Sign in with
Your question

3850 vista vs xp performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2008 1:29:47 AM

i recently purchased a radeon 3850 and am waiting for it to be delivered. my main question is should i go windows vista or windows xp.

I see alot of benchmarks on this and they all show a performance drop with vista. i haven't been able to find one for the 3850 and i'm wondering is it possible that there will be very little to no performance difference because it is a new card and perhaps they designed it for vista?

cost of OS is not a factor for my decision and and i'm willing to go vista if there is 2fps difference or possibly 5fps difference on something like the orange box.

More about : 3850 vista performance

January 7, 2008 2:12:58 AM

My comments are for 3870 but they likely hold true for 3850 aswell;

There is a performance difference but I believe most of it is attributable to DX10. Playing Bioshock there is a noticable performance degradation on vista to xp, However when turing off dx10 mode in the settings file the performance becomes very similar to XP. (Using 1680*1050, all high settings on both OS's, cat 6.12)
January 7, 2008 10:56:31 AM

Agree with MikosNZ ..... the only problem with running XP is you will not be able to run the games in dx10 at all which will degrade the video quality . And NO there are no adjustments to make any game look as good as it could in dx10 .... contrary to what some try to tell you on here . Depends on what you want .... plus I'm sure future games will only be dx10 or above . I would'nt buy xp .... if you already have it dual boot ... if you have to buy an OS .... I'd advise Vista .... let's face it soon that's what will be the norm .
Related resources
January 7, 2008 5:34:27 PM

Well, sometimes (for example turning off DX 10 in Bioshock for vista, or running it in XP) will save you ALOT of FPS. Which will give you headroom for increasing resolution, or other goodies.

So MR,
"And NO there are no adjustments to make any game look as good as it could in dx10 .... contrary to what some try to tell you on here "

It comes down to taste, if disabling DX10 (or running in XP) give you more headroom for higher resolutions or settings. The the game could look (arguably) better. Its all up to ones taste on what "looks better". Its a trade-off for DX10 features vs other features. Its not a simple as you make it.
January 7, 2008 7:31:01 PM

hmm i spose i'll go vista then and have the option of dx10 or dx9 or dx10.1!

btw i didn't know operating systems cost money! owell
January 12, 2008 5:57:50 PM

Also I wouldn't get XP because it is about to go pthtththth..... off of the M$ support list. In a few years......
January 13, 2008 12:37:56 PM

trooper1947 said:
Agree with MikosNZ ..... the only problem with running XP is you will not be able to run the games in dx10 at all which will degrade the video quality . And NO there are no adjustments to make any game look as good as it could in dx10 .... contrary to what some try to tell you on here . Depends on what you want .... plus I'm sure future games will only be dx10 or above . I would'nt buy xp .... if you already have it dual boot ... if you have to buy an OS .... I'd advise Vista .... let's face it soon that's what will be the norm .

Soon as in 12 months or more you mean. XP has alot of life let in it yet. Vista isnt even in the majority of new pcs yet I read somewhere i think.
January 14, 2008 6:19:14 PM

spoonboy said:
Soon as in 12 months or more you mean. XP has alot of life let in it yet. Vista isnt even in the majority of new pcs yet I read somewhere i think.

Have'nt seen any new systems with XP shipped for a long time . It's just all the new games are dx10 .... and yes it does look better ... and I'm sure it will very soon be the minimum as the new shaders are now . It's just I would'nt advise anyone to purchase xp .... a step back for OS and face it Vista is the future ..... now .... whether we like it or hate it .
January 14, 2008 6:48:55 PM

Sharft6 said:
hmm i spose i'll go vista then and have the option of dx10 or dx9 or dx10.1!

btw i didn't know operating systems cost money! owell

Some do, and some dont. And the ones that do... well lets just say that you can get them for free if you look in the right places.
!