780i cold boot problem

dinnerplate

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I've got my 780i brand spankin' new, installed, but there's just one problem: it won't cold boot, ever. i leave it off for an appreciable amount of time and press the power button and here's what happens:

-all fans start spinning normally
-comp. makes a nice healthy boot beep
-power and HD LEDs don't come on
-monitor blank
-motherboard LED codes go through as they normally would (ending at FF - meaning successful boot)
-try waiting for a few minutes to see if i hear windows startup sounds but doesn't happen

but if i press the reset button or restart (warm boot), then everything works as they should - LEDs all on, monitor on, windows boots, etc. so really, it just comes down to a cold boot problem.

and it only happens when the computer's been off overnight. no problems if it's only been off for an hour or two.

this is actually my third build - my first two were with the MSI P6N-Platinum, and they had the same problem. i tried isolating the problem by changing out components: from a Silverstone 850W to a Thermaltake 1200W, from Patriot to Corsair to Gskill, from X-Fi Xtreme Audio to X-Fi Gamer, and from P6N Platinum to XFX 780i.

the only components in common at all times were:
-the 750GB HD
-SATA DVD Drive
-CPU
-2 EVGA 8800GTs in SLI

and i've updated the bios to the most recent one.

questions:
-someone told me that increasing the memory voltage from stock 1.8 to 2.1 or 2.2 could help. i haven't done that yet, but can that actually help?
-could it be the SATA DVD drive? i heard something about that too
-has anybody had any problems like this when overclocking, but not when it's just stock?

ANY help at all would be appreciated here. i'll update with any discoveries. thanks!

jsantagato01

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008

jsantagato01

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
i have this exact same problem happen. I am still trying to figure this out for months. This never happpend with my EVGA 680i. Only on the 780i. I have a Q6600 OCed to 3.94ghz. But you nailed this problem right on the button. email me at asantagato@satx.rr.com and we can talk more about it. Thanks.

G

i had exactly the same problem on my msi 780i, i do not know exactly what sorted it bu0t here is my hunch, the first thing i did was to reinstall windows it seemed to like a fresh install, the second thing i did was to set the dimm reference to 50% of the dimm voltage manually, for some strange reason it boots everytime, this means in my head it must be the reference voltages for the ram that are playing up, by the way my system is a q6600@3.4 (378x9)
vid 1.31 + .175
mem volt 2.2
fsb term 1.252 (vtt)
nb term 68%
cpu term 65%
eist enabled
c1e enabled
fsb linked to ram at 378x2 (ddr2 756mhz)timings 5-5-5-18 2t