Sign in with
Your question

Can't change timimg on Compaq Bios! Please Help!

Last response: in Memory
January 30, 2008 5:13:50 PM

Hello. I purchased a CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for my Compaq Presario SR5023WM... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docn... which uses an Asus motherboard model called IVY (Asus' website has no info on this board). Here is a link for Compaq/HP of the board... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docn.... I love the dimms, there are great but I can't seem to get its memory timimg to its tested settings of...

DDR Clock: 800
SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T
DRAM Voltage: 2.1v
TRC: 24

When I run CPU-Z it reads as:

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 18T
TRC: 23
Don't what the voltage is set to.

When I enter the bios there is no settings for changing Ram Timimgs. I read elsewhere about how Compaq computers hide these settings in the bios. I talked to there helpdesk and they said the same. They did told me to try a key combination with the F10 key to enter the bios and all it did was give a couple of more options on the bios but not what I was looking for. I have the latest Bios from Compaq support and don't if I want to flash my bios or even try any other modification program to enable, unlock or add other menus the bios. I don't know what to do. Has anyone had any success in changing the timimgs on a compaq or other OEM PC or even know of a way to get around this. Anything would help. Please Advice. Thanks.
January 30, 2008 5:42:49 PM

I had one about two years ago and replaced everything in it to where now their is nothing left. I actually went as far as going to some company that claimed to be able to send me a newer bios revision that would unlock these options and they lied. I got my money back and just replaced the board with an after market and wula the settings were there to change now lol. Long story short no you can not give up lol.
January 30, 2008 5:43:07 PM

surprise, surprise..

you bought a mass marketed pc.. they nueter the bios's in them for a reason, and that is to keep people from screwing up settings that will cause them (their tech support) more pain in the rump than its worth. Now, I am not saying you are not knowledgable enough to do that, but the vast majority (95%+) of the pc users out there dont know a damn about the more advanced stuff in the bios.
Related resources
January 30, 2008 5:45:11 PM

This is the hell that comes with buying a computer off the shelf. Compaq, HP, Gateway, Dell, etc, they all (with the exception of some of their top of the line models) come with severely crippled BIOS's. Those variables you want to change could be made to overclock the entire system, so if you paid for a 2ghz pc, they dont want you to be able to overclock it to 3ghz and get the extra performance for free. Plus they dont want people messing their PC's up and have to fix them under warrenty. But its mostly because they want you to pay more for a faster PC than overclock the cheap one they sold you.
January 30, 2008 6:38:05 PM

AFAIK, The BIOS update from "eSupport" unlocks Overclocking on off-the-shelf computers.

I actually found this site baked into EVEREST 2007... (Mmmh, baked.)
"Are you looking for a BIOS Upgrade? Contact eSupport Today!" - Creepy. :??: 

http://scan.esupport.com/

Does anybody have any experience with them?
January 30, 2008 7:02:23 PM

Hey, unfortunately, as has been stated already, the options for doing that are most likely not available in the bios. there is a chance a software overclocking utility would be able to work with your bios and you would be able to adjust those settings, no guarantees about that though. However, with the ram running at 5-5-5-18, thats not horrible, its still decent.
January 30, 2008 7:32:28 PM

As fordry04 stated, "there is a chance a software overclocking utility would be able to work". I would suggest looking at SysTool from TechPowerUp.
!