Sign in with
Your question

Desktop no icons taskbar start button

Last response: in Windows XP
June 2, 2010 12:38:04 AM

The desktop in my daughter's Inspiron 6000(4 years old machine. WindowsXP home) has no icons, taskbar or start button. This began yesterday morning. No new downloads before this started. Trojan removed two months ago from the system and has been working well since.
Problem seems to be common going by my search but the only solution that everyone seems to be leading to eventually is a repair re-install.
Have tried reinstalling explorer.exe to no avail. I only get a one second flash of the taskbar. Any suggestions before doing the re-install? BTW, checked for new malware, the system is clean.
Thanks
June 2, 2010 1:01:42 AM

Don_59 said:
The desktop in my daughter's Inspiron 6000(4 years old machine. WindowsXP home) has no icons, taskbar or start button. This began yesterday morning. No new downloads before this started. Trojan removed two months ago from the system and has been working well since.
Problem seems to be common going by my search but the only solution that everyone seems to be leading to eventually is a repair re-install.
Have tried reinstalling explorer.exe to no avail. I only get a one second flash of the taskbar. Any suggestions before doing the re-install? BTW, checked for new malware, the system is clean.
Thanks

Hold on, you scaned for malware using what? Not all scans were created equal.
try Wait try wait wait: Try all four of these before doing a repair install, without reformatting the drive, without erasing the personal files.
Something you downloaded willingly or unwillingly infected your computer, probably with a virus, or an update corrupted the files.
click start, click all programs, can you see your programs list?
right click on the desktop, (not on an icon) left click on: arrange icons by, left click on: show desktop icons, does any of that work?

If you were able to see your list of programs as above, try running system restore
first:
Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calender, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calender and repeat the procedure
If it does not work, repeat, try this with at least four earlier bold dates before giving up and trying something else

Tigsounds suggests this:
(This is not available in Windows XP Home Edition)

Click....

Start
Run
enter this: Gpedit.msc
Click: Ok
Maximize the screen
Under "User Configuration," expand "Administrative Templates" (Click the plus sign)
Click on "Desktop"
In the right window pane, notice the first non-folder entry says "Hide and Disable all items on the Desktop"
Right-click that item and select "Properties"
set to "Not Configured" or "Disabled"
click Ok

See if it makes things come back to normal. No guarantees here, but this needs to be verified as Not the problem.
m
l
!