Sign in with
Your question

Sunbeam's Core Contact Freezer

Last response: in Overclocking
June 18, 2008 10:16:02 PM

This is ranked pretty high on Frostytech.com, but only has 1 newegg review. Are people buying this, or is there some problem with it that I don't know about. How does it compare the the Xigmatek s1283?

I'm looking for a shorter, lighter cooler that still has fantastic cooling. I looked for the Thermalright Ultima 90 (NOT the ultra-90) but can't seem to find much of anything about it, or how it performs next to the Sunbeam Freezer or Xigmatek s1283.

Recommendations?
June 18, 2008 10:19:46 PM

The Xigmatek S963 performs better than an AC7 and is on sale at newegg right now. It's a very good cooler, I'd say go for that.
June 18, 2008 10:43:36 PM

Evilonigiri said:
The Xigmatek S963 performs better than an AC7 and is on sale at newegg right now. It's a very good cooler, I'd say go for that.

Indeed,
only recently Xigmatek moved to #2 on the frosty list from a long run in first...

Xigmatek is a safe bet.
Related resources
June 18, 2008 11:09:26 PM

The core contact freezer (made buy the same company who made the tuniq tower, teh previous champion of the cooling charts) is based on the same direct touch tech as the xigmatek, but is, i believe, the same height and similar weight.

since you are looking for smaller lighter coolers the s963 would be a good choice
June 19, 2008 12:49:14 AM

So what's the best choice out of the smaller 92mm fan coolers? Is there any that compare to the Xigmatek s963?

Also, will this be enough for a quad core?
June 19, 2008 1:43:26 AM

from what i know there simply isnt. because that is the only HDT cooler out there which perform more then 30% efficient then the traditional copper block HSF.
June 19, 2008 7:31:01 AM

wildben said:
So what's the best choice out of the smaller 92mm fan coolers? Is there any that compare to the Xigmatek s963?

Also, will this be enough for a quad core?

If you don't have the room for the 1283, you'll want the Xigmatek SD-964 HDT. It has 4- 6mm heat pipes compared to the 963 which has 3. Both of the 96x models have the 92mm fan. http://www.xigmatek.com/product/aircooling.php

I'm running the SD-964 on my GO Q6600 @ 3.0GHz with stock volts (1.325) and it seems to do fine. If you plan to OC a lot or have high room temps you may want something else. My room temps are always below 25C. The 92mm does get loud if it has to throttle up.

June 19, 2008 1:36:10 PM

so is Sunbeam's Core Contact Freezer better than the t.r.u.e.?
June 19, 2008 1:42:54 PM

EDIT DOUBLE POST
June 19, 2008 7:53:46 PM

erm...i wouldnt be so sure about that. but if you dont OC to extreme speed HDT cooler is BETTER then TRUE.
July 11, 2008 3:21:05 AM

Where is the Sunbeam on newegg?
July 11, 2008 4:33:52 AM

Newegg discontinued selling it for some reason.

I can vouch for the core contact freezer. Right off the bat my idle core temps are 30C:30C, a 10C drop on each core. With a 24-hour Orthos blend test (E8400 @3800mhz, 1.275vcore) the highest temps reported during the entire run were 47C:50C (Using realtemp). Average temps during the test were 43-46ish. I bought it from www.coolerguys.com for about $42

Just be sure you have adequate room; I got lucky and was just able to squeeze this cooler into my mobo\case. The installation mechanism is very nice. One thing I was looking for in a cpu cooler is one that didn't attach with those cheesy clips (like the stock intel cooler). The core contact freezer has a black bracket you put around the base of the CPU socket, then you slide pins through each hole and it secures it in there very tightly. I am very impressed with the ease of installation as well as how secure the cooler is mounted. I accidentally had it mounted in the wrong direction the first time around and the pins easily came out and I was able to easily change the orientation of the heatsink.

My my wires are a bit messy. I'm in the process of selecting a SATA dvd-rw as well as getting shorter SATA cables for my hard-drives.

As you can see, the heatsink just clears my RAM and my northbridge heatsink. Installing this in that tight spot was tough because I could barely get my fingers in to attach the clips.

120mm intake fan blowing directly into cpu fan:

CPU fan speed controller is include with the cooler, I leave it cranked @ 100%. Others have reported it is noisy but I can't hear anything over my 120mm intake fan :x
!