error Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. Windows must now shut down". I have checked that the bios has been put back to start from hard drive. I have tried redoing the recovery from the acer discs but the first disc (system disc) justs says it is completing setup - the first time it started the recovery. I can't get it to restart the recovery process again.
Before doing all this, the only problem with the laptop was that using the built in wireless card causes the computer to crash. There is an on off button on the front but instead of using that I disabled the wireless card via device manager and have been using a Netgear wireless notebook adapter instead. It's possible that the onboard wireless came on enabled during the recovery and somehow caused my problem. However, this was a problem existed when I last did an F10 + Alt recovery 18 months ago and it worked ok.

The laptop is running windows XP professional. I only have the Acer discs. They did not supply a proper windows XP disc with the laptop. I have an XP Home Edition disc from a different PC. Could I use that disc to reinstall windows on the Acer using the Acer’s XP product key. The Acer has it’s XP product key on a label underneath the laptop.

Any advice please.

I don't think that the home edition will install with the acer key, but I think that if you reformat and load the home edition, then use the home edition key it will work.
Clue: register the home edition over the phone instead of the internet.

Huh?

XP home and pro keys do not interchange.

I would try the restore disks again. It may have just been a buggy install.

If it doesn't work, you need to find an XP pro OEM install disk. That is the disk your key will work with. But you will need to get the drivers from either ACER or the original chipset manufacturer.