Sign in with
Your question

I'll Ask here ~ Please Help! ~ Need New Monitor!

Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2007 1:40:44 AM

I shouldn't say "need" but I definately want something new.

I have been using a 17" CRT for years and am ready for an upgrade.

I have been looking at 22" monitors, mostly because of the "720p" capabilities.

I do a lot of gaming, watch some tv shows/movies via Netflix and then normal browsing/web design.

So many people recommend the 226BW from Samsumg, BUT there are so many monitors that are $50 -$100 less that get stellar reviews as well on newegg. A lot of which come from gamers as well.

What recommendations do you guys have? I have looked at almost all of them, but just can't make a decision. I feel drawn to the 226BW, but the only thing holding me back is the price and the fact that it seems to be the thing "everyone is doing" lol.

I'm a fan of viewsonic monitors, but there seems to be some good Acer's out there as well as a Chimei (wtf...) that do well on newegg.

Thanks in advance!
I would ask in the LCD forum, but no one ever goes there :( 

More about : monitor

December 30, 2007 2:15:46 AM

Samsung, Acer, and Viewsonic, my choices in that order.
I have a 19" widescreen Samsung that I like very much, and when it's time to upgrade I will go with a new Samsung.
December 30, 2007 2:28:25 AM

I have that Samsung 226BW, it is the best monitor I have ever owned. You will love it coming from a 17" CRT. I do a ton of movie watching on it and it works out perfect.
Related resources
December 30, 2007 2:56:43 AM

bobbknight said:
Samsung, Acer, and Viewsonic, my choices in that order.
I have a 19" widescreen Samsung that I like very much, and when it's time to upgrade I will go with a new Samsung.

lol, stop telling me that!

I'm trying my damndest to find one a little bit cheaper and still great quality!! :bounce:  :lol: 
a b C Monitor
December 30, 2007 3:06:51 AM

The Samsung 226BW is the best 22" out there. If I wasn't in the market for a 24" or bigger, I would get one.
December 30, 2007 3:37:21 AM

i got a westing house 22" abd a samsung 19" both are very comparable in clarity, but first things first do you have a good enough video card to even handle 22" resolutions and if you do, then just get a well rated low response time <5ms and good contrast ratio monitor, all the brands listed above are good, but personally im not a fan of acer, ive recently heard some decient things about Hanns-g but i do like westing house, and you gotta watch out with samsung because someitmes they let crap companies manufactor their boards and you can get a shotty monitor
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
December 30, 2007 3:37:49 AM

If you can't afford Samsung try LG.
December 30, 2007 3:43:44 AM

lg isnt bad either, but their not all that cheap either
December 30, 2007 4:13:11 AM

Take a look at the HP w2207. I have the w2007 since it was a bit cheaper. Both looked fantastic in store.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
December 30, 2007 4:42:14 AM

Monitors are best bought locally, so you can check for dead pixels. Kyosuke, you might find some nice Boxing Week sales at your local stores if you hurry. In my area for example FutureShop has a 216BW on sale for much less than I paid a few months ago.
December 30, 2007 6:26:01 AM

It's not about not being able to afford it, it's just a matter of trying to find one a tad bit cheaper, so I can get more goodies as well ;)  lol.

For instance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And

And

And

all 4 of those are highly rated 22" monitors and have several people who game, etc. giving them high marks.
Just trying to get the best bang for my buck without overkilling it necesarily. I mean, are the differences that huge to make a noticeable difference?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
December 30, 2007 9:55:33 PM

I don't know... Between my two monitors (LG 20" and Samsung 21.6") there is only one serious difference: the Samsung can be rotated, while the LG has a fixed base. I wouldn't say it's huge, but it is very convenient.

The Samsung also came with the DVI cable inside, while the LG made me go to the store again to buy the stupid cable separately.

On the other hand, Samsung's on/off button is on the front and it has an annoying blue light.

Read the specs carefully on those newegg pages and see if there are any silly things like that...

As far as image quality, I'm not complaining of either. They don't look exactly the same, but that can be adjusted in nVidia Control Panel. Neither of them looked exactly as I wanted when using the default settings anyway.
December 30, 2007 10:42:11 PM

For 24' lcd, take a look at BenQ FP241W, probably one of the best 24' panels you can get, google it! if you get the samung its a tn panel and compared to anything else not a tn they are sub-par.
December 30, 2007 11:08:41 PM

how about if upgrade to a 22'' CRT from a year 2004 ViewSonic or Samsung. These monitors are much better in colors and detail than any lcd. You will be gaming higher than 1920x1080 with a much, much, better image quality.
Crt should attemp designing a crt as almost the size of a lcd, once this happen, lcd is out of business.
December 31, 2007 2:36:25 AM

Dont get the Samsung 226BW, get the HP W2207.

I recently updated my entire pc, spending nearly 4Grand, and now I needed a Monitor.

I went to Circuit City and how lucky I was, the Samsung 226BW and HP W2207 were right next to each other.

They had the same components inside, and the HP looked so much brighter and smoother. I got the HP W2207 and it is outstanding in games, movies, videos, and everything.

Also you can move the HP screen up and down, and tilt it back and fourth.

There you go...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jspskuId=8294035&st...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType...
December 31, 2007 2:44:02 AM

kyosuke said:
It's not about not being able to afford it, it's just a matter of trying to find one a tad bit cheaper, so I can get more goodies as well ;)  lol.

all 4 of those are highly rated 22" monitors and have several people who game, etc. giving them high marks.
Just trying to get the best bang for my buck without overkilling it necesarily. I mean, are the differences that huge to make a noticeable difference?

If I were you, I would buy local as those prices don't seem much less than ones you could find in a good local store. But, if they really are that much cheaper than local, choose the cheapest out of those. Just keep in mind if you have any issues, you then have to deal with possible shipping costs and being without a monitor while it's an RMA and you wait to see what happens.

I think if you buy an LCD monitor online, it is better to go as cheap as possible but choose a brand name like Samsung, LG, Acer etc. Many of these companies share LCD panels so once in a while you get a bad apple even if you choose a brand name but hopefully, it's less often than a lesser name brand that gets the leftover panels.

I like Samsung and LG but beware, even these top brands might have issues such as backlight bleeding. Although, it's usually not too noticeable. Just something to keep in mind. I think Acers are quite commonplace. I would see if a local one would be cheaper.
!