Well, I have been out of the hardware loop for a couple of years, and it is time for an upgrade.
Here are my current specs:
Athlon 64 3500+
Asus Mobo (forget model)
1 gig of DDR2 Ram
This will mainly be for top end gaming.
For Xmass, I got:
- ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Ok, I'm pretty set on the GPU, getting a Lian Li PC-65 case and a Thermaltake Toughpower 650w powersupply. Along with the CPU and Mobo I already have, can you suggest a solid HDD and Ram (pref 4 gig for vista)?
I want this rig to last quite a while so, keep that in mind. Also, these parts are the only ones I will be purchasing, as the others are/were gifts
My main questions:
1. Should I go for 4 gb or just two?
2. Should I run the raptor as a Boot drive and get a larger drive for storage and games?
3. Is the powersupply going to be sufficient?
3. Plenty of power - good PSU.
2. You could get a single 500-750GB HD that is almost as fast as a Raptor. THG 3.5 HD Guide
1. If you're going with Vista32 2GB now will be fine. Also 3GB (2x1GB + 2x512MB) is a decent option.