22-inch LCD

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I am looking for a new 22-inch LCD to replace my Dell Ultra Sharp 19-inch.

I read that Samsung 226bw is good but these reviews are a few months old. Is 226bw still the 22-inch monitor to get?

Also, I read that there are few 3 panel types and S panel is the better panel. How can I ensure it's a S panel?

You can't ensure it's S, AFAIK. Some people say it doesn't really matter anyway, you just make slightly different adjustments first time in the Color correction app.

You could also try a 216BW (21.6"). I have one and like it very much.

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I was thinking about getting same samsung 226bw monitor, I have heard nothing but good things about it. on newegg it got 4x Winner of Customer Choice Award

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
most 22 inch is TN panel which is good for game, bad for movie or edit picture, and most 22 inch res: 1600*1200, not for turn HD 1080P.
for the panel question: tn is 6 bits, so 16.2 millions color
s panel: 16.7 millions, and cost will tell too.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
My mom just bought a 226BW for the new computer I built for her. I helped her set everything up and have to say, that monitor looks great. You won't be disappointed.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I had the same issue a month or so ago when I built my new rig. Very similar older monitor too :) I have the Dell 1905 FP that I wanted to upgrade to widescreen. When I went out to test the 226BW at my local Best Buy, they didn't have it in stock anymore. However, they have the 226CW, which I ended up getting and it's beautiful.

I have heard that it is luck of the draw on the 226 BW as far as what panel you get. Depending on how picky your eye is, you may not even notice the difference between them. I can't say if the CW has the same "panel gamble" as the BW, but I can only assume it does. I've been impressed so far tho :)

amddiesel

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

22 wide 1680x1050

rockyjohn

Distinguished

Man I would hate to lose half a million colors and only have 16.2 million. That's so B&W in comparison. Stone age stuff.

All TN panels are 6-bit panels, period. They only produce 262k "real" colors.

Some may claim 8-bit, but the extra 2-bits is used for the dithering process. Dithering "blends" color to make up the remaining 16.5 million colors. The claim of 16.7 million colors is pure BS.

While it is possible to manufacture an 8-bit TN panels it will be:

1. More expensive than a 6-bit panel.
2. Slower. The more "real" colors the panel needs to create, the slower the response time. That is why MVA / PVA / IPS panels are generally slower than TN panels.

corvetteguy666

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Supposedly they discontinued the other types due to low margins.

I'm deciding whether i should get a 24" now just to get a good panel, though i don't really know if TN is as bad as they say.

Pigs

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
I own an Acer AL2216WBD. Cheap budget TN panel.

The thing is I expected a cheap panel, some light bleed, several off colors, uneven backlighting, black sucks, etc, etc.

During black scenes when the light's off you can REALLY tell the uneven backlighting (more light in the center). When looking at websites with solid colors (like orange) the orange will seem darker in other areas. Backlight bleed is not really that bad unless you're staring at complete black (e.g. Pan's Labyrinth or other movies/games). Black isn't black, however you can really only tell if you're comparing it to another black object then it will seem a bit light (don't worry it's not gray) just a very very light black.
The good parts:
-Cheap
-Works well for just everyday tasks, some gaming here and there, browsing, etc.
-It's big, I like the pixels and the additional VGA (hooking up an ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuner)

Well I don't do work where the right color is crucial, but if you're really sensitive to something that isn't perfect when it comes to color, or if you need to edit images/movies then get a better panel like the Samsung or a CRT. However, this panel is made to be low-quality, hence "budget monitor" but it serves me well and I like it. Despite the 2 dead pixels, which I can't even see even when the background under it is white.

-----------

Otherwise, my friend has a 226BW but it looks nice,but I can't say much though it seems like it's a much better panel. So you should get the 226B/CW if you don't like any of the things I posted on the top.

:lol: :lol: I'll type them and e-mail them to you, have a little patience.

@OP: if you have the cash, look at Samsung 275T. Currently $900 at FutureShop and BestBuy. 27", 1920x1200, a very nice panel, etc. Too bad I'm broke right now, but I'll get a tax refund in April and I'm buying one :)

coolvoodoo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I have the HP W2207 and it looks fantastic! I smile every time I see it sitting on my desk. The HP has a glossy screen (like some laptops) and if you don't have a glare problem where you will have the monitor, it's great. It really makes the colors pop! It does reflect light, though, so if you have a light behind you (I don't) and the screen is black, it works like a mirror. Samsung also makes a 22" glossy screen model. I use a SOYO 24" LCD widescreen and a Viewsonic 22" LCD widescreen at work right next to each other and the 24" SOYO has better color, brightness, and contrast compared to the 22" TN panel. They sell the SOYO 24" for as low as $300 (once I saw it for $250), but it does not have HDCP. If you have the $450-$600 for a 24" with HDCP I would go with that. Otherwise, I think all the 22" widescreen LCD screens are about the same because of the TN panels, but they are lots cheaper and look pretty good. Find one with the features you like.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Where have you seen the SOYO 24" for $300? I have no need for HDCP, unless I want to watch HD DVD or Blue Ray movies. Is that the only reason to get an HDCP LCD is for watching HD DVD's?