Need professional help

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
Hey everyone, I'm currently looking into starting some electronic music and I have a cheap midi keyboard that I will be soon upgrading. Right now my PC doesn't have a dedicated sound card nor a midi input. Could anyone recommend a solution? I'll consider all price ranges, I'm also a gamer and not a very serious musician. I just want a good sound card that I can hook up my keyboard to and get good clear quality. Thanks

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I have a friend that does exactly this (he also has a degree in Music tech.) so i'll have a word with him and see what he recommends!

I'll probably have a reply for you by this evening.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
M-AUDIO Delta 1010LT 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface 10-In-10-Out PCI Virtual Studio

Features:
8 x 8 analog I/O
2 mic preamps or line inputs
S/PDIF digital I/O (coaxial) with 2-channel PCM
SCMS copy protection control
digital I/O supports surround-encoded AC-3 and DTS pass-through
1 x 1 MIDI I/O
directly drive up to 7.1 surround (bass management software included)
software controlled 36-bit internal DSP digital mixing/routing
+4dbu/-10dBV operation individually switched in software
word clock I/O for sample accurate device synchronization

Compatibility:
ASIO 2
MME
Sound Manager
OMS
DirectX
GSIF 2
Mac OS X Core Audio / Core MIDI

I haven't done hardly any midi stuff hardware wise, but that looks interesting to me. :D

tlmck

Distinguished
If you live near a Guitar Center, they have folks that can help. You could also try the web site http://www.guitarcenter.com

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I avoid M-Audio like the plague. Their equipment is priced almost too good to be true, and unforutunately, it is.

Check out the Firebox from PreSonus, it's an overall better setup for your money than Creative E-MU, although E-MU works quite nicely if you're on a tight budget. Frontier Designs have some good options too.

If you're really serious, head over to this website: http://www.pcmus.com/ - They sell custome built PCs, but the site itself is very informative.