homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
No, the INQ is not exactly a credible source, but they have been doing better lately. Hopefully this is just a bit of FUD, but with the higher clocked Phenoms pushed back again I just don't know what to think.

I believe that B3 will be delayed. I think there's a couple reasons. One of them is that I think it takes them a while to build up a good chip stock because of low yields due to their insistence on a monolithic design.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
They seem to just be quoting off of that french article, at least thats what its saying in that link. And let me guess...... the 45nm process is using the IBM high k gate process instead of SOI? Irony would be them having to outright skip 65nm on the quads. But damnit, what does the bug mean for the X2s and X3s?

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
No one can't really explain why the french got a B3 before anyone else. I think its not available, what they've got maybe its a pre-B3. meaning that the B3 could be more than just a TLB bugfix.. who knows...

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007

Six weeks for the first test of an attempted fix... Hopefully faster for the next few attempts...

Five months is the time at which point AMD plans/wants to have them shipping.

ro3dog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

Insisting?Is not Intel also going native quad

Exactly.

Like I said, AMD designs are more advanced than Intel designs in some regards, but Intel is smarter because if they can't high volume manufacture it, they won't attempt to make it.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

By AMD I suppose you mean DAAMIT :ange:

I really hate The Inquirer's acronyms.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

AMD native quad core at 65nm is their Netburst and they'll have to live with it. Just like Intel had to live with it because of all their "we'll reach 5 gigahertz in x number of years" mantra, AMD flogged "native quad core" vs. Intel for so long that by the time they realized it was a bust at 65nm it was too late.

At least I hope the May 8th date in the Inquirer article is accurate. I really would rather wait for 45nm Phenom after seeing the Wolfdale article at Xbit labs. Even if Intel's 45nm quad is delayed, the dual core thermals and the performance boost at 45nm from Intel cautions me not to accept any 65nm K10.

I'll stick with my X2's until May and then see how things spin out. Whatever I buy has to last for a couple of years, so I can wait for a few months, though part of me just wants to wait until 2009 and Swift. Maybe it's because I'm starting to lose my faith in AMD pulling through with any Phenom (I hate that name).

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Your right about the lasting for 2 years bit, I bought my e6300 november 2006, plan on keeping it for another year, then throw in a quad core, q6600 or whatever is cheap and has plenty of cache by then. Whenever I feel im lacking in the cpu department i just up the speeds by another 'model'. Started on e6300 stock, then overclocked it to 6400 speeds for a while, then 6600, and now 6700. Supreme commander and crysis prompted the last speed boost. For those interested, that extra 200 or so mhz gave an extra 10fps+ in supcom lol. I'll take her to 2.8, then 3.0ghz before I change. Sorry, off topic.

Anyway, they'll get phenom sorted eventually, the long wait till b3 I reckon must betray some kind of deeper redesign going on at amd. That'll give them time to get the 790 motherboards and bios' sorted out too. That end of things was also half baked.